Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Coronavirus - any plans for protection?
Well my trip has been cancelled. I feel relieved however if my uncle goes from bad to worse I will get on a plane to be with him during his last days. It’s the right thing to do. And I have to support my mom. We all have to do what we think is right for our own situations.
OR
As of today they just shut down almost everything in my state. All schools will be closed this Tuesday thru April 7th, they also are only allowing take out or delivery in all restaurants and bars. No dining in anywhere allowed. Also, no more than 25ppl allowed in a business at a time except for grocery stores. They legit banned it. Mass loves to ban things and I understand the importance of not letting this virus spread, I just hope they are going to come up with a way for people who depend on income to be able to live and get by financially during this time. I know some who are for this and some who are against... but as far as protection goes we all need to come together and put a stop to this. Not just as a state but as a country. I’ve only been hearing what’s happening in the NE, but what is everyone else’s governments doing to help protect you?
~~Patience is the gateway to success~~
Nyc just closed schools. A great number of children rely on free school lunches for breakfast and lunch. But I do think closing was the right choice. I just hope that parents who are on the front lines (first responders, doctors, nurses, have access to free child care. Restaurants are going to be open for delivery and takeout. My office of 1000 people has one case so now we have to self quarantine for 14 days. This is all surreal in the worst way. I stay inside for people who are elderly or with pre-exsisting conditions. My dad had open heart surgery last year and my sister just had a baby.

Im not a religious person but I ask the universe to watch over all us because it’s times like these I need a higher power to stay positive!
The UK numbers look smaller than USA, but of course the UK has a much smaller population - as a proportion of population they are similar. Also the UK is only testing those admitted to hospitals, so if you are sick with it at home then that won't show up in the stats. Since they have gone for the herd-immunity approach, that basically accepts or intends for 60-80% of the population to get it. (I think it an immoral strategy since it purposefully accepts 100,000s of deaths as a by-product - more social distancing like other countries have done would slow the outbreak. Even if we only slow it, that's still more time for scientists to find which existing medicines help, thus reducing death rate.)

In the UK schools aren't yet shut on the basis that if you send the kids home, who has to look after them? Either key workers (e.g. nurses) or good ol grandma and grandpa, who are more vulnerable. I get the logic of that for now... Individual schools are shut if they actually have a confirmed case, they deep clean them and then re-open. I would imagine that as numbers grow that policy will become impossible and they'll have to move to something else - besides parents who can take their kids out of school are starting to do that.

Another fundamental difference is the UK has a bit more of a safety net when it comes to being unemployed. There is a lot of criticism about it not being much money and paid in arrears (Conservative government has eroded these provisions, but they still exist.). There is some political pressure for the government to bail out small businesses, Uber drivers etc. Maybe there should be an "isolation payment" so anyone self isolating gets a payment. At the moment they seem to be doing more with having banks and landlords forgive a missed payment.

I'd say they could cut the paperwork and pay a lump sum to every single adult, but then make it taxable at a later point... So I have a job that pays ok etc, so don't really deserve extra money - you could tax people in such a way that anyone like me would end up paying all or some of it back - but worry about that in the future, for now just turn the financial taps(faucets) on. Giving people money might sound borderline mad, but if we are on the verge of another financial meltdown, because people stop spending (other than toilet roll and hand sanitiser) - who is going to go on holiday, visit a restaurant, bar, cafe, theatre/er, etc when this thing peaks? People need to carry on living through that period and then once out the other side start spending, rather than have their own finances in ruins. Yes dumping money into people's pockets produces inflation but this is a global emergency. If people cannot afford to stay off work when they are sick then they spread it around and the whole thing gets worse.

The most anxiety provoking elements are the unknown and having so little control. I've tried to work with neighbours so I feel like I'm doing something. We all live in little houses (terrace style) around our communal garden. As a scientist I ordered the ingredients from a lab supplies company to make up 200 bottles of alcohol gel (70% alcohol). I'm either swapping those or taking a small donation to cover the cost, not profiteering (I'll probably make a small loss because the empty bottles were surprisingly expensive).

