Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perrigo CEO says no easy path for Mylan to acquire company
Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:44pm EDT
By Bill Berkrot

(Reuters) -
Perrigo Co Plc (PRGO.N) on Wednesday made a fresh case for rejecting a $34 billion offer from generic drugmaker Mylan NV (MYL.O) and said Mylan's recent share price plunge reinforces Perrigo's intention to remain independent.

Perrigo Chief Executive Joseph Papa, in his first comments on the unsolicited acquisition attempt since Israel's Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA.TA) dropped its pursuit of Mylan in favor of another deal, reiterated that the $205 per share offer substantially undervalues Perrigo.

On a call to discuss quarterly results Papa said
the Perrigo board's rejection of Mylan was
unanimous and had nothing to do with Teva
walking away from its attempt to buy Mylan in
favor of a $40.5 billion deal for Allergan's
(AGN.N) generics business.

However, Papa said, "the market movement
following Teva's announcement last week only
reinforced our conviction about the Mylan offer." Mylan's shares fell 14.5 percent after the Teva announcement. At $54.48, they are nearly 30 percent off where they were trading in April around the time of Teva's initial approach.

Perrigo shares were down 32 cents at $190.32. Mylan shareholders are set to vote on whether to move ahead with the takeover attempt Aug. 28. "I make no prediction on how the Mylan shareholders will vote but I want to remind everyone, including the Mylan shareholders, that if they proceed with a tender offer for Perrigo this will not be the easy path that some are painting it to be," Papa said. "The bar for success in a tender offer process is a very high 80 percent of all outstanding Perrigo shares."

Mylan declined to address Papa's comments,
but said it has discretion to lower the
acceptance condition of a tender offer from 80
percent to greater than 50 percent of Perrigo
shares. Papa said shareholders he has met with expressed confidence in the company's
standalone strategy.

The maker of over-the-counter consumer
products, generic topical medicines, and animal health treatments, said it expects to launch more than $1 billion worth of new products over the next three years, and will use its significant cash flow for small, bolt-on acquisitions.

"If Mylan does win their shareholder vote and
initiate a tender process, we'll make a strategic
decision with the board about what's the right
thing to do for the company," Papa said. "Based on the current offer, if we ever get to a
tender process, I intend to vote no to the Mylan unsolicited offer for Perrigo."

(Reporting by Bill Berkrot; Editing by Andrew
Hay)
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit