Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flu shot
Flu vaccine theory simplified:

Every year, epidemiologists attempt to guess which flu strains will predominate in the coming season based upon a number of inputs and assumptions.

They then culture the strain candidates en masse, kill them, then combine the dead organisms with albumin for injection into a largely unknowing population.

Belief is that the dead organisms will trigger and immune response in the injectee that will prevent or ameliorate symptoms associated with influenza infection.

Some years this strategy yields moderate success; other years not so much.

A common sense best practice to avoid infection is to scrupulously keep one's hands clean and consciously avoid touching your eye's with them.

Hope that everyone remains flu free this season... it's really awful when you get it.
I think last year or the year before it didn’t help at all they got the wrong strain which didn’t protect people. So like lechter said they have to guess and that year they guessed wrong. Wash your hands and try not to touch your face when your out in about.
mxray
Washing your hands is always a good idea, especially during flu season. Unfortunately, the flu can be transmitted thru the air as well. If someone sneezes or coughs near you, the....mist can be inhaled or land on your lips, eyeballs etc. and it's then easily transmitted.

In cancer clinics, many patients with weakened immune systems will wear protective masks and non patients that have symptoms will need to wear them or are not allowed in at all.

Science tells us that the flu shot is about 50% effective, so that might be considered moderate, but I'll take those odds.

Sure wash your hands, avoid crowded areas when possible and get a flu shot. Not just for you, but the general population as well. You will be reducing your chances of getting and transmitting the flu.

MoJim
All personnel who deal with patients in hospital/clinics/retirement homes etc. should be required
to get a flu shot...…...IMHO
They should also have hand sanitizer available and use it before and after each patient interaction.

If it was your mom or dad exposed to the flu or some other virus, because of poor health worker practices you would agree.

personally I get the flu shot each year because I have a sister who has lupus and therefore a compromised immune system.
( jfyi---she cannot get the flu shot herself due to lupus )
……………………………………………………………………………………...Folken
It's absolutely worth getting the flu shot, even if you're convinced it gives you a bad cold (it doesn't) because of the herd-immunity thing. It keeps you from getting the flu and passing it on to someone like folken's sister who doesn't have the option of having a flu shot.
I have a family member who is recovering from breast cancer treatment; chemo, radiation and a double mastectomy. I'm getting it this week, for her sake, even if there is a chance that it might help protect me and indirectly her. My nurse friend also says hand washing is a major preventative. Last years shot was a waste so hopefully this years is better.
I work at a medical center so I am required to get one. However, I highly recommend that everyone get it. Before the shots were mandatory I caught influenza and was horribly sick for a month. I just wanted to be put out of my misery. As a result of the high fevers and medicines I was taking I also miscarried (didn’t even realize I was pregnant).
Faith and fear can not coexist  Angel
Hasnt stopped me getting the worst cold i have had in years,its not flu but its bloody horrible,wretching my guts up with coughing badly,drowning in phlegm,nice.
Mind the Gap Please. Exclamation
I pay £10 for a 'flu shot every year. It is no guarantee, but reducing the chances of getting 'flu is worth it for me. A few years ago I had really bad 'flu that utterly wiped me out for two weeks. When I came back to work, still feeling weak, there was a mountain of stuff to catch up. My job means I'm exposed to a lot of the general public, so lots of potential exposure to viruses.

The only direct negative of a 'flu shot is a case where someone was injected in the wrong location on their arm and the needle hit their radial nerve. For reasons I won't go into, this patient ended up in my office and being a psychologist I can spot a radial nerve injury (it is very distinct as you see a wrist drop, and they can't do the "thumbs up" sign with their hand). I told them to get their GP to refer them to a neurologist who can do a nerve conduction test to measure the extent of damage and then estimate time for recovery.

Don't let this story spook you out of having a flu shot, the injection was way off target - like about 3 inches below the shoulder so this patient thought it weird at the time. Intramuscular injection sites are where they are so the needle doesn't hit anything delicate!