Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Benzodiazepines and their Differences
(08-25-2015, 05:00 PM)Breacher Wrote: Hi Kitty,

It's a pleasure to meet you. I take Alprazolam only occasionally if I'm having difficulty sleeping or when travelling by plane and need to sleep. For this purpose and only occasionally I find it works quite well and it's also good for reducing anxiety in certain social or public environments which I wouldn't otherwise feel comfortable in. Having had access to a number of other benzo's in the past, I've tried quite a few just to compare and satisfy my curiosity.

Valium I found to be great for both reducing anxiety and muscle relaxation if you're having muscle spasms or something like restless leg syndrome. Valium is not as sleep inducing for me as Alpraz but what I don't like about Valium is how it stays in your system for longer (which could be a benefit for some) and I find myself feeling a little down and groggy when it wears off or the following day.

Temazepam I tried maybe twice as a sleep aid and felt quite shitty and with a mild headache the following day but I slept like a log.

Clonazepam in sublinguel tablets I thought would be quite a good one for people who need to prevent anxiety throughout the day whilst still allowing fairly normal functionality when working. It has a quick onset but a long half life and without really and groggy after effects.

Lorazepam also sublinguel tablets I believe are often prescribed for people who experience panic attacks as it's very fast acting. I found it quite good for muscle relaxation but even at a low dose of 2mg I noticed it effecting my motor skills and coordination more than any of the one's mentioned above.

Lormetazepam I tried when I was bedridden due to a back injury but I can't give a solid opinion on the effects as I'd also had some codeine at the time.

I hope some of you can find my experiences with the above listed benzo's helpful in some way but we must remember that we're all different and therefore so will be our experiences. I had no tolerance with any of the above benzo's before the experiences. With all that being said, I would definitely say that  my first preference would be the Alpraz as I prefer the shorter half life and it doesn't give me any real negative side effects.

Cheers,

@Kitty, I too am sorry for all the trauma you have gone through. A good trauma resolution therapist is not a bad idea, as you try out other benzos.

@Breacher, what brand of Valium have you found to be most helpful for muscle spasms and in what dosage? I probably have 10 different brands of diazepam and have tried 10 mg up to 40mg. and I can't get a handle on my back and neck spasms with anything other than soma.

Thank you for your help. R.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that’s why they call it the present.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You can observe a lot by just watching. Yogi Berra
miss kitty: i love u. u r a girl after my own heart. i watch that investigation discovery channel if i am allowed the remote, and i learned to keep a hammer right near me. they won't be expecting that. or a crowbar.

i have the real mace, my late uncle's brass knuckles. and i carry a switchblade if i go for the mail.

it changes one forever.

i am so sorry my friend had to experience this nonsense. I know u r a believer, so i am comforted by: peace I leave with you, peace I give to you, not as the world giveth do i give. Therefore, let not your heart be troubled nor afraid.

i gotta admit i was kind to a neighbor, offering him a glass of water. and, he was on me in a minute. even my stun gun was missing. so, somehow he got in and knew where my weaponry was. i heard he died of an overdose within three months of that attack. few years ago. i posted it here already so i may as well admit it now.

makes me stay in the house more.

something tells me that you will survive this, and survive this well, also. i am so sorry, and, man, was God angry the day he gave you and i our lives? kidding. I reckon he knows what we can handle.

There was some purpose to this that we don't know. Maybe you are helping someone whom read this on the forum tonite.

I pray peace over you and your loved ones, my friend.

I would not worry about the benzo. You, my love, are a saint. If and when you are ready, then you go off. But, there is no hurry.

Poor Miss Kitty. I am calling it a nite. Sweet dreams and peace over you.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
(08-26-2015, 12:40 AM)Rumor Wrote:
(08-25-2015, 05:00 PM)Breacher Wrote: Hi Kitty,

It's a pleasure to meet you. I take Alprazolam only occasionally if I'm having difficulty sleeping or when travelling by plane and need to sleep. For this purpose and only occasionally I find it works quite well and it's also good for reducing anxiety in certain social or public environments which I wouldn't otherwise feel comfortable in. Having had access to a number of other benzo's in the past, I've tried quite a few just to compare and satisfy my curiosity.

Valium I found to be great for both reducing anxiety and muscle relaxation if you're having muscle spasms or something like restless leg syndrome. Valium is not as sleep inducing for me as Alpraz but what I don't like about Valium is how it stays in your system for longer (which could be a benefit for some) and I find myself feeling a little down and groggy when it wears off or the following day.

