Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Mindless Habits to Break if You Want to Lose Weight
Excellent post. I dont struggle with sweets but with PEPSI!!! I guess thats a sweet. I have that issue too Rev. I sleep so much better if I am fat and full LOL! I dont drink milk but I hear thats a good way to fill up and avoid calories!
~Be the Aloha you want to see in the world~
(02-20-2016, 01:38 AM)Revolution Wrote: Barq, again, great tips. I struggle with my sweet tooth daily, starting with my morning coffee, and ending with an evening snack. I literally can't sleep without snacking first. Anyone else have this issue?

Revolution, JcLnJnngs, When you don't eat for a while do you feel a little nauseous, possibly even some mild stomach pain and to add insult to injury when you actually get around to eating you find the first few bits hard to get down?

Any dizziness when hungry?

How is your mood when you are hungry? Most get a little irritable, but do you feel hunger effects you a little more strongly than most?

Do you feel certain kinds of foods sate your appetite longer than others, regardless of quantity?

I have similar symptoms and I've heard many reasons, but the most likely is hypoglycemia. (I tell myself its a very mild case, although sometimes the first symptom I mentions is quite debilitating.) If there is a quick fix for this I have yet to find it. Basically you just need to watch what you eat, keep a healthy snack on hand and snack often. Also, I'm no doctor but I think avoiding sugary foods is advisable. It sounds contradictory since hypoglycemia is essentially a low blood sugar condition, but consuming large amounts of processed sugar with cause your blood sugar to spike and then after the high wears off it'll dip and then you're twice as miserable.
Hypoglycemia is really serious, my father suffers from it severely. Going off his diet at all and not replacing a meal with something of similar nutritional value is a disaster for him. All sorts of symptoms =/

My wife and I have helped him fine tune it, and he's been doing a lot better the last four months.
(07-30-2015, 03:33 PM)IceWizard Wrote: By Bonnie Taub-Dix
July 29, 2015 | 11:01 a.m. EDT

We make over 200 food-related choices each day. Some choices are easier than others. What you should eat for breakfast may be a relatively simple decision, especially if you just rotate a few basic choices regularly.

But other decisions are more challenging, like deliberating about whether or not to dip into the candy dish on your coworker's desk. Many of our subconscious food choices can trigger unwanted weight gain or sabotage weight-loss efforts. How exactly did you decide how much popcorn to eat during movie night?
Are you aware of the role your environment
plays in your food selection? Here are eight triggers that may impede weight loss – and how to avoid them before it's too late:

1. You keep food on your kitchen counter.
If your kitchen counter is cluttered with food,
research shows you may weigh 8 to 29 pounds more than someone whose counter is clear, according to the book "Slim by Design" by Brian Wansink, director of the Cornell Food and Brand Lab. One of the most dangerous culprits? Visible breakfast cereal! Despite claims of containing whole grains and essential nutrients, people often overeat cereal because of its health halo claims.

Solution:
Give your kitchen a makeover. Remove
visible food from your countertops and replace it with a bowl of fruit. According to Wansink's
research, people who have a bowl of fruit on
their kitchen counter weigh an average of 7
pounds less than people who don't!

2. You keep snack food in clear containers.

You're more likely to eat the food you can see,
so storing snack food in clear containers is a
recipe for temptation – especially if the treats
are at eye-level.

Solution:
Out of sight, out of mind. Store high-calorie, high-fat and high-sugar snacks in opaque containers and keep them inside the pantry instead of on the counter. The Google office in New York tried this method – and it worked, reducing their caloric intake from candy by 9 percent in just one week, Fast Company reports.

3. You finish what your child doesn't.

Children, up to age 5, are much better than
adults at recognizing hunger and satiety cues, so they eat until they're full – and not more. If
you regularly eat your meal and then dive into
others' leftovers, you might gain weight from the little bites and nips that you didn't think would count.

Solution:
Serve yourself a piece of what your child is eating and keep away from what's on his
or her plate. Save the little one's leftovers for
lunch the next day.

4. You have a candy dish on your desk at
work.

Whether it's on your desk or the desk of a
coworker, many people are within arm's reach
of candy at work – 476 calories of it to be exact, according to Wansink. In fact, Wansink reports that people with a candy dish on their desk weigh 15.4 pounds more than people who don't.

Solution:
Fill your candy dish on your desk with paperclips instead of sugary treats. If you want to eat something sweet at work, just BYOS (Bring Your Own Snack). Choose one that comes in an individual, portion-controlled size.
5. You're watching an action movie.

Health experts have never endorsed eating in front of the TV because it increases distraction, leading to mindless munchies. But research now shows that what you're watching can influence your eating habits, too. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed that people eat more when they're watching action-related TV than if they're turning into a less engrossing program.

Solution:
During meals, turn off the tube and focus on conversation and the food in front of you. When families grab table time together, kids tend to eat more vegetables and fruits and less fried foods and sugary soft drinks. Set an example when you set the table to help you gain enjoyment and possibly even lose weight.
6. You use oversized dinner plates.

Studies show that the size of your dishes cues your consumption norm. If you use larger plates and bowls, you are more likely to serve yourself and consume more food – about 16 percent more! Research also shows that we eat over 90 percent of the food we serve ourselves, so over-serving can contribute to overeating.

Solution:
Invest in smaller plates – and you may be able to treat yourself to a smaller pants size as well.

7. Sugary drinks are at eye level.

We tend to buy more products that are stored at eye level at the supermarket and to grab items that meet our gaze when we open the
refrigerator.

