Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit - easier to receive or worse?
Question 
Brexit is supposed to happen on Oct 31st. Do you reckon Brexit (especially the no-deal type) will make it easier or harder to receive packages?

My opinion, is that if the UK really does leave with no-deal, then it will be chaotic. Not talking "back to the dark ages" like some remainers, but very bumpy to put it mildly. So will the international mail start piling up, or will they just let it all through as they've got vehicles and food to inspect? I wonder if it might be the latter - but will we actually know? I doubt the government would exactly advertise it, but the media love reporting chaos so if mail backed up we'd probably hear about it.

BTW I considered putting this in a more chatty area since we are speculating, but most forum users on the other side of the Atlantic don't care that much about whether the UK is in the EU or not. I also want to avoid a political debate that turns into an argument. Most people with a view are very polarised - I'm sure there are people I like on this forum, who I'd totally disagree with about Brexit.
I will say worst . Specially, from EU. I have a friend that leave there ( internet friend ) and lately, he told me that is getting harder to get magazines. He even received an LL letter for a magazine from inside EU.
(06-17-2019, 06:47 AM)killingstress Wrote: I will say worst . Specially, from EU. I have a friend that leave there ( internet friend ) and lately, he told me that is getting harder to get magazines. He even received an LL letter for a magazine from  inside EU.

LL for within EU... that is unusual (and very unlucky for your friend). I wonder if it was an especially large order of mags or poorly packaged?

This is speculation, but in the case of no deal Brexit things could get really random with some countries of origin being easier than others. It'll be hard to tell because obviously we don't get into discussing origins.

My doctor gave me extra in the days before the expected Brexit date. I was nervous and although he said there wouldn't be a problem, who can tell for sure? He kindly obliged - I don't think he thought it was really needed but saw my anxiety and realised this "safety" would make me less anxious.
Maybe they will have just more work to do. Now its internal, in future external....so 500 times more things to do Smile Maybe it wont be worse.
Grateful for every good day.
I can see it only causing more issues for us in uk.who get from European countries. For me personally won't make difference.as I mostly get mags from africa.n middle East n asia.and also home. Just more head ache.and pocket bust for those who do.
Been wondering this myself,just got no idea yet,we will do soon tho,already some shortages of basic meds from a pharmacy.Def aint going to be risking any big orders,crimbo might be interesting as well,lol,aint Santa from the EU,poor kids,no prezzies for you now.
Seriously,i hope it doesnt cause a shed load of backed up mail,time will tell.
Mind the Gap Please. Exclamation
I don't know if Customs will end up having to shift focus to lorries and basically let all the post through more or less unexamined. That seems like the obvious way to try and keep things moving and not have the empty shelves situation. Or the alternative is they get stricter on packages from Europe.

It is a thankless task trying to guess what will happen with Brexit (which I regard as the worst idea the UK has had for about 100 years). Maybe it'll be the first scenario in the early days if it is as chaotic as I think it'll be, and ultimately they regain control and then start checking mail more thoroughly like my second scenario.

There is now a serious chance of Brexit being delayed again - how am I supposed to panic buy when they keep changing the date? ;-)

(10-14-2019, 04:57 PM)G.Elias Wrote: Been wondering this myself,just got no idea yet,we will do soon tho,already some shortages of basic meds from a pharmacy.Def aint going to be risking any big orders,crimbo might be interesting as well,lol,aint Santa from the EU,poor kids,no prezzies for you now.
Seriously,i hope it doesnt cause a shed load of backed up mail,time will tell.

Yes, the list of meds in short supply has become quite substantial. Some of them have equivalents that are more freely available, but a switch from one to another would be disruptive. The situation I think of is someone who has tried a number of antidepressants and finally found the one that works for them. Ok, so they can be given another SSRI, but it won't necessarily work (other than to stop the effects of rapidly stopping the original med).

I have bought quite a lot of Christmas presents already, and am sitting on a large supplied of tinned and dried food (plus other household essentials). I can hardly move for toilet rolls, packs of noodles, and tins of tomatoes! I've tried to do my stocking up over a period of time so as not to actually contribute to panic buying problems.

Keep in mind that if there is a bare shelf anywhere in the UK, the media will pounce on it and delight in reporting it. That in turn will make a certain proportion of people go out and panic buy, thus clearing shelves and creating the shortage. That situation is all based on consumer behaviour, so you don't actually need any disruption in supply for shortages to exist. If people perceive a serious risk of no-deal then I would expect that panic buying to clear some shelves before we even leave the EU.

Sorry to paint such a gloomy picture!
I hope like you said ,mail just gets rushed through,thatd be a nice change.
Crazy all this,delays n more delays,its like chaos is deliberately being caused for the benefit of some,millions have been made already by the few,they make even more when we do finally leave,most of us have no idea whats really going on,thats not democracey i my eyes.

I aint sent any money to Europe for a while,will be doing at some point,expect its going to be a little bit more expensive,then when we do leave,how will the UK £ be worth?jack shit probably,this is like the 1970s the tories have been saying thats what a left wing government will bring,looks like Johnston n tefal head Cummings have taken us there already.

I dont think the future looks to rosey for many of us.Wait til it all goes Hong Kong.
I'm starting to think it might not actually happen brexit,unless whatevers been signed has left us at the point of no return.

How the hell has it even come to this,total bonkers.A government of evil clowns.
(10-25-2019, 04:15 PM)G.Elias Wrote: I'm starting to think it might not actually happen brexit,unless whatevers been signed has left us at the point of no return.

How the hell has it even come to this,total bonkers.A government of evil clowns.

I've literally got to the point where I either have to go full Elon Musk and believe we are in a simulated reality OR that Brexit is an interactive piece of performance art!

Honestly, words fail me. Ok I'm a remainer, but was originally resigned to a democratic decision. Then the win started looking dodgy. Now so much time has passed that the whole "will of the people" argument doesn't hold water. If they did it again now Remain would win - some people would vote for it simply to never hear the word "brexit" again! Now the government have taken dysfunctional to a whole new level and we have a PM behaving like a child.

Now I'm left apologising to European friends and explaining it to puzzled Americans who'd previously thought of the UK as quite sensible.

I wish I were as confident as jimmymontana in believing it won't make any difference to post from overseas.