Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Benzodiazepine Withdrawal support
I will be starting a long slow taper from Suboxone after being in it for 8 years. Only on 4mg a day. Wish me luck and will keep everyone posted, if you have advice please share I am open to everyones opinion, thanks guys,
Andy

(Sorry misread, thought this was bupe withdrawal. But if anyone has advice still please PM, sorry got off topic)
Benzo withdraw is very hard I have tried many times to stop and I had no luck. I have finally got it under control with only taking a set amount a month that too me works.
Andybones,
I wish you all the luck in the world,I do know that a slow taper is for sure the way to go do not rush it.
(12-18-2015, 04:26 AM)andybones Wrote: I will be starting a long slow taper from Suboxone after being in it for 8 years. Only on 4mg a day. Wish me luck and will keep everyone posted, if you have advice please share I am open to everyones opinion, thanks guys,
Andy

(Sorry misread, thought this was bupe withdrawal. But if anyone has advice still please PM, sorry got off topic)

Hey andybones,

I can't PM yet but have been through this personally. I was on MMT for 7.5 years and then Suboxone for about 2. I figured out how to do a long-term liquid dilution taper and did not experience ANY acute or post actute withdrawals. I will be glad to spell out in detail what I did. Maybe a new thread on the topic?

1st step is to get down to 2mg a day and then look at the liquid dilution method. When I was finally off I wondered what the hell had kept me on maintenance opiates for so dang long. The FEAR of withdrawals was my biggest problem. The fear never turned into reality though!
This is excellent information!! Thank you for posting it. I'm an anxiety suffer and I take Xanax but there's this thing called tolerance that sneaks up on you, lol. This info will help me so much as I continue my slow taper. Benzo w/d is the worst! I have a benzo emergency kit with a few other benzos with much longer half-lives, that's it.  Confused
(12-18-2015, 06:00 PM)ghostofjack Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 04:26 AM)andybones Wrote: I will be starting a long slow taper from Suboxone after being in it for 8 years. Only on 4mg a day. Wish me luck and will keep everyone posted, if you have advice please share I am open to everyones opinion, thanks guys,
Andy

Hey andybones,

I can't PM yet but have been through this personally. I was on MMT for 7.5 years and then Suboxone for about 2. I figured out how to do a long-term liquid dilution taper and did not experience ANY acute or post actute withdrawals. I will be glad to spell out in detail what I did. Maybe a new thread on the topic?

1st step is to get down to 2mg a day and then look at the liquid dilution method. When I was finally off I wondered what the hell had kept me on maintenance opiates for so dang long. The FEAR of withdrawals was my biggest problem. The fear never turned into reality though!

That would be very helpful my friend, perhaps a new bupe detox thread could be made for those of us on this medicine and it'll be nice to hear everones opinion/experience. I can start the thread or you can just let me know if you want me to. I really appreciate the info, I'm in the same position, I'm ready to get off, I am no longer craving any type of a high and I do not abuse anything. Still on subs due to fear of the withdrawal and what this medicine has actually done to my body after all these years, since its a strong opuate it could be covering up things I'm unaware of now that I'm getting older (well still young in the sense, but I started opiate use after high school back in 06 and have been clean over 8 years)

--- sorry for off topic post guys
(09-16-2015, 12:31 PM)willie33 Wrote: I hope this is okay to post here.  I have my own problems with benzodiazepine addiction.

www.benzobuddies.org

Lots of information on benzodiazepine withdrawal

Shy

I think unless in those shoes it is a very underestimated hard withdrawal. Good post Wink
Thanks to the folks who read my posts on this thread and wished me luck. My posts have since disappeared (when that site glitch thing happened some users were wiped)
Anyway I thought I'd let you know I haven't started my taper yet, I'm still on 10mg diazepam per day (5mg at around 07:30 and 5mg around 13:00)
My current job is very intense and requires a LOT of social interaction, so starting a taper (and wd's to a certain degree) wouldn't be ideal at present.

