Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Drug infusion/nasal spray
I’m not sure if I can safely say Ket@mine on this forum but now that it’s a legal treatment for depression in the U.S., I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? I’ve read about all of these success stories but I’ve never spoken to anyone who’s actually done it. I would love to hear any experiences, good or bad.
Can't speak from experience, but a friend of mine started getting infusions and has echoed the sentiment that it's a miracle drug

Your mileage may vary obviously, but there's been many good signs
(10-16-2019, 12:21 AM)Psyboi Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 10:23 PM)L1V3M0UZ Wrote: Can't speak from experience, but a friend of mine started getting infusions and has echoed the sentiment that it's a miracle drug

Yes this is what I have heard, although I do not know how easy it is to go from that form of intake as opposed to nasal. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know near my town, they have done plenty of research on this medication, many many many positive results.

Again I am interested though how one would get started, would you need to go through a series of other tests or is it something that can be suggested.
It depends on how much you're willing to spend. Google your city + ketamine and see if there are any clinics. Infusions are gonna be expensive. IM seems to be as effective as IV, and is sometimes much cheaper. I think the cheapest I've heard was $400 per IM treatment. 
The spravato website has a tool for finding docs if you put in your zipcode. They need special training and stuff to be allowed to administer it, so most psychiatrists can't. 
I went through the approval process at one local clinic, but it was too expensive in the end. There were no tests, just a psych history, but it might have been easier for me because I'm a pretty "extreme" case so at this point they're willing to try anything to keep me out of the ER lol

Not that I'm recommending it, but I used an IOP to acquire it and self administered , because that was the only way I could afford the treatment. For me it wasn't a miracle antidepressant but it did completely treat my suicidal ideation, which improved my quality of life.
(10-20-2019, 05:09 PM)DopamineDeficient Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 10:23 PM)L1V3M0UZ Wrote: Can't speak from experience, but a friend of mine started getting infusions and has echoed the sentiment that it's a miracle drug

Yes this is what I have heard, although I do not know how easy it is to go from that form of intake as opposed to nasal. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know near my town, they have done plenty of research on this medication, many many many positive results.

Again I am interested though how one would get started, would you need to go through a series of other tests or is it something that can be suggested.
It depends on how much you're willing to spend. Google your city + ketamine and see if there are any clinics. Infusions are gonna be expensive. IM seems to be as effective as IV, and is sometimes much cheaper. I think the cheapest I've heard was $400 per IM treatment. 
The spravato website has a tool for finding docs if you put in your zipcode. They need special training and stuff to be allowed to administer it, so most psychiatrists can't. 
I went through the approval process at one local clinic, but it was too expensive in the end. There were no tests, just a psych history, but it might have been easier for me because I'm a pretty "extreme" case so at this point they're willing to try anything to keep me out of the ER lol

Not that I'm recommending it, but I used an IOP to acquire it and self administered , because that was the only way I could afford the treatment. For me it wasn't a miracle antidepressant but it did completely treat my suicidal ideation, which improved my quality of life.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, DopamineDeficient. I have also heard that ketamine can be a miracle drug. I have read up most on other psychedelics, ones that have not been FDA-approved yet, but should read up on ketamine.

Do any insurers cover ketamine for depression? $400 for one treatment is very expensive. I'm not surprised you could not afford it. Do you know how many treatments are required, on average, before it works?  Does having just one treatment do anything?
(10-20-2019, 05:09 PM)DopamineDeficient Wrote:

I went the same route as you and used an iop for it because i would of had to pay a huge amount on top of the already high fees the greedy psychiatrist was charging me per visit and none take insurance. The k helped incredibly. I’m not sure I stayed on it long enough to reap the long term rewards but for the times I used it, while I was using it and the weeks after, we’re anxiety and depression free. It was amazing. I have to get more and give it a proper run and see if that makes the depression go away permanently.
I'd recommend the therapeutic ket@mine reddit forum if anyone wanted to hear about people's experiences, ways of having insurance cover the massive costs, and just a lot of resources.