Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRI STATE AREA TO EXPERIENCE NOR EASTER
hxtp://abc7ny.com/weather/accuweather-alert-storms-expected-to-drench-tri-state/3799500/

An AccuWeather Alert will go into effect later Saturday evening as storms and heavy rainfall approach the Tri-State area.

Up to 2 inches of rainfall is possible as rain develops across the region overnight and into Sunday morning.

The quick-hitting coastal low will develop south and move to the north, but expect the heaviest rain to come between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m.

RELATED: Weather Alerts

The rain will continue into Sunday, but the showers will become more scattered throughout the day.

The biggest impact will be the possibility for street flooding and minor coastal flooding.

Wind gusts of up to 40 mph are possible.

The threat of storms continues into early next week.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Bunker down and batten the hatches everyone effected
bunker down and battan down the hatches. i still dont know in what poem i would read that, it is a pirates term it seems to me, matey, but this is what i got on g00gle:

What Does 'Batten Down the Hatches' Mean?

The English phrase batten down the hatches comes from the way sailors made old ships watertight during storms.

By Samantha Enslen, read by Mignon Fogarty , Grammar Girl August 11, 2016

batten down the hatches

Has anyone ever told you to batten down the hatches?

If so, they were telling you to prepare for trouble.

Maybe they saw your boss walking angrily down the hall. Or maybe they heard the principal call you to his office.

Either way, they were warning you that a big storm was coming—and that you better get ready.

Batten down the hatches is what sailors used to say when a real storm was coming. Let me explain what they meant.

You see, all ships have hatches, or hatchways. These are square or rectangular holes in the deck. You can use them to load cargo into a ship’s interior, or hold. You can also climb down through the hatches to get to living quarters below deck.

In old sailing ships, hatches were covered with an open wooden grating. These gratings prevented sailors from falling through the hatches as they walked across the deck. (That’s kind of important!) They also let fresh air and sunlight flow down to the lower decks of the ship.

Battens are long wooden sticks used to temporarily attach canvas to a ship's hatches.

However, these open gratings were not so great during storms. If white water crashed over the bow of the ship and ran across the deck, you wouldn’t want it to flow down into the hatches. Your ship would fill with water and potentially sink!

To solve this problem, you can batten down the hatches. Here’s how.

Grab the grating and place it in the hatch.
Take a big piece of canvas tarpaulin and lay it over the hatch.
Now, take four battens—long, thin strips of wood-like yardsticks. The word batten comes from a Middle English word to describe a finished board.
Nail those battens into each side of the hatch, securing the canvas tightly across the top.
Congratulations! You’ve just made the hatch watertight. In other words, you’ve battened down the hatches.

So, that’s your tidbit for today. Batten down the hatches is a nautical term that means to prepare for trouble.

Samantha Enslen runs Dragonfly Editorial. You can find her at dragonflyeditorial.com or @DragonflyEdit.

Sources

Ammer, Christine. Batten down the hatches. American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms, 2nd ed. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013.

Dent, Susie. Batten down the hatches. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, 19th ed. Chambers Harrap, 2012.

King, Dean. A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian. 3rd ed. Holt Paperbacks, 2000.

All areas in Northern NY are under a storm warning , for high winds & flooding in flood zone areas. And it's to rain all next week. Be safe all.
This too shall pass. Heart
Rare summer nor’easter expected to pound NYC
By [color=var(--body-font-color)]Anna Sanders[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)][img=375x0]https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/rain-in-nyc.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1[/img][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)][Image: rain-in-nyc.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1...820&crop=1][/color]

New York City will see heavy rainfall Saturday night as a rare July nor’easter passes through the tri-state area.
The heaviest and steadiest rain will fall overnight and most of the city will get drenched with one to two inches, according to Accuweather meteorologist Dan Pydynowski. The storm is expected to roll in around 4 p.m., bringing with it possible flooding and thunderstorms. 

Gusts of wind could reach 30 to 40 miles per hour tonight as the low-pressure system moves up the East Coast.
“It’s certainly not your classical nor’easter that’d you’d see in the winter,” Pydynowski said. “But “it’s a pretty potent storm given the time of year.”

Late Sunday morning will be dry, warm and humid, with a high of 82 degrees. The city may see some rain showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon — which is a
“more typical summertime pattern,” Pydynowski said.
boy, was gonna sign off now. hope i get back on tomorrow. be safe all.

As Charon said, please everyone in the area of the bad storms be safe and take cover if needed.
OR
Hi friends!!!
We are getting strong winds and heavy rains here in PA.  
I thought I heard drips over the TV and turned it on mute only to hear rain inside my fire place.  Just what I need.  Such a joy.  I have old towels packed round it for now.  With rain all week, this should be interesting to deal with.  Yay!!
Slick

Everyone take care!!