Im planning on changing my career though, so hopefully I can start my taper maybe 01/01/2017 or something.

Good luck to everyone going through it.
I was really lucky with my benzo w/d. All of u reading this won't even consider it to be a withdrawal, but i present the facts just to show everyone is different.

Year one- discover iops, 3 times a year buy 100mg of xanax.
Year two- rediscover old friend Charlie, last name Schedone.  Discover that xanax is really great for putting up w Charlies anxiety inducing antics.
Continue slow use pattern- a monthlong visit from charlie and use of xanax a month at a time, couple times a year.
Year four- meet someone with money to burn paying street price on xanax. "Hey bro i can get you 300 pills for $400". The actual deal being 1000 pills for $500- netting me 700mg for a benjamin.
So now with constant access, i realize things in my life less serious than charlie are firing up the anxiety and thus start hitting the xanax i now have hundreds of lying around.
The deal 700/300 split with mu buddy continues at least 5 years.  My tolerance is thru the roof, im taking 30 bars and feeling zilch.
At some point its impossible that im not hooked- double digit mgs of alp over 5 years is gonna give u the bug.
I switched to banana Clonotril since if im gonna eat handfuls ot should be a pleasant experience. Plus halflife was a concern at this point.
So im eating 30 2mg clons a day, and one day realize " WHY. They are way beyond javing any effects ".

So i paid a buddy to set me up with a co.passionate shrink who put me on 3mg a day. But i gotta get down there from 60mg. I got one last g pack and planned an aggressive taper. D
Day 1- 30xmg became 15. Did that for a week, no ill 
effects.
Took 15x2mg for 2 weeks. Time for another aggressive drop. 15 down to 8 2mg pills. 4 weeks no ill effects.
From here i slowed it. I'd drop 1 2mg pill every 4 weeks. Continue with this schedule till im at 2mg a day. Cut it to 1mg a day for at least a year.

One day i forgot to take it and felt fine. I started stretching 1mg ev 2 days, ev 3, twice a week. At that point i stopped taking them and the worst i got was a 2 week nonstop panic attack. No fun, but a hell of a lot better than real withdrawal.

My theory is that i was taking so much at the highest point, that when i dropped to one mg for a year ot was like my body considered it to be the same as nothing.

I keep my rx, i use it if i have a panic attack, or to come down from adderall or certain LSD analog RCs. My tolerance went down, which has never happened to me- i could stop OC for a year then slam 120mg for the same effect as before. But now benzos effect me in normal human ranges.

I dont recommend that aggressive detox schedule, i had huge amounts of med on hand ( but i guess I don't recommend that either lol). I only offer the story of my experience, for the possibility that a drug garbage can like i was will see it and realize he too can get off.

Another point that wont endear me to u guys but has to be in for accuracy, is that i never ran out of pills once in the 6/7 year period of addiction. I was so scared of a seizure i always had a 2 week supply on my keychain.  So i dont know the very real agony of a bozo withdrawal, and i'm sorry for that just because it takes from my credibility
A gradual taper is definitely the way to go. The "aggressive detox" is not the way to go with this (or alcohol, for that matter). It is too dangerous - more dangerous than the substance itself, actually. It takes times, willpower, and a good plan (and sticking to that plan). Many years ago, I had a similar pattern of usage (frankly,I got to the point where I did not and could not keep track of my consumption, but it was something along the lines of what you described), and I was taking far beyond what could be a considered a therapeutic dose for anyone. I went the "aggressive detox" route (I had no choice in the matter) and suffered seizures, long periods of unconsciousness, and memory loss as a result. I am quite possibly lucky to still be alive from that ordeal. So I ask all of you, please don't follow in my footsteps. Use more discretion than I had at that point in my life.

Thanks for sharing your story, BoomerB. It's good information and I think everyone should know it.