Temazepam I tried maybe twice as a sleep aid and felt quite shitty and with a mild headache the following day but I slept like a log.

Clonazepam in sublinguel tablets I thought would be quite a good one for people who need to prevent anxiety throughout the day whilst still allowing fairly normal functionality when working. It has a quick onset but a long half life and without really and groggy after effects.

Lorazepam also sublinguel tablets I believe are often prescribed for people who experience panic attacks as it's very fast acting. I found it quite good for muscle relaxation but even at a low dose of 2mg I noticed it effecting my motor skills and coordination more than any of the one's mentioned above.

Lormetazepam I tried when I was bedridden due to a back injury but I can't give a solid opinion on the effects as I'd also had some codeine at the time.

I hope some of you can find my experiences with the above listed benzo's helpful in some way but we must remember that we're all different and therefore so will be our experiences. I had no tolerance with any of the above benzo's before the experiences. With all that being said, I would definitely say that  my first preference would be the Alpraz as I prefer the shorter half life and it doesn't give me any real negative side effects.

Cheers,

@Kitty, I too am sorry for all the trauma you have gone through. A good trauma resolution therapist is not a bad idea, as you try out other benzos.

@Breacher, what brand of Valium have you found to be most helpful for muscle spasms and in what dosage? I probably have 10 different brands of diazepam and have tried 10 mg up to 40mg. and I can't get a handle on my back and neck spasms with anything other than soma.

Thank you for your help. R.

Hi Rumor,

I found about 20mg of either Roche or Beta brand from TTM to work quite well for me. The muscle spasms I was experiencing that time weren't that severe. The problem was my upper glute on one side contracting and causing some back pain. What fixed it in the end was massage, actually not really a massage, just my wife standing on my bum for about 10 mins. Upper glute right side.

Anyway, good luck Rumor and I hope you find a good sustainable solution. Take Care.
(08-25-2015, 04:32 PM)Charon Wrote: poor kittycat.  the laws were very different.  and, in many a small town, women are stalked to their deaths.

Praise God you survived and the scum is behind bars.

I had several stalkers when younger.  I was in a very high scale town and the Police, seeing that TONY ROCK, had broken my bedroom window to get in (not believing my dogs whom i attack trained really would kill,) and leaving blood behind right straight to his house down the block, made sure that Postal Worker never went near me nor threatened to set my house on fire again.  It was god awful how he would call and describe how he would slit my throat.  and, those of my family members.

It is a terrifying experience.  Forever.  To this day, I always carry weaponry, even when i sleep, and when i walk, i do three steps and a quick turn around, then proceed.  (And, it was not just in the Bronx where we worked that I did that.  i do that walk today.  Never again.)

I am so sorry u went thru that.  Yeah, yeah, off topic, but, my God, girlfriend, u have been thru hell on this earth.  And, u have an awesome attitude.

God really has his hand on u and ur family.

Carry on.  Girl Talk.

My gosh Charon, that must have been a horrible experience! My heart goes out to all you, Kitty and all women and everyone who has had problems with sickos who think they can do something like that to an innocent person.  I am happy you had those dogs!
morning, Mr. Kona. Thank you for understanding.

I shall let our Miss Kitty respond as i dagnabbit added to her thread. Bad habit of mine.

Have a glorious day, Mr.Kona.
@Charon, i never, ever mind when you add to threads. That is the point, in my opinion, so please add away! And you know how I feel about you, lovely friend.  Heart

Life is too short to look back for too long.  When i think about those days, I can do so without emotion, it feels like a lifetime ago. But it does make you a tough cookie.  No more naivety for me.

Sorry, I digress. As usual. Wink 

Anyone have any experience with any benzos, good or bad? Have you tried more than one? How long have you been on them? Daily, or occassional?
If i have not posted this yet, I have been prescribed valium 10 mg thrice a day since I was 15/16 and my tremors started.

I go through withdrawal all the time. Luck of the draw.

I never needed to up my dosage. And, I don't go for "high class" valium. Just plain, old regular ones.