Solution:
Keep a pitcher of water – not sugary drinks – at eye level in your fridge. Fill the pitcher with fresh cut fruit to make it even more appealing. All sodas and sugary drinks should stay on the supermarket shelf for good.

8. You eat directly from the package.

Whether it's popcorn, cereal, jerky or even
grapes, eating directly from a food package distorts our sense of how much we're
consuming and leads to portion distortion.

Solution:
Pre-measure and pre-portion all snack foods and place them in single-serving bags to define and predetermine an amount that will
help keep calories in check.

Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, CDN,  is the award-winning author of “Read It Before You
Eat It” and owner of BTD Nutrition Consultants, LLC. She is a motivational
speaker, journalist, media spokesperson and corporate consultant whose messages are laced with her culinary passion as a foodie, her credible guidance as an advisor, and her wit and wisdom as a mom.

Follow her on Twitter at @eatsmartbd or visit her website BetterThanDieting.com.
Also remember the food additives are a key player. Dorito chip triangle is a triangle because they researched that triangle shapes felt more pleasing in the mouth plus msg causes eating in excess as well as artificial sugars that prevent the brain from getting a full sensation. Now we eat in front of electronics not realizing we have reached the end of the bag before realizing "My god I ate the whole bag already" then grab another bag! Oh and munchies damn that's a hard one.... Cool
Amen brother

Everything in moderation.
The book Sugar, Salt, Fat by M. Moss explains the whole shape of the food, additive testing to determine what will trigger people to consume in excess, etc. It is a scary read! Almost like there is a big-business "conspiracy" to make and keep us fat.
(12-28-2015, 08:41 PM)Lunar Wrote: Wow, great topic. Thanks for all the info everyone.

A suggestion for the 9th mindless habit: The Calorie Myth

It's only mindless because ever since the 80's food pyramid(in the US) mentality towards health has been literally brainwashed and programmed into us the Calorie Myth has become just another mindless misnomer. Like "everyone knows the government it here to help you." Hahaha

In brief just indiscriminately eating less calories/fats/carbs to loose weight is not only a flawed concept it can be dangerous. Whole food weight trainers have known this for years, and the science has been available to back it up even longer, but recently a book has been published called "The Calorie Myth," and it explains this concept very well.

A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. If you start discriminating and eating the right calories, i.e. from hole natural foods, you can literally eat as much as you want and still loose weight.(Especially if you have the history of eating the wrong calories.)

Rereading this thread I realized my "Calorie Myth" post was kind of unclear. So below I copied the synopsis of "The Calorie Myth" from Amazon. I lost 75lbs following the simple phylosophy of when it comes to food it's quality over quantity and incorporating in quick, high intensity exercises. Though I didn't stumble onto the book for more than a year later. But it confirmed the lifestyle that I had already put into practice due in part from advice provided by a long time friend who was a weight trainer but mostly from an epiphany of sorts. I had believed for the longest time that all food and drink fell somewhere between "bad for you," and "less bad for you." One day, I realized that was total bull, there are loads of foods that are totally good for you.

(honestly I may have been stoned at the time of my epiphany, and it's sad but it's precisely because of these sorts of hyper self criticizing epiphanies that I stay away from being stoned. Which sounds really stupid now that I say it out loud. I mean if every time I ingest hypnotic/psychedelic plants I discover avenues and areas for self improvement you'd think I'd do it all the time.)

Begin Amazon quote:

"In this revolutionary weight-loss program informed by more than 1,200 scientific studies, fitness and diet expert Jonathan Bailor offers concrete evidence that the calorie-counting model of weight loss doesn’t work. In fact, cutting-edge science supports a radically different approach to weight loss and health, proving that by focusing on food and exercise [i]quality[/i]—rather than calorie [i]quantity—[/i]you can burn fat and boost health more easily and enjoyably that you ever thought possible.
The human body does not recognize all calories as equal. Some foods are used to repair tissue, boost brain power, and fuel our metabolism—while others are stored as fat.   In [i]The Calorie Myth[/i], Bailor shows us how eating [i]more[/i] of the right kinds of foods and exercising [i]less[/i], but at a higher intensity, is the true formula for burning fat.
Why? Because eating high-quality foods—like whole plants and nutritious proteins—balances the hormones that regulate our metabolism. When we eat these foods, our bodies naturally maintain a healthy weight. But when we eat sugar, starches, processed fats, and other poor quality foods, the body’s regulatory system becomes "clogged" and prevents us from burning extra calories. Translation: Those extra 10 pounds aren't the result of eating too much . . . they're the result from eating the wrong foods.
In [i]The Calorie Myth[/i], Bailor offers clear, comprehensive guidance on what to eat and why, providing an eating plan, recipes, and a simple yet effective exercise regimen based on the principles of high intensity interval training. Losing weight doesn't have to mean going hungry or spending hours at the gym. [i]The Calorie Myth[/i] offers a radical new model for weight loss and long-term health."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Calorie-Myth-E...0062267337
Well done Lunar.

I do believe most of this theory, maybe even all of it.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
It is said what commonsense Doesn't take care of
Father Time will I've always loved candy sweet and sour and bread
And soda but over last few years no soda as for candy it's a struggle but walk right by in market
All that I have read in this have been informative
Thank you all
One of the biggest factors in my weight loss (actually just staying relatively in shape) is having preplanned meals throughout the day along with a multitude of healthy-ish snacks constantly available to me.

Sometimes I just can't help myself and have to snack...