Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heroin Vaccine
Opiant has recently in-licensed a novel heroin vaccine developed by the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in collaboration with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a division of the National Institute of Health (NIH).

Heroin (diacetyl morphine) is an opioid made from morphine, an alkaloid produced by the opium poppy. It is metabolized to morphine and 6-acetyl morphine which bind to opioid receptors, resulting in the same spectrum of pharmacological effects produced by other opioids. Heroin is highly reinforcing, and once an individual becomes addicted to heroin, seeking and using the drug becomes his/her primary purpose in life. There is a very high risk of overdose because neither the quantity nor the purity of heroin purchased ‘on the street’ is known.

The heroin vaccine licensed from WRAIR is in preclinical development.  It is designed to generate antibodies that bind heroin in the bloodstream, preventing it from entering the brain.  By preventing heroin and its metabolites from binding to opioid receptors in the brain, the pleasurable and harmful effects are nullified.  Successful animal studies at WRAIR will pave the way for testing the vaccine in humans, and raise the possibility of a long-lasting means of preventing relapse to heroin use. Because this vaccine is directed specifically to heroin, it is compatible with current medication-assisted treatments for opioid use disorder.

Link To Opiant's Site
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Interesting, still very early to tell as it's in preclinical stages. Would be ironic if the vaccine worked and then someone fell into a situation where morphine would be needed and well...likely not gonna have the same effect.
Does this vaccine work in kind of the same way that subutex or suboxone works ? Sounds kind of similar, not read the article you posted yet Ice, does vaccine work by having to take it everyday like subs? Or is it something you take and are then vaccinated against opiates for some time?
As pianist said, if you were to end up in a situation like a road accident or similar and needed decent pain relief say from morfine then we would be kinda stuck if we had been vaccinated.
I can see how the authorities might also use this.
Say someone addicted to H was repeating crime to pay for their H, they end up in court, judge tells them you can go to jail for a year or you can get vaccinated and wont feel the effects of H any longer, might work for some, but then an addict might decide to try something else to get a high.
I really wonder how long a person would be vaccinated for ? Interesting post Ice.
I'm familiar with cancer vaccines, despite typically not having the desired effect.

As I understand it, Subutex, suboxone, even things like naloxone and naltrexone work by either competing for, or 'kicking-off' existing opiates from opiate receptors in the body, preventing others from binding and exhibiting their effects.

The vaccine, the way the article describes, 'should' (in theory) help the body generate antibodies that would be specific for the heroin molecule (the antigen) therefore targeting it for degradation before it can reach the brain? (seems like trying to hit a home-run with a wiffle ball bat given how quickly heroin begins exhibiting its effects...). The results of the studies will be interesting, nonetheless.
Thank you for sharing, interesting read.
Very good point, thepianist.
They offer in the states a monthly shot (made by Indivior the same company that currently makes and bought out the creators of subox0ne, reckitt benckiser) rather than taking subox0ne daily. My insurance will cover subox0ne but not the shot. I also wonder what is done if pain medicine is absolutely needed if you get the monthly shot.
I'm curious how long the vaccine works, and would it stop you from being able to use things such as fent if it is specific to her0in.
(07-15-2018, 04:54 AM)andybones Wrote: Thank you for sharing, interesting read.
Very good point, thepianist.
They offer in the states a monthly shot (made by Indivior the same company that currently makes and bought out the creators of subox0ne, reckitt benckiser) rather than taking subox0ne daily. My insurance will cover subox0ne but not the shot. I also wonder what is done if pain medicine is absolutely needed if you get the monthly shot.
I'm curious how long the vaccine works, and would it stop you from being able to use things such as fent if it is specific to her0in.

That’s my other point of skepticism, they’re calling it a heroin vaccine, not opioid/opiate vaccine.  A whole host of vaccines would need to be developed for that.  And the question of frequency of shots and how well they work is yet to be seen in animals.