Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
But the meds don't work...
Good grief.  People are still being paid to engage in this debate? (For URLs replace xx with pp, then copy and paste into your browser's address bar)

The drugs do work: antidepressants are effective, study shows
hxxps://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/21/the-drugs-do-work-antidepressants-are-effective-study-shows

Quote:Doctors hope study will put to rest doubts about the medicine, and help to address global under-treatment of depression

Sarah Boseley Health editor
Wed 21 Feb 2018 23.30 GMT

Antidepressants work – some more effectively than others – in treating depression, according to authors of a groundbreaking study which doctors hope will finally put to rest doubts about the controversial medicine.

Millions more people around the world should be prescribed pills or offered talking therapies, which work equally well for moderate to severe depression, say the doctors, noting that just one in six people receive proper treatment in the rich world – and one in 27 in the developing world.

The study published in The Lancet took six years, Cipriani said, and included all the published and unpublished data that the scientists could find. It was carried out by a team of international experts. They looked at results after eight weeks of more than 500 trials involving either a drug versus placebo or comparing two different medicines.

The most famous antidepressant of them all, Prozac – now out of patent and known by its generic name, fluoxetine – was one of the least effective but best tolerated, measured by a low drop-out rate in the trials or fewer side-effects reported. The most effective of the drugs was amitriptyline, which was the sixth best tolerated.

Related (long study, well-worth the read):
hxxp://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32802-7/fulltext

Quote:Major depressive disorder is one of the most common, burdensome, and costly psychiatric disorders worldwide in adults. Pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments are available; however, because of inadequate resources, antidepressants are used more frequently than psychological interventions. Prescription of these agents should be informed by the best available evidence. Therefore, we aimed to update and expand our previous work to compare and rank antidepressants for the acute treatment of adults with unipolar major depressive disorder.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil

(02-23-2018, 02:48 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Did not read your link, but am sorry you are down? Hope you find help soon My Friend!!!-FF

I'm fine FF, no worries - My issues are all anxiety related, not depression, and relocating from the Southeast to the Northeast for a new job isn't helping those much, but thanks to this community's resources I was able to obtain enough di@z to keep things under control.  These articles just made me so disgusted I had to post them ;-)

Thanks for the good wishes though, my friend.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil

Yeah im a bit confused as well some input on your opinion might been more clear ? ive only heard some horror stories about ADs and some ok stories, no opinion is it effective or not really, as it seems to cut it for some, and most docs tend to give em freely nowadays. if we compare that to anxiety and not depression then the talk is different,as there nothing actually to treat besides either coping, trying to overcome or suppressing it.

As for me depression would be person losses interest and motivation, in other words doing smth just makes them sad or they so no purpose in it.
Where anxiety is avoiding any triggers,not because you feel down but because it makes you feel ill be it mentally or physically what would rather be normal for most to do otherwise.
well they better work because they are addictive, or so they say. I don’t know, it just seems foolish of the medical establishment has turned against even small dosages of old-school methods. And I’m not talking Quaaludes or anything like that. I’m just talking very low schedule for staff. I won’t touch Lexapro, as it was Not for me but everyone is different
Ssri's were approved by the FDA knowing that they had like 6-10% success
Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stranger[Image: lightbulb.png]
SSRIs have made a huge difference to me over the past 15 years. They have really helped my anxiety. Am currently managing well on sertraline. I change every few years as efficacy can taper. The only one I didn’t get on well with was Citalpram, but it suits other people I know. The first few days of coral Oprah were awful, very dark thoughts.
(04-15-2019, 10:48 AM)Cantique Wrote: SSRIs have made a huge difference to me over the past 15 years. They have really helped my anxiety. Am currently managing well on sertraline. I change every few years as efficacy can taper. The only one I didn’t get on well with was Citalpram, but it suits other people I know. The first few days of coral Oprah were awful, very dark thoughts.

Are you a guy or gal? Only reason I ask is because sertraline made me not want to be alive as a guy. It literally neutered me as a man. Yes it eliminated anxiety, but I was able to then calmly think about how horrific feeling castrated was. I would recommend viibryd. It’s a new anti depressant that is also effective against GAD and doesn’t have any of the weight Gain or sexual side effects.
Wikipedia says this about Vilazodone (Viibryd)

It is in the serotonin modulator class of medications and is believed to work both as an SSRI and activator of the 5-HT1A receptor.
Individual results are widely different for this group of meds, it seems.  For me, prozac was ineffective and useless.  Amitriptyline had terrible side effects for me.  The first time I took it, I couldn't get my head off my pillow for over 2 days.  I've been on sertraline + a benzo now for several years with wonderful results, but that's just me.
I'm sorry to hear that Wannabe. No I didn't/don't have any issues like that. Isn't it funny how SSRIs have same method of action yet such a different impact on an individual basis. Like I mentioned re Citalopram - it literally made me want to jump out of a window, but a few of my friends are getting on really well with it. My favourite ever was venlaflaxine but years ago there was a scare about it and the doc took me off it. Don't want to remember that experience!