Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DHEA as a metabolism booster?
Has anyone had any experience using DHEA as a metabolism booster? I've also heard that it boosts libido in women. Anyone willing to chime in on that?  Rolleyes
I tried it to combat the dreaded hot flashes. It did help with that some. I didn’t notice any metabolic changes, but I did end up with trouble keeping my skin clear.
My friend is a fertility doctor and they use DHEA in IVF. My friend says every woman over 40 (good to get your testosterone levels checked) should take 25mg every second day to maintain vitality, energy levels, mental cognition etc. Women also need testosterone which decreases as we age. I follow her advice and find it good.
From what I understand, it can be a bit risky to take without getting the proper bloodwork done beforehand. Be careful and do your research.
From >https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-dhea/art-20364199
Avoid

While some research suggests that DHEA might be slightly helpful in treating depression and vaginal atrophy, there's little evidence to support anti-aging claims. Also, DHEA use can cause serious side effects. Avoid using this supplement.

Safety and side effects

DHEA is a hormone. Use of this supplement might increase levels of androgen and have a steroid effect. DHEA also might increase the risk of hormone-sensitive cancers, including prostate, breast and ovarian cancers. If you have any form of cancer or are at risk of cancer, don't use DHEA.

Don't use DHEA if you're pregnant or breastfeeding.

Consider avoiding use of DHEA if you have high cholesterol or a condition that affects the supply of blood to the heart (ischemic heart disease). DHEA might reduce high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol levels.

Use of DHEA also might worsen psychiatric disorders and increase the risk of mania in people who have mood disorders.

DHEA also might cause oily skin, acne and unwanted, male-pattern hair growth in women (hirsutism).