Stay safe as you can my friends... as people self isolate I'm sure some of us will want to congregate here to relieve the anxiety and boredom a bit!
(03-16-2020, 04:39 AM)happyvibe Wrote: Nyc just closed schools.  A great number of children rely on free school lunches for breakfast and lunch. But I do think closing was the right choice.  I just hope that parents who are on the front lines (first responders, doctors, nurses, have access to free child care.  Restaurants are going to be open for delivery and takeout.  My office of 1000 people has one case so now we have to self quarantine for 14 days. This is all surreal in the worst way. I stay inside for people who are elderly or with pre-exsisting conditions.  My dad had open heart surgery last year and my sister just had a baby. 

Im not a religious person but I ask the universe to watch over all us because it’s times like these I need a higher power to stay positive!

All schools are closed where I am, but they have set up services at some of the schools for breakfast and lunches. Parents can drive up and grab a bag of food for their child(ren). They also have people volunteering to deliver to those who cannot get transportation but need food. Definitely a great idea, if anyone in your area is stuck you can check to see if schools are offering that in their district. 

Praying for everyone right now that we can get through this.
~~Patience is the gateway to success~~
NYC will have decided within 48 hrs whether to order all in city to stay put in home situation. There is so much we are not learning.

And when someone in Italy or such tries to warn us to take this seriously, they are called Trolls.

Nah, I don't think so. I have seen many a troll in my years. Trolls dont just tell u to stay safe. and keep others safe. no motive. But kindness it seemed to me.

I read Wash DC is deciding whether the poor and hopefully elderly will be given money so they can stay home and order food and supplies. Please, sirs. At least the social security.

NYDAILYNEWS.COM
NYC should prepare for possible shelter in place order as coronavirus cases hit 814, Mayor de Blasio says
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Viruses cannot survive in an alkaline environment
Corona Diet

Lemon Juice - Organic Natural - No peels, No additives, no preservatives
amount equal to 1/2 to 1 lemon per day
Lemon Juice is acidic outside the body and alkaline once ingested
Bananas - one to 2 per days
Limit Red Meats and High Proteins as virus attaches to "fats and lipids"

Nothing is perfect but this is showing some promise as well as a prevention
(04-10-2020, 04:22 PM)Aquarius Wrote: I'm mostly worried about my situation in regards to not being able to see my family doctor and am dependant on certain medications, and I know for the subscriptions I've been getting have halted aswell because of the mail system. Hopefully this all calms down soon. I was told by a nurse that the counts on the amount of deaths isnt completely accurate because theres lots of people that died because of conditions they had prior to the Coronavirus. Regardless, hope everyone stays safe.

I have the same problem. Normally I'd see my doctor once a month. I have to wait 7 weeks for my next appointment, and that will be with a doctor I have never spoken to before. All I need is a repeat prescription - that system works differently in the UK to USA. In my case the meds are controlled so cannot be on an automatic repeat, it needs a doctor to ok it every time.

Aquarius, I hope you find a way to get to your family doctor and the subscriptions situation improves (I think it is, fingers crossed!).
(04-13-2020, 03:35 PM)barq- Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 04:22 PM)Aquarius Wrote: I'm mostly worried about my situation in regards to not being able to see my family doctor and am dependant on certain medications, and I know for the subscriptions I've been getting have halted aswell because of the mail system. Hopefully this all calms down soon. I was told by a nurse that the counts on the amount of deaths isnt completely accurate because theres lots of people that died because of conditions they had prior to the Coronavirus. Regardless, hope everyone stays safe.

I have the same problem. Normally I'd see my doctor once a month. I have to wait 7 weeks for my next appointment, and that will be with a doctor I have never spoken to before. All I need is a repeat prescription - that system works differently in the UK to USA. In my case the meds are controlled so cannot be on an automatic repeat, it needs a doctor to ok it every time.

Aquarius, I hope you find a way to get to your family doctor and the subscriptions situation improves (I think it is, fingers crossed!).
Are they not doing Telemedicine? A video visit? In this part of the country, the east coast that's all they are doing unless you have an emergency other than Covid symptoms.  If you have to go in everyone is wearing protective gear and they really don't want to see you.  The neighbor's child needed some stitches from a laceration.
Being kind to others costs nothing and enriches your life, 
never forget how you felt when someone was once cruel to you,
we all have felt unloved at one time or another we should never want another to feel that way. Smile