Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xanax versus hydroxyzine
Just went to my primary care Dr and she switched me from my usual alprazom to hydroxzine. She told me that she can’t prescribe that anymore due to it being a schedule 2 drug. I thought why she has been giving it to me for years. I take lexapro and the Xanax helps with the panic attacks. She’s told me this new script will help with the panic attacks What I read was it helps with itching and anxiety and is used for surgery does anybody have any advice on this medication. Thanks 

Mxray
mxray
If a dr cant prescribe a med cos its schedule 2 then who actually can ? Sounds a bit strange to me, we dont have schedule anything in uk, its known as class A,B,C.
Drs are able to prescribe say morphine that is class A, or benzos that are class B, we dont have xanax here but there is other benzos that can be prescribed by your dr, i find the way the US drs do things compared to here really odd in a bad kind of way.
Mind the Gap Please. Exclamation
I know. I’m going to call back and find out exactly what’s going on. Maybe it’s time to find a new Dr
mxray
This Dr just caught me off guard and I should have spoken up about it. I wasn’t thinking at the time but I’m going to call her tomorrow and say something. Thanks everyone for your help I appreciate it. 

mxray
mxray
Hi mxray. By all means speak to your doctor because if you've been on Xanax for years, you must taper down. Never go cold turkey off a benzo especially Xanax. You could die from that. I was on Xanax for over 20yrs & when I went off it I went very slow & it took me almost 2 years to quit. My doctor scripted me the Hydroxzine too for anxiety & panic attacks during my taper. Personally, I found it useless for anxiety & panic attacks., so I didn't even bother with it.

Good Luck!
This too shall pass. Heart
(11-02-2018, 10:46 AM)Roses Wrote: Hi mxray.  By all means speak to your doctor because if you've been on Xanax for years, you must taper down.  Never go cold turkey off a benzo especially Xanax.  You could die from that.  I was on Xanax for over 20yrs & when I went off it I went very slow & it took me almost 2 years to quit.  My doctor scripted me the Hydroxzine too for anxiety  & panic attacks during my taper.  Personally, I found it useless for anxiety & panic attacks., so  I didn't even bother with it.

Good Luck!

Thanks Roses I’ve been on it along time but only small amounts like .50mg a day. I just need it when I start to feel really anxious. It really helps take it away.
mxray
(11-03-2018, 01:20 AM)maddy Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 07:55 PM)mxray Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 10:46 AM)Roses Wrote: Hi mxray.  By all means speak to your doctor because if you've been on Xanax for years, you must taper down.  Never go cold turkey off a benzo especially Xanax.  You could die from that.  I was on Xanax for over 20yrs & when I went off it I went very slow & it took me almost 2 years to quit.  My doctor scripted me the Hydroxzine too for anxiety  & panic attacks during my taper.  Personally, I found it useless for anxiety & panic attacks., so  I didn't even bother with it.

Good Luck!

Thanks Roses I’ve been on it along time but only small amounts like .50mg a day. I just need it when I start to feel really anxious. It really helps take it away.

Hi, mxray. I might be violating my "newbie 5-post" rule here, but I'm willing to risk it for this one....

First, if you've been taking alp at that level, only occasionally, then IMHO (and IANAD, so this is just my input) you are probably at pretty low risk of suffering from the most lethal of withdrawal consequences from this medication, so that's a good thing, for you. I hope. But,

Any licensed medical doctor who would willingly transition a patient from Xan (a benzo) straight to Hydroxazine (an antihistamine) is someone I would not trust to treat a goldfish!! These meds aren't even related, in a pharmaceutical way. Some of the side effects from Hydrox (also benadryl, and a few other antihistamines) for many patients include drowsiness, which can seem to also include a reduction in anxiety symptoms, under some circumstances. But these meds are not substitutes under any reasonable circumstance. (And I actually do occasionally take hydroxazine for severe allergies, and it doesn't affect me at all, as far as I can tell.)

So, yes, PLEASE talk with your doctor, express deep sympathy for the current circumstances under which docs are being subjected to scrutiny for any of their Rx-s, but also advocate for your own rights to be properly treated for your own, actual, medical condition. Ask for the medication(s) that you (and your doctor) know work for you, tell him/her you understand their predicament, express a willingness to stick to a low-dos regimen, whatever. And then if the doc says "no," start looking for a new doctor. This "No addictive drugs" attitude is horrible, but I want to believe it will ease up in due time. But in the meanwhile, we have to live through it....

Anyway, good thoughts, and good luck to you!

Okay so if you have been on alprazolam for more than 30 years , 3 mgs a day, how do you get off? What else is out there? Does anything else work?
Being kind to others costs nothing and enriches your life, 
never forget how you felt when someone was once cruel to you,
we all have felt unloved at one time or another we should never want another to feel that way. Smile
(11-04-2018, 03:56 AM)Tigertail58 Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 01:20 AM)maddy Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 07:55 PM)mxray Wrote:

Good Luck!

Hi, mxray. I might be violating my "newbie 5-post" rule here, but I'm willing to risk it for this one....

First, if you've been taking alp at that level, only occasionally, then IMHO (and IANAD, so this is just my input) you are probably at pretty low risk of suffering from the most lethal of withdrawal consequences from this medication, so that's a good thing, for you. I hope. But,

Any licensed medical doctor who would willingly transition a patient from Xan (a benzo) straight to Hydroxazine (an antihistamine) is someone I would not trust to treat a goldfish!! These meds aren't even related, in a pharmaceutical way. Some of the side effects from Hydrox (also benadryl, and a few other antihistamines) for many patients include drowsiness, which can seem to also include a reduction in anxiety symptoms, under some circumstances. But these meds are not substitutes under any reasonable circumstance. (And I actually do occasionally take hydroxazine for severe allergies, and it doesn't affect me at all, as far as I can tell.)

So, yes, PLEASE talk with your doctor, express deep sympathy for the current circumstances under which docs are being subjected to scrutiny for any of their Rx-s, but also advocate for your own rights to be properly treated for your own, actual, medical condition. Ask for the medication(s) that you (and your doctor) know work for you, tell him/her you understand their predicament, express a willingness to stick to a low-dos regimen, whatever. And then if the doc says "no," start looking for a new doctor. This "No addictive drugs" attitude is horrible, but I want to believe it will ease up in due time. But in the meanwhile, we have to live through it....

Anyway, good thoughts, and good luck to you!

Okay so if you have been on alprazolam for more than 30 years , 3 mgs a day, how do you get off? What else is out there? Does anything else work?

Hydroxazine is meant to be given before a patient  is prescribed benzos. Not afterwords  my psychiatrist personally told me Hydroxazine does nothing for patients already relying on benzos.
Serequel did nothing for sleep and that supposedly works as a powerful antihistamine at low doses. I felt nothing from serequel. Crazy someone would write you hydroxizine in place of Xanax but at the same token, I have gone to 5 idiot psychiatrists this year alone.
DanG! hydr0ox was offered to me on top of my other scripts. Ser0quel works well for me for sleep, lower doses put me out more than higher. I took the hyd0x for a month and felt literally nothing, so stopped taking it. Compared to 2mg kplns a day, it was just nothing. tossed most of them, honestly.
very sorry your dr did that. id understand dropping the dose, but replacing X@n for hydr0x?? crazy.