Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is better? Cancel account or change email?
So, after doing a bit of research, a friend of mine has implemented safer surfing practices.

For accounts with iops started before the safer practices were implemented, would it be better to cancel the account and start a new one or just change the email registered with? I wonder in either case if the info, i.e. old email, actually gets scrubbed from the iop's database.

What about this forum? If my friend changes his email will the old one get scrubbed?

Thanks
no. he can change his email thru his user control settings. admin of steel will correct me, if i am wrong.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

So, on this forum, if a member changes his email the old one gets scrubbed from the database?

As far as IOPs go, I guess he would have to contact them.
it does. however, the system keeps info that manifests when i try to admit a new member.

we can find out other screen names, emails, IP addresses that were used already.

it is not just easily accessible.

but, admin of steel will correct me. if needed.

i doubt the info is scrubbed from IOPs, though.

too many Vendors contact members even though they have not been used in years. at very obscure email addresses.

too many with malice aforethought, will gather ur info, log it, then sell it.

Good luck to him though.

Thanks Charon. That clarify things.

You're the best.
Hey Lunar, If you think an e-mail address is compromised in any way, cancel or stop using it.

I have one e-mail address used only for IOP orders and it is obvious that the e-mail address has been compromised or shared without my permission by a vendor or two I have done past purchases with.

If the vendor has a website, they are most likely logging your IP address as well as e-mail when you do an order.

Look into a VPN to mask your IP address.

Not saying there is much risk, but all it takes is some weird event to trigger LE to start sniffing.
Thanks ghostofjack(or is just "ghost" cool?) and Charon. Everyone here is so helpful and generous with their time. Our combines experiences and research makes us a force to be reconed with. The days of lone-wolfing IOPs is over, thank God. I'm just so happy I found this place. Thank you everyone.

So it looks like a combination of Tor and VPN is the way to go, with an encrypted email provider.

But what about PGP? What I don't understand is if the key is publicly available then what stops LE from using it too?
There's "Protonmail" new... Encrypted if other party uses it, it's from end to end... If they don't have Proton, it's only encrypted from your end... The key is created each time...

I also have an mail.ru account, that does not require an alternative email account... Therefore if you lose your pass, they have no way to contact you and it's all in Russian....

It may not be much, but that's what I've used in the warez forums with no trouble...

Good luck my friend...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
ok, and i just re read this today. we don't save emails. however, when i vett a new member, one does an IP search, and past screen names they used will show.

It is more likely than not, that all the newbies or angry non members whom contact me via Admin contact me button or thru my personal email, then all those emails used to communicate with me, at this forum, and when using Contact admin, all those emails are automatically saved. By me. And of course I sell no information. But i do get illegal threats against my life and well being and if i am threatened, in my own email no less, i shall have their emails.