Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do you usually sit in your doctor's waiting room?
Well I am insured with Kaiser. It tends to be fairly routine. But when I’m there I feel like cattle, or just another number.  Wait time if you set an appointment usually only takes about 10 minutes to be seen. However once they go through all their weight and blood pressure etc. and get you to a room. I will wait an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Then it seems like I have to go all over through trying to tell the doctor why exactly I’m there and being treated. No real sense of personal tailored assistance. Once I’m off to go get my meds that’s the part that feels like I’ve been at a drive-through waiting to get what I need and just as quick as I get it I am out but I’m still usually dissatisfied because of how quick and generic the doctor treated me and in the end it did not get exactly what I actually once I’m off to go get my meds that’s the part that feels like I’m at a drive-through waiting to get what I need and just as quick as I get it I am out but I’m still usually dissatisfied because of how quick and generic the doctor treated me and in the end did not get exactly what I actually wanted.
 There is more time than life ....  so make it count!
(02-26-2018, 01:38 AM)Xfizzler Wrote: Well I am insured with Kaiser. It tends to be fairly routine. But when I’m there I feel like cattle, or just another number.  Wait time if you set an appointment usually only takes about 10 minutes to be seen. However once they go through all their weight and blood pressure etc. and get you to a room. I will wait an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Then it seems like I have to go all over through trying to tell the doctor why exactly I’m there and being treated. No real sense of personal tailored assistance. Once I’m off to go get my meds that’s the part that feels like I’ve been at a drive-through waiting to get what I need and just as quick as I get it I am out but I’m still usually dissatisfied because of how quick and generic the doctor treated me and in the end it did not get exactly what I actually once I’m off to go get my meds that’s the part that feels like I’m at a drive-through waiting to get what I need and just as quick as I get it I am out but I’m still usually dissatisfied because of how quick and generic the doctor treated me and in the end did not get exactly what I actually wanted.

X, sounds like you are describing classic assembly line medicine. I feel that way sometimes when I am an inpatient at the hospital. Everyone there is playing their certain part and they act like they can do it in their sleep. All so generic and impersonal, as you say.  RM
(02-25-2018, 01:59 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Dear greaseman, panic attacks while driving sound horrible!  I guess you pull over?  

I wanted to add what really gets me about drs offices that make one wait forever it seems, are often so brutal and rude, if as a patient one is a few minutes late.

Last year or so, DD had a sinus infection and we sat in the car for a few minutes outside the drs office so she could eat some hot soup I had bought her.  The appointment was at 2pm and we walked into the office at 2:03 or so.  I guess they had a new policy that we were to be there 15 minutes early to 'check in'.  

The receptionist was pretty horrible, telling me that she was not sure the DD could see the doctor since we were so late.

I lost it which I don't do often.  I didn't swear or anything but said something like 'You have got to be kidding me. It's 2:03! Last week we waited over 45 minutes!'

Of course DD was horrified.  I hate that doctors office.  No empathy.  Working (or plan to) on switching DD and DH to another doctor.

Fireplaces, no my mom would drive me. No way that I was making that trek alone. I'm incredibly fortunate to have the support that I do.
(02-23-2018, 02:27 PM)scorpigoh Wrote: Rafterman,
I live in a small town in Western Arkansas and normally I have to wait about 15 min then another 10 in the treatment room and a typical  visit with the Dr. lasts about 15 min or so. Yesterday was something else. I had a 4 P.M. appointment and was trapped in the waiting room for 2 Hrs. with flu patients and sick children. Saw the Dr. for 10 min and out of there. It was bad. Glad to get home and scrub up and be grateful that I am healthy. S

Hey Scorpigoh,
That sucks about being trapped all that time with those sick folk and their kids. Man, it is dangerous just going to a doctors office. Do they offer those disposable masks to wear while you are waiting? My GP has a dispenser of those and I am happy to see that people are finally wearing them. At least it gives some protection. Its amazing how resistant doctors and nurses become to such illness. I catch more colds than my wife does and she's an RN who works exclusively with sick mothers and their kids. Anyhow, thanks for contributing!   RM
(02-26-2018, 06:37 AM)Rafterman Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 01:38 AM)Xfizzler Wrote: Well I am insured with Kaiser. It tends to be fairly routine. But when I’m there I feel like cattle, or just another number.  Wait time if you set an appointment usually only takes about 10 minutes to be seen. However once they go through all their weight and blood pressure etc. and get you to a room. I will wait an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Then it seems like I have to go all over through trying to tell the doctor why exactly I’m there and being treated. No real sense of personal tailored assistance. Once I’m off to go get my meds that’s the part that feels like I’ve been at a drive-through waiting to get what I need and just as quick as I get it I am out but I’m still usually dissatisfied because of how quick and generic the doctor treated me and in the end it did not get exactly what I actually once I’m off to go get my meds that’s the part that feels like I’m at a drive-through waiting to get what I need and just as quick as I get it I am out but I’m still usually dissatisfied because of how quick and generic the doctor treated me and in the end did not get exactly what I actually wanted.

