Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagging members
Is there a way to be able to link a member to a thread or post through a TAG??

for example if I wanted to link Charon or another member to a thread I could post something like: @Charon and they would recieve a notification that they had been tagged in that post??

There has been a few occasions where I have written a post and then seen members asking a related question in a similar post and wanted to link them to the post I had written, and it would have been useful to link them to the post without putting the link for the entire thread. because then they would have to search through the whole page to get to the post I had written.

Where if there was a member tagging option I could simply comment on my original post with the member tag and they could be linked to it directly.

Not sure if this option has been covered already, but thats my suggestion
Code:
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."
It has its pros and cons. Another forum does that. And we all got outta that habit.

But, newbies, will be @'ing people till the cows come home. So, do we let it begin at fifty posts? To avoid newbie shenanigans? Or would it have lost its point? We all rather PM another or just post to them. When one subscribes to a thread, one can see if anyone has responded. But, no cross referencing now, no.

I know i don't want that activated for me. I have enough instant demands with PMS and emails.

I know admin of steel dealt with it once. Will have to look for it. I guess others will give their thoughts now.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Rather not have it, becomes a bit of a pain, getting tagged for something thats irrelevant to me just gets annoying at times,if anyone wants to get my attention then PM is here.
All very good points. Im certainly convinced it may not be the best idea. Personally i already spend alot of time deleting emails from all sorts of other websites as it is
Code:
"Never regret thy fall,
one more. they can circumvent our rules that one needs fifty posts before one PMs.

cuz if they @ a senior member, of questionable background, or whatever, the senior member may probably read their post. and many of them sneak in: i cannot PM yet so u PM me with sources. Nonsense like that.

I can see this being misused so easily. Its a good idea. But, way too much work. And, we see new people of late, many new people as we were private and try to stay small, coming back after two yrs and wanting all the info they never got posts for in first place.

Not to mention the nervous nellies will put @charon in every thread, thinking i shall have magic answers of when packages may come.

Fraught with problems, IMHO.
Agreed, I hadnt thought about it to the extent of all this. There is plenty of good reasons why it wouldnt be the best idea.

I had just noticed it wasnt a function that I had seen so far.

also a final question.

The "todays birthdays" section that shows up at the bottom of the main page, I hadnt noticed that before, is that something that only shows up at 150 posts or has that always been there and ive just been inattentive?
Code:
"Never regret thy fall,
i think it has always been there. Most of us put in hidden or nothing for our birthdays cuz we don't like that stuff when one is a grown adult. it is for our youngins.
(08-13-2018, 02:30 PM)Charon Wrote: i think it has always been there.  Most of us put in hidden or nothing for our birthdays cuz we don't like that stuff when one is a grown adult.  it is for our youngins.

I can understand that. But we only have a finite amount of our "special days" in a lifetime.

in the last week my grandpa turned 80, the joy in his face that everybody acknowledged it brought me to tears.

No matter how old we get it feels good to be special for a day. I mean its the anniversary of the day we came into existence, the day another star appeared in the sky.

sorry, im passionate about showing love when we reach milestones. even if you outgrow it,somebody in the world still feels joy for you.
Code:
"Never regret thy fall,
that is awesome. And I am glad your grandfather can appreciate the love.

Irish families may call one another and sing happy birthday to u.

So glad your grandpa can enjoy his golden yrs.
(08-13-2018, 03:37 PM)Charon Wrote: that is awesome.  And I am glad your grandfather can appreciate the love.

Irish families may call one another and sing happy birthday to u.  

So glad your grandpa can enjoy his golden yrs.

Co-incidentally we are part irish!. on my dads side we are irish/scottish

But on mums side we are maltese/italian. There is a never ending debate as to wether we are maltese or italian. But when you look at the history we are both, the oldies just refuse to accept it!
Code:
"Never regret thy fall,