Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome
AKA: scromiting- screaming and vomiting is what hospitals are supposedly nicknaming it. It’s said to be associated with long term term chronic marijuana use (3-5g/day). At first I thought it was bs but then I found articles from The NY Times and news outlets that make me wonder if this is a real thing. I personally have been a heavy consumer of marijuana for over a decade and have never had any of the symptoms associated with this disorder. 

Just wondering if anyone’s has any experience with this as I am skeptical but also curious. Here is an informative article on it from leafly (a fairy pro marijuana source). If you read the comments it seems like many people have experience with it. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

what-is-cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome
-DD
how about we google it? because the site contains sources, and its a sch one still.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
ok, this is the basic syndrome. as it is legal in some states, and even second hand smoke has been proven to show up in a teatotalers urine, i thought this article had interesting points.

We can see DD's primary site. but it had way too many sources. But in looking it up, i found it to be quite interesting.

Mostly, I feel its bullshit cuz for every article some medical team publishes, the exact opposite is published the following month.

But, what if? omg. i felt that usage of MMJ was the ticket to being drug free and pain free. Not saying I use it, but man have i had GI problems, vomiting, choking on food, and a plethora of other fun things.

I shall be reading more of these articles. Because, I am skeptical as all get out, but what if???
What is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome?
Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) is a condition that leads to repeated and severe bouts of vomiting. It is rare and only occurs in daily long-term users of marijuana (cannabis). Usually marijuana and other cannabinoids decrease nausea and vomiting, but in some high frequency long-term users, marijuana has the opposite effect.

Marijuana is the dried leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds from the Cannabis sativa plant. Hashish is made from the concentrated resins of the Cannabis satvia's female flower. Marijuana has several active substances. These include tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and related chemicals. These bind to molecules found in the brain. That causes the drug “high” and other effects that users feel.

Your digestive tract also has a number of molecules that bind to THC and related substances. So marijuana also affects the digestive tract. For example, the drug can alter the time it takes the stomach to empty. It also affects the esophageal sphincter. That’s the tight band of muscle that opens and closes to let food from the esophagus into the stomach. Long-term marijuana use can change the way the affected molecules respond and lead to the symptoms of CHS.

Marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug in the U.S. Young adults are the most frequent users. A small portion of these people develop CHS. It usually only happens in people who have regularly used marijuana for several years. Often CHS affects those who use the drug at least once a day.

What causes cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome?
Marijuana has very complex effects on the body. Experts are still trying to learn exactly how it causes CHS in some people.

In the brain, marijuana often has the opposite effect of CHS. It helps prevent nausea and vomiting. The drug is also good at stopping such symptoms in people having chemotherapy.

In the digestive tract, marijuana seems to have the opposite effect. It actually makes you more likely to have nausea and vomiting. With first use, the signals from the brain may be more important. That may lead to anti-nausea effects at first. But with repeated use of marijuana, certain receptors in the brain may stop responding to the drug in the same way. That may cause the repeated bouts of vomiting found in people with CHS.

It still isn’t clear why some heavy marijuana users get the syndrome. But others do not.

What are the symptoms of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome?
People with CHS suffer from repeated bouts of vomiting. In between these episodes are times without any symptoms. Healthcare providers usually divide these symptoms into 3 stages. They are the prodromal phase, the hyperemetic phase, and the recovery phase.

During the prodromal phase, the main symptoms are usually early morning nausea and belly (abdominal) pain. Some people also develop a fear of vomiting. Most people keep normal eating patterns during this time. Some people use more marijuana because they think it will help stop the nausea. This phase may last for months to years.

The hyperemetic phase is next. Symptoms during this time may include:

Ongoing nausea
Repeated episodes of vomiting
Abdominal pain
Decreased food intake and weight loss
Symptoms of dehydration
During this phase, vomiting is often intense and overwhelming. Many people take a lot of hot showers during the day. They find that doing so eases their nausea. (That may be because of the effects of the hot temperature on a part of the brain called the hypothalamus. It has effects on both temperature regulation and vomiting.) People often first seek medical care during this phase.

The hyperemetic phase may continue until the person completely stops using marijuana. Then the recovery phrase starts. During this time, symptoms go away. Normal eating is possible again. This phase can last days to months. Symptoms usually come back if the person tries marijuana again.

How is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome diagnosed?
Many health problems can cause repeated vomiting. To make a diagnosis, your healthcare provider will ask you about your symptoms and your past health. He or she will also do a physical exam, including an exam of your abdomen.