X, sounds like you are describing classic assembly line medicine. I feel that way sometimes when I am an inpatient at the hospital. Everyone there is playing their certain part and they act like they can do it in their sleep. All so generic and impersonal, as you say.  RM
Hi Rafterman!

Sorry for the late response. But unfortunately this is the sad reality. I look around me and wonder how many other patients are there that don’t feel like they are truly being cared for. It really hurts me to see that.
(03-03-2018, 04:11 AM)Xfizzler Wrote:

Hi Rafterman!

Sorry for the late response. But unfortunately this is the sad reality. I look around me and wonder how many other patients are there that don’t feel like they are truly being cared for. It really hurts me to see that.
X., I know what you mean and I feel the same way. People are already in a vulnerable emotional and physical state when they are sick, then have to submit themselves for treatment to places that treatment to places that act as if they are just a number. I am a realist and I know that some of that is necessary to keep things moving, but it has gone too far. I can barely stand that interaction any more. It makes a difficult situation more difficult. Another peeve of mine if privacy. This is really a subject for a different thread, but I hate the 'one size fits all" treatment that patients get, particularly male patients. Female patients are usually accommodated when it comes to personal care, which I think is great. You aren't going to find too man male mammogram techs, if any, for instance. But if you are a guy who needs something urological (like kidney stone treatment), you don't get such an accommodation. The last thing that a sick person needs is unnecessary extra embarrassment added to his/her mental load. With a few policy tweaks, male patients can be better accommodated, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. The crime is that many will avoid treatment rather than subject themselves to that scenario. Okay, off the soapbox (for now!). Have a great day.
(03-07-2018, 10:53 PM)Rafterman Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 04:11 AM)Xfizzler Wrote:

Hi Rafterman!

X., I know what you mean and I feel the same way. People are already in a vulnerable emotional and physical state when they are sick, then have to submit themselves for treatment to places that treatment to places that act as if they are just a number. I am a realist and I know that some of that is necessary to keep things moving, but it has gone too far. I can barely stand that interaction any more. It makes a difficult situation more difficult. Another peeve of mine if privacy. This is really a subject for a different thread, but I hate the 'one size fits all" treatment that patients get, particularly male patients. Female patients are usually accommodated when it comes to personal care, which I think is great. You aren't going to find too man male mammogram techs, if any, for instance. But if you are a guy who needs something urological (like kidney stone treatment), you don't get such an accommodation. The last thing that a sick person needs is unnecessary extra embarrassment added to his/her mental load. With a few policy tweaks, male patients can be better accommodated, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. The crime is that many will avoid treatment rather than subject themselves to that scenario. Okay, off the soapbox (for now!). Have a great day.
Rafterman! Well said! And yes I agree that women do get better treatment. My wife’s Dr. is actually understanding and cares to listen to tailor to her needs. I just asked to be transferred over to her. Hopefully I too xmcan get better treatment. I appreciate your thoughts on the last message.
(03-22-2018, 06:35 PM)ChickenWing Wrote: "Assembly line medicine"..... Exactly.  And FirePlace's joke cracked me up too.
I'm in the same boat:  Tiny room waiting for an hour every time.  Sometimes more.
I've figured out that whenever a peppy pharmaceutical rep signs in right before me, I'm in for a long wait.  The eyeOP's have better exam rooms, IMO.

Howdy ChickenWing,
Would you care to say which part of the country you are experiencing those waits in? If not, it's totally cool. Maybe you can say if it's a big city or a rural area. I am starting to think that the long waits are more about which area of the country you are getting the service in. I used to think that the waits were shorter in rural areas and longer in urban areas, but I see that this not true. I go for my care in a city that is very urban and highly populated, but I never wait. I am thinking that is because I am in NC, where everyone seems to have the same experience. Very short waits, and then a long time spent with the doctor. They never rush you. Regards,  RM