Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware
Angry
The D*E*A is warning the public about criminals posing as D*E*A special agents or other LE personnel as part of an international extortion scheme.
The criminals call the victims and identify themselves as D*E*A agents or LE officials from other agencies. The impersonators inform their victims that purchasing drugs over the internet or by telephone is illegal, and that enforcement action will be taken against them unless they pay a fine. In most cases, the impersonators instruct their victims to pay the "fine" via wire transfer to a designated location, usually overseas. If victims refuse to send money, the impersonators often threaten to arrest them or search their property.
The public should be aware that no D*E*A agent will ever contact members of the public by telephone to demand money or any other form of payment.

" To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art"
Heart
Thank you, Orange Clay. I have seen people fall for it. Till they thought about it a bit. Good work.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
(05-02-2015, 04:26 PM)Charon Wrote: Thank you, Orange Clay.  I have seen people fall for it.  Till they thought about it a bit.  Good work.

You are most welcome, thought we should post this as I've seen on other forums were ppl have actually received these calls. Heart

Heart
I have also seen people fall for this scam. Very upsetting. Disgusting actually.
This scam comes and goes about once or twice a year. This has been happening since the early to mid 2000's.

Even when DB was the main forum for peeps this was happening.
The weak fall, but the strong will remain and never go under! - Anne Frank
I recently recd a message from someone who said they were from the IRS. I deleted it.

Anyone else ever get one of those calls?

All of out taxes are in order and I doubt an IRS agent would call and leave a message. Just didn't seem real to me. I figure the IRS would send a certified letter if there really was an issue.

Hope so anyway.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
You figured correctly, Fireplaces. This is the same type scam OrangeClay posted, only it's scams impersonating IRS agents rather than DEA agents.

"There are clear warning signs about these scams, which continue at high levels throughout the nation,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “Taxpayers should remember their first contact with the IRS will not be a call from out of the blue, but through official correspondence sent through the mail. A big red flag for these scams are angry, threatening calls from people who say they are from the IRS and urging immediate payment. This is not how we operate. People should hang up immediately and contact TIGTA or the IRS.”

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Repe...hone-Scams
An IRS agent can/will call individuals depending on reason, BUT they must provide a Case # and direct you to call back to a traceable phone number or to call a publicly listed IRS Branch and give the Case # before giving any additional information.

Whomever calls only gives you the information to call back with.

However, as Zander posted "first attempts" are mail and this is only after mail attempts have failed.

My ex after we split decided taxes weren't his thing and of course the phone # on his past returns was the one I still had in the house.
The weak fall, but the strong will remain and never go under! - Anne Frank
Thanks Harley and Zander for the info. I figured it was a scam, but nice to get that confirmed!
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
FP, I checked out the I*R*S website, they have a scam section and Zander is correct, they will contact you by mail 1st
The I-R-S will never:

Angrily demand immediate payment over the phone, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.

Heart