Your healthcare provider may also need more tests to rule out other causes of the vomiting. That’s especially the case for ones that may signal a health emergency. Based on your other symptoms, these tests might include:

Blood tests for anemia and infection
Tests for electrolytes
Tests for pancreas and liver enzymes, to check these organs
Pregnancy test
Urine analysis, to test for infection or other urinary causes
Drug screen, to test for drug-related causes of vomiting
X-rays of the abdomen, to check for conditions like blockage
Upper endoscopy, to view the stomach and esophagus for possible causes of vomiting
Head CT scan, if a nervous system cause of vomiting seems likely
Abdominal CT scan, to check for health problems that might need surgery
CHS was only recently discovered. So some healthcare providers may not know about it. As a result, they may fail to spot it for many years. They often confuse CHS with cyclical vomiting disorder. It’s a health problem that causes similar symptoms. A gastroenterologist might make the diagnosis.

How is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome treated?
If you have had severe vomiting, you might need to stay in the hospital for a short time. During the hyperemesis phase, you might need these treatments:

Fluid replacement for dehydration, given through an IV
Medicines to help decrease vomiting
Pain medicine
Proton-pump inhibitors, to treat stomach inflammation
Frequent hot showers
Symptoms often ease after a day or two unless marijuana is used before this time.

To fully recover, you need to stop using marijuana all together. Some people may get help from drug rehabilitation programs to help them quit. Cognitive behavioral therapy or family therapy can also help. If you stop using marijuana, your symptoms should not come back.

What are the complications of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome?
Very severe, prolonged vomiting may lead to dehydration. It may also lead to electrolyte problems in your blood. If untreated, these can cause rare complications such as:

Brain swelling (cerebral edema)
Muscle spasms or weakness
Seizures
Kidney failure
Heart rhythm abnormalities
Shock
Your healthcare team will quickly work to fix any dehydration or electrolyte problems. Doing so can help prevent these problems.

What can I do to prevent cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome?
You can prevent CHS by not using marijuana in any form. You may be reluctant to believe that marijuana might be the underlying cause of your symptoms. That may be because you have used it for many years without having any problems. The syndrome may take several years to develop. The drug may help prevent nausea in new users who don’t use it often. But people with CHS need to completely quit using it. If they don’t, their symptoms will likely come back.

Quitting marijuana may lead to other health benefits, like:

Better lung function
Improved memory and thinking skills
Better sleep
Decreased risk for depression and anxiety
When should I call my healthcare provider?
Call your healthcare provider if you have had severe vomiting for a day or more.
Key points about cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome
CHS is a condition that leads to repeated and severe bouts of vomiting. It results from long-term use of marijuana.
Most people self-treat using hot showers to help reduce their symptoms.
Some people with the syndrome may not be diagnosed for several years. Admitting to your healthcare provider that you use marijuana daily can significantly speed up the diagnosis and possibly avoid many invasive and expensive tests.
You might need to stay in the hospital to treat dehydration from CHS.
Symptoms start to go away within a day or two after stopping marijuana use. In people with CHS, symptoms almost always come back if they use the drug again.
Next steps
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:

Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
Saint Luke's logo
rat bastards. one plant from God is kratom and being taken away. Now, they want us to believe that this plant is responsible for horrific symptoms.

For one, many of us used this method of relief of pain cuz no PKs were getting thru. And, the medical industry has done its best to convince us that PKs and benzos are the kiss of death. We may only be scripted humira and some other nonsense.

This would take many years of study to see what problems the patient had before. Many started using MMJ cuz of symptoms they were presenting with. What is their family history? In what form did they use it? Cuz we have heard that if one smokes cigs, PLUS mmj, one can develop lung cancer. We were informed usage of plain MMJ did not cause cancer.

Not to mention the hospitals and big pharma are not making big money now. People can grow and make their own. If one jumped thru enuff hoops in NY, and had one or two accepted illnesses, one had to pay cash of 3500 every three months to "cure" or help their lupus. Were they lying then or now or on both occassions?

And, as we age, I am often told that people develop problems with esophogus, and are in danger of choking on bread. And thereafter vomiting.

Lets see: they took away nausea meds. they took away pain meds. benzos. And, many of us are older and will exhibit certain symptoms anyhoo.

So, what the frig do they expect people in agony to use? In NY, one is only allowed methadone. And one is supposed to agree to die in three months or go cold turkey. As a chronic pain, anxiety patient.

Geeze, i can rehydrate with gatorade. I know NY doctors no longer give nausea meds.

This seems to be safe. So, gone on and frighten people to death about it.
I agree Charon, seems to be a scare tactic to me. Almost reminds me of modern day “reefer madness” propaganda. Interesting to say the least..
-DD
I have been to the ER with my girlfriend 3 times in 30 days. This not counting her 2 doctor appointments with her Gastroenterologists. One of these appointments was a stomach emptying study, a final attempt to find out what's wrong, as biopsies have found nothing, and recommendations have gone nowhere.

