Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox Settings- Anonymity and Notices Certain "Site is Not Secure"
Thoughts on Firefox for a web browser, seems to be more secure - I installed it and made DuckDuckGo my homepage and main search engine. 
Problem is, I go to read certain sites, like accuweather for example and get notices that I cant view as I have an add blocker on. I have searched for how to fix this in Firefox, I am quite good at using search engines, but I can't figure it out!! Any helpful hints that those that use?
And is Firefox a decent browser to keep more private? Any other suggestions? Of course I have TOR and and I have NordVPN with a kill switch activated. But for general browsing I default to Firefox now and it's a but of a learning curve. Still use Chrome for legit sites, but my settings in there seem to have become effected as well in similar fashion. 
Just curious others thoughts and helpful hints on this? Also why do I keep getting notices that IOPList is not secure from Firefox and third parties can see my info, should I be concerned, do something in settings?
I just ran across an article that said FireFox and Chrome were the 2 worst for tracking you path across the WWW and general invasion of ur privacy.

I will try and find it.

Although I can remember FF used to be the thing.

Darn it were is that aritcle.....

IOP is not running with SS so you will not be able to cure that may as well ignore it.

It is always good to put up tips and tricks of various “hacks” !
I can't recreate the issue you speak of in FF regular browser. Maybe try a private window if you haven't already? cntrl+shift+F and enter the url. Or right click on whatever link you want to view and from the drop down menu select 'Open Link In A New Private Window'. See if that changes anything.
(08-24-2018, 05:08 PM)Mr. HIND Wrote: I can't recreate the issue you speak of in FF regular browser. Maybe try a private window if you haven't already? cntrl+shift+F and enter the url. Or right click on whatever link you want to view and from the drop down menu select 'Open Link In A New Private Window'. See if that changes anything.

I've elected to just start my VPN, have kill switch activated and access IOPList via TOR using this method going forward.

Probably safest bet, right?
I'm not sure we're on the same page. You asked for troubleshooting assistance accessing the weather channel via FF while using an addblocker. I'm not sure what what you're hinting at with VPN's, Kill switch or TOR and asking if it's safe. Is it safe? Absolutely. Without knowing any of your FF settings, you could try process of elimination and make sure it's not current browser settings or something else entirely. If you're comfortable with VPN and FF only, see if you can watch the weather channel. If you're finding corruption in your browser I suggest running Malwarebytes then Ccleaner, also clean the registry with Ccleaner then manually wipe all browser cache, there may be something there. Try that and see if it helps. Worse scenario is a clean uninstall-reinstall of Chrome and FF and start over-if required. I've found routine maintenance works fine, I've haven't used an addblocker or antivirus program for 15 years. Received a virus once, hit the kill switch I built, wiped the drive, loaded image- back where i left off, mostly.
Yeah,I got off topic,it was just saying not secure site for the past week both on chrome and FF when I logged into IOP. Then on random sites my add blockers just blocked me from using some sites, and I couldn't find the add blocker on FF to allow those sites to allow ads. to even view them. I took FF off completely. It just frustrated me, keep chrome for personal use.

Sorry all over the place. Security tho biggest issue, just running VPN and going through TOR from now on for this site and vendors sites and encrypted emails. keeping Chrome for my old email personal accounts as I've switched all to prontonmail now that runs good on TOR.

I've got 30 networks around me...renamed mine "Virus Infected" lol
Hi Linville and Anxietyguy, didn't mean to skip over you two. Very rude of me! :-)

(08-25-2018, 04:01 AM)anxietyguy Wrote: Why don't you use Thor browser ? I mean, if you want something secure, there you have it.

Good Point! ^^

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's all good Former Lurker, np... Weird though as FF Vanilla doesn't come packed with an add blocker that I'm aware of so I'm curious why you were being blocked. A plug-in can be downloaded. Maybe it's a toolbar, I forget. There's plenty of security settings but one or two? needs tweaking so google can't track your downloads.

Sorry FF didn't work for you. I also had issues with it many years ago but it's a much improved browser now.

Do you use an antivirus programs? Seems If you're getting the same message from both browsers that may be something to look into. Like I mentioned earlier I couldn't replicate the issue with DuckDuckGo even with security options set at default or maxed out. Sorry!

Take Care and have a pleasant weekend if possible.
(08-25-2018, 06:33 AM)Mr. HIND Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 04:01 AM)anxietyguy Wrote: Why don't you use TOR browser ? I mean, if you want something secure, there you have it.

Good Point! ^^
Yep - What I am now doing
Hi FL and Mr Hind, very good discussion.

I saw where I had made a typo and did not notice in my earlier post.
IOP does NOT run in SSL mode.

(Secure Socket Layer)

That is why you get the message in the newer browsers of that. 
They warn you to be aware.

Did not have a chance to look for that article still on the try to do list, LOL.

TOR can cause super slow down browsing speeds so it will be interesting for you to post feed back on how it goes with you.

Good thread

Oh and DuckDuckGo is the way to GO, for sure best search engine. Agreed.
Hi Linville,

I build my own computers and dump cash for for M.2 drive's 'ssd' great RAM, CPU's and GPU so booting up in 30 seconds then jumping on Tor is very annoying experience, soooo I haven't been using it. I'm so spoiled I gotta be hardwired to the web as wifi is also..... too slow Big Grin. But man I can get work done!

My only issue with non ssl is not knowing if the url needs the 'S'. >>> HTTP//: vs HTTPS//: Sometimes have to type the url twice, if I get a 404 error or something like that.

Have a good day!