Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Northern white rhino: Last male Sudan dies in Kenya
(03-21-2018, 03:22 PM)IceWizard Wrote: Check this out...

Here’s everything you need to know about that massive rhino statue at Astor Place

(03-21-2018, 02:54 PM)Blockhead59 Wrote: Reading this and Charon's article about Cecil, the lion, has literally given me a stomach ache. So sad. To think that we humans led to the extinction of Sudan and other rhinos bc of our to our misdeeds and greed is a tragedy. I can understand if some tiny-mini-micro bug (?), we don't even know about, becomes extinct due to its own natural devices, but even that is part of the ecosystem. The caretakers of these animals are so connected with them, and treat them almost like relatives. It's beautiful.

My daughter went to Thailand and spent time at an elephant sanctuary. She and her bf were told that most of the Americans (and other Westeners) who visit the elephants want to go to the sanctuary, where the elephants are treated humanely and interact with the elephants. Others from other nations want to visit the place where the elephants do tricks. No offense to anyone, just repeating what I was told.

I also have not seen the rhino in NY. Does anyone know where it is?
Thank you so much, Ice. I hope to get a chance to see it. Despite the "iffy-ness" the writer mentions (that it looks like a circus act), I still think it beautiful.
I've been following this story for a week or two and it's so sad. Needing armed guards 24/7 is a real indication to where our society is going. The horn is suppose to be an aphrodisiac in some Asian cultures, but has been scientifically proven not to be. I believe it's the same material that we have in our finger nails. They've had to cut off the horns of some of these animals to make them useless to poachers. As Charon and others have said " one can judge a people by how they treated their animals"