Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting diazepam prescribed in the UK.
I've been told by my GP that they can no longer prescribe Diazepam in the UK, unless it's about 5 2mg tabs for someone who's afraid to fly, and if they enter say 30 10mg tabs on their computer it automatically is removed, which he actually showed me and said 10mg tabs are no longer available.

But I've read that you can still get them with a private prescription and that NHS GP's can write them if you pay them about £15. I asked my GP to write me a private one and he said he wouldn't do it, even though he knows I buy diazepam off the internet.

Has anyone got a private prescription from an NHS GP? How much did it cost? HowTF did you get it? Should I try moving to a different doctors and asking them?
Sorry I can't answer the private doc bit.

This could be wrong, but I heard the issue is specifically with 10mg pills rather than 5mg (only a rumor, but it sounds like your doc did not explore that option - maybe they didn't want to). I heard of prescriptions for people with newly diagnosed anxiety or panic attacks who are getting 2mg.
2 MG in Diazepam, or better know as Valium.

Huh, I had never heard of that. Only 5 and 10 ...is that an England thing, or ?

And 10 MG no longer available, I had not heard of that....of course not in UK.

If you find out for sure post , okay.
10mg are available, but NHS doctors under massive pressure not to prescribe them (especially in England). Pharmacies still have 10mg (although may need to order in). Not sure about what the OP described with the computer wiping out a prescription for 10mg. Could be specific to that medical practice. Not aware of any legal change, I think this is more NHS policy.

I understood that 2mg were originally for tapering purposes, so have been very surprised to see people with a new diagnosis of panic attack / generalised anxiety scripted 2mg and nothing else. That's virtually homoeopathic, as my old doctor would put it.

BTW I do not work in the medical profession, just know a lot of people who do. If I find out anything more concrete I will post here.
Been told they don't want diaz prescribed to patients as they are scared of a person becoming addicted and then suing them for causing the addiction,know a few people who have had the prescribed for a few years now,not where i live though,they are totally verbotten.
It's so wrong what they are doing to patients here in the UK with regard to benzos, Diazepam in particular.  I've been taking Diazepam most of my adult life, half of that being prescribed by a GP who introduced them to me, the other half buying them first from off 'the street', and then then from various iops.  
It was really annoying that these people were getting loads of pills from thier GP for free, just for the soul purpose of selling them on at extortionate prices, whilst I couldn't get what I actually needed from my GP!  I've not found a GP(in the last ten years), that will give me a maintanence prescription(one that carries on in-definitely), I've only been offered a reducing script. Even though I became physically and mentally dependant on them when GPs in the UK handed them out like cookies!  
They are VERY adictive and are dangerous to suddenly stop taking them, my GP will only offer me a reducing prescription because of just how dangerous it is to stop taking them without a gradual, controlled reduction, my GP has told me that you can actually die from seizures if you stop abruptly taking Diazepam!  Understandably, that's probably why they wouldn't give them out to new patients, especially if there are other medications for there particular need.  
For me personally, I'm gonna be on them for the rest of my life, that's a personal desision I've made for myself.  The last time I tried living without diazipam was about 6/7 years ago, they were absolutely hell on earth to stop, even after a reducing precription the physical withdrawl carried on and on for months. 
Mentally, I ended up lost, and didn't leave my house for 22 months after that. I could not even go to my front gate to put out my bins, if I had not had a very good friend living with me I probably wouldn't be writing this now, I just wouldn't have coped.  
I'm only posting this as some people have very real medical reasons for needing Diazipam in higher doses, and yes partly because of tolerance build up.  I'm never going back to the place that nearly beat me, the one the NHS put me into in the first place!
The NHS has left me and many others out to dry, quite litterly! ?

But hell, and screw 'em! - I don't need the NHS and their excuses!  I have a great iop (he's on here and he's the best, even more understanding than my own GP, and she knows my medical history!?!). I actually take less some days than what I was first prescribed all those years ago, I'm free now to take what doseage I feel I need on any given day... Happy days indeed! ☺

Izzy xx
Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path...
And leave a trail... of Love, Laughter and Understanding.