We are back on topic!
I wonder if I could get prescribed diazepam instead of s*ma for my leg spasms and wean off the alprazolam? 
@Charon, withdrawal stinks! I'm sorry you go through it :-(
well, mine is prescribed for tremors and the muscle spasms I have.

i am fine with withdrawal from valium. i take an Inderal, a heart med, if I go into Fight or Flight mode. And, my heart races.

But, xanax is harder to come off. You can do it if the doctor is your friend.

Soma was glorious for me. For the broken back. Nothing else helped like soma. But, valium was proven to work on the striata and something else of the back muscles.

So, whereas it can help with our day to day type anxiety, that only a chronic pain sufferer can know, and, probably allows me to be more social my whole life (cuz i am extremely shy in reality,) I do believe it helps me so much by relaxing my various muscles. Big time. I don't get loopy. No one knows I am on it but for me.

But, when I am in withdrawal, i hunch my body forward, and stay kinda clenched up. And, it hurts far more.

Valium prevents that. For me. I can use my arms better and for longer. And, my hands as well.

The problem is some doctors are nut jobs about one being prescribed a valid old fashioned medicine. Doctors get money and gifts to prescribe the newer meds. I know because my doctor sister was president of three NYC radiology hospitals. She was offered trips, and benefits that were unbelievable. If she only prescribed the newer drugs the companies were promoting.

But, based on what you are being prescribed now, I think your physician sounds reasonable. It is worth asking his or her opinion on this.

I took xanax for a three month experiment, and it does not have the ability to relax your entire body the way valium does.

Talk about a muscle relaxant. And, I mean you take one. But, it stops the clenching from pain that I find myself always doing.

Worth asking, girlfriend. Hope u r well.
@Kittycat,
I think I have tried them all. My father died 3 months after I left home to finish my last 2years of college. My Uncle gave me a 10mg. Valium to get through the funeral. There was a lot of other stuff going on at the time and my extended family insisted I go to therapy. My therapist had me evaluated by a shrink who put me on tranxene for my anxiety, depression and grief.

Later on I tried Xanax and Xanax XR when I hit another rough patch and was working. The XR took care of my anxiety and I could still function at work. Xanax has also helped me with neck spasms from degenerative disc disease more than Valium, so far.

I read that Valium supposedly helped with back and neck spasms, but I have yet to figure out which kind to take and in what dosage. Soma seems to work best.

I was prescribed Ativan prior to a surgery I needed to have. Ativan is not a favorite of most people, because the effects on memory on obvious, almost immediately.

Klonopin/clonazapam is a favorite of many. It is often prescribed at 0.5 m.g. to start. I have always been a fan of the "banakins" which are the torrent sublingual from India. SS4U usually carries them. Since I no longer drink, I will take one when I get home from a lousy day at work. Sublingual starts to work faster than swallowing with water and some days I need that.

Bromazepam --does not really do anything for me. Comes in 3,6 and 12mg( hard to find).

Temazepam/Restoril--does not really do anything for me either.

My PCP, much to my surprise, actually prescribes me halcion/triazalom for sleep. It does work for me.

Rohypnol--never understood the fuss.

Noctamed/Lormetazepam--not bad for sleep.

Lendorman/brotizolam--for me, not as good as halcion for sleep.

Serax/oxazepam--ok for sleep.

Midazolaam/Doricum --ok for a nap...better than Sonata.

Ambien and Ambien cr--just ok for me...like the rest of the sleeping pills.

Research chemical--Etizolam--would be 2nd to Xanax to me, but tolerance can build really fast, but nice occasionally, especially the sublingual.

Between insomnia and anxiety on and off over the years, I think I have tried pretty much everything. Left out some of the sleepers, as your question was about benzos. I don't take something everyday and it took a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best and when for me.

I keep Xanax, clonazapam, Valium and etizolam on hand and while I am sure there can be cross tolerance, I rarely take the same thing 2 days in a row other than my sleeping pill with a side of melatonin. And that is the only thing I take almost daily.

Has the Xanax stopped working for you?

Everyone's body chemistry and metabolism is different. I am guessing that I am a fast metabolizer when it comes to benzos which is why I have gone through so much trial and error. There is new science, in its infancy, that does gene testing to show what meds work best for different people. It is used for depression and the major mental illnesses, as well as, pain medications. It is quite interesting.

Feel free to ask me anything. I will help, if I can, if I haven't answered the question you have posed. Wishing you much relief, R.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that’s why they call it the present.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You can observe a lot by just watching. Yogi Berra