I am not exageratting when I tell you our day, 4 to 5 times a week starts off with her waking up in the A.M paralyzed with abdominal pain, vovomiting.Almost every day for the past year and a half.

The doctors, her variety of ER doctors, her Gastroenterologists, were all very quick to blame this on cannabis hyperemesis-syndrome.

I wasnt buying it, and neither was she.

I find it funny in a not so funny way that this once much rare diagnosis has become sobcommon and well known in such a short amount of time. As if it is only caused by legal MMJ.

Its too ironic.. She was using this plant for pain, and nasua, NOW they tell her it is causing her pain and nasua!

So what does one do? It is so frustrating. Frustration added to the helplessness of watching a loved ones debilitating agony.

(Please forgive the typos this morning. In using my tablet which apparently adds and removes letters as it pleases i just noticed)
So from what I’ve read it seems that the biggest rise in cases of this alleged condition is in states where it is recreational (obviously). One hypothesis is that some of the chemicals or fertilizers are the culprit. After al,l there is no health or safety regulation on this industry yet and many samples have tested positive for harmful chemicals. Most of the time (as with food) we don’t have to worry too much about potentially harmful toxins because they can be filtered by the liver but the lungs are pretty much direct inject into the bloodstream and any toxins in what is inhaled won’t get that chance to be filtered out.

Now with that being said there are many people claiming they are home growers who use absolutely no additives to their product yet also suffer from this condition. There are people who only use edibles who claim to have it. It’s puzzling. Again I remain skeptical of these reports but do find it interesting that doctors are now going on record and reporting increasing number of cases. And of course the guarneteed cure? We’ll just stop smoking...hmmmm makes ya wonder a bit. Anyway I actually find it to help with stomach pain and nausea but there are some theories out there as to why it would be harmful to the gut over time.

Mattie: if you don’t mind me asking did your girlfriend stop smoking when the doctors told her mmj was the cause? And if so have her symptoms gone away? Thanks for sharing your story!

PS; another symptom of this syndrom is the constant need to take warm baths or showers as this supposedly helps detract from the stomach pain.
-DD
Never heard of this, sounds like a scare story, having a small amount of green helps take away the nausea i get from IBS, we cant get any anti nausea meds from my dr, so after trying various herbal teas which help just a little, i have a small amount of what you in the US call MM and nausea goes away, only thing is it makes me fall asleep easily.
Now if we in the UK got actual MM where i could take it without the high it would be very helpful, alas the UK is stuck in some dark past where anything like MM is frowned upon by the government who are all probably drunk on cheap booze from the subsidized bar at the house of commons or parliament as its also known, they really need to wake up and get weed like it is in many states in the US, far less harmful than a lot of meds they push on us.
i have to research this more thoroughly. the only possible reason, if true at all, would be the fertilizer.

and, hell, look at what they did to our people in vietnam with fertilizer. and we still have trails of chemicals coming all over.

but, the vast majority of people tried the MMJ because it was that or they were fairly certain that death was imminent.

Remember those damn shingle commercials? some obnoxious former athlete pushed his fat arse into a home and told them to get shingles vaccines. but, u dont see those much cuz so many were proven to develop shingles twice thereafter. and had permanent pain and distortions on their skin.

oh, maybe MMJ would help. they make a balm also.

and they put up horrific commercials to mothers: if u dont give ur child this new and untested vaccine, they will get cancer and make a commercial about u also.

how come so many of those not exposed to all the vaccines they gave us, have lived to be in their nineties. No member of my clan surpasses seventy. its the cancer.

i gotta research this. i know much about FDA and their fear tactics. rite now, everyone must get sleep tests and wear cpack or ccap tin foil hats on their noses.

and, dont forget, we forgot to tell any of u that u can get hep C from being a baby boomer.

the vast majority turned to these meds cuz it was these meds, which are available, or suicide really.

I saw way too many drug sales people try to make my medical dr sister script their products. so she gave up being a doctor.

this infuriates me. I might believe there is something in fertilizer. But too many reported being ill and that is why they tried the friggin MMJ.

and, the Psychiatric Manual, whom decides whom medicare gets paid for by treating people, took anorexia off the list. and put up healthy eating. u can be committed and forced to see a psych if u only eat healthy foods.

And puhleeze, lupus is tested by how quickly our blood coagulates against snake venom. u kidding me? uncle bubba cannot get work but he can raise them thar snakes. Then, if one has lupus, which has no cure, one is to take the malaria drug. why?

With as much respect as i can muster, doctors and scientists often don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. make no decisions based on them trying to make money and a career.

you are your own doctor. never relinguish control of your own health to some doctor. do ur research. listen to your god.

seriously, what rat bastards. It aint the tree of life and death that MMJ is made from. Where do they get this crap?