Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do you usually sit in your doctor's waiting room?
Hey all,

Many of us who suffer from nervous illness find it difficult to wait for long periods of time in any situations from which we can not easily flee. This brings to mind the hundreds of times I have sat in a doctor's waiting room for what seemed like forever. I lived in NY/NJ for 47 years before moving to the South. I began to think that the long waits that I experienced up North were how it was all over the country. I was wondering how it is for you guys, so I started this thread.

A doctor certainly thinks that his or her time is valuable, but so is yours. How long do you usually sit around in a waiting room before being called in? I have lived in NY, NJ, NC and, briefly, in FL. Here goes....

In NY and NJ, you better pack a lunch because the doctor will not be seeing you anytime soon. The usual wait is about 90 minutes and then he/she sees you for 10 minutes, or so.

In Fl, not much better. Maybe a one hour wait and then 15 minutes of attention (Miami area).

In NC, paradise! I do not believe that I have ever waited more than 5 minutes in a doctor's waiting room. Most of the time, I sign in at the desk and they tell me to go right in. This isn't at just one of my doctor's offices. It's at all of them. Then the doc examines/talks with you for up to an hour. I am not making this up. He/she treats you like no one else is waiting to be seen after you. Blood work, lab tests? Same deal. Walk right in, and you are out of there in no time. Anyone here from Jersey? Try getting a blood test done there in under an hour, especially in North Jersey.

I don't expect much response to this thread, but I think it would be kind of cool if anyone else wanted to chime in with their experiences
. Thanks!
Haha, Fire, that's pretty funny! I'm sure RM appreciates the humor (hope I'm not speaking for you, RM). I live in southern US, so for me it's typically a 5-15 min wait for my psych meds doc. She and I talk for about 10-15 mins. Definitely out of there, billed paid, next appt made, etc. in half an hour. For regular docs, could be a bit longer, which I don't mind. I just don't like being brought back into the exam room to wait another 30 minutes, which happens more and more often.
(02-17-2018, 08:05 PM)Blockhead59 Wrote: Haha, Fire, that's pretty funny! I'm sure RM appreciates the humor (hope I'm not speaking for you, RM). I live in southern US, so for me it's typically a 5-15 min wait for my psych meds doc. She and I talk for about 10-15 mins. Definitely out of there, billed paid, next appt made, etc. in half an hour. For regular docs, could be a bit longer, which I don't mind. I just don't like being brought back into the exam room to wait another 30 minutes, which happens more and more often.

Yeah I feel like Charlie Brown kicking the football when I end up sitting in the back forever. You wait out front and think your getting somewhere when your name is called only to sit and wait some more. It can be very frustrating.
I'm not sure about drop in appointments, like ER or Urgent care, but for scheduled psychiatric appointments my doctors have always been on time. I assume it's because they have appointments back to back. Like when my appointment time is up they're like ok that's it byeeeeee haha.
depends on the doctor but if i have a appt no longer then 10 mins after the scheduled time
It really depends on the day really. Usually if I'm on time (5-10 minutes early) then I wait until I am 15mins late for my actual appointment.

e.g. appointment at 9am, I arrive at 8:50am. I finally get called 9:15am.

I decided to not to come in early anymore, just on time.

If I am early I call them and let them know.
Life has moments that makes everything seem pitch black. I don't know how I get out of it. But when I do, I fear for the next time I'll be in the same situation.
Wow! Thanks to all of you for making this a great thread so far. Its just been up for a couple of days and I didn't expect many to respond. I love reading about everybody's experiences. RM
Rafterman,
I live in a small town in Western Arkansas and normally I have to wait about 15 min then another 10 in the treatment room and a typical  visit with the Dr. lasts about 15 min or so. Yesterday was something else. I had a 4 P.M. appointment and was trapped in the waiting room for 2 Hrs. with flu patients and sick children. Saw the Dr. for 10 min and out of there. It was bad. Glad to get home and scrub up and be grateful that I am healthy. S
For me, waiting times for any doctor or even a lab, they
are quite efficient ! I'm impressed and happy cuz my anxiety
is off the charts. I'm in the upper midwest! Shy
Usually I don't wait long. 10 minutes or so. My original problem was driving 45 minutes to a behavioral therapist. Panic attacks mid flight, lol not fun!