Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on Lexapro and Effexor?
Was interested in the thoughts of these two prescriptions.
Lex apro is an SSRI.  I was given those (not Lex apro) when I was a child and I hated them.  SSRI's are anti-depressants, where as eff xor is a nerve affector that I have no experience with.
I was prescribed Lexapro and I absolutely hated it within the first four days of being on it. My doctor then suggested I should increase my dosage which I did and told her if she had not listened to my first thoughts on the actual medication. I now have been given Effexor and I am on my second day. haven’t really felt anything different Partly because I have the flu and been sick so I can’t really distinguish anything in addition I take other medications so not sure how those will interact doctor says it’s fine but I’m considering changing my doctor. Thank you for your assistance and insight
(02-01-2018, 03:32 PM)Xfizzler Wrote: Was interested in the thoughts of these two prescriptions.

Hi Xfizzler hope you're ok everyone reacts slightly different to each medication so what works for me might not do it for you i have however switched from Mirtazepine to effexor (Venlafaxine) and have been on it for a year. I regard antidepressants as something that i will need all my life now after several unsuccessful attempts to come off them Venlafaxine is by far the best anti depressant i have been on and I've taken, its chemical molecule is almost identical to Tramadol and when I use that i get an amazing antidepressant side effect also, A word of caution though is that  I've heard its hell to come off it and it certainly bites me when I forget a dose as for the escitalopram i have not had experience with this one but i was on Citalopram for 6 years it did nothing to me at low doses and gave me manic episodes at high dose.
So in conclusion i personally have had great success with Effexor (venlafaxine) and would recommend it to be tried but from what i have read ots one of those you love it or you hate it kind of things.
All the best
I can't speak for Effexor but I strongly dislike Lexapro. I took that and Depakote for a little while and it felt like my mind had been muffled, not like an anti-anxiety or antipsychotic "zombie" effect, but like an unnatural personality change, that also included horrible agitation. However, I know an individual who has been completely altered for the better with Lexapro, to each their own. Thank you.
Greaseman could not have said it any better.  For sure. SSRI's are a godsend to some, horrible for others.
Hey, X,
Like those on this thread are saying, I think that AD's are never "one size fits all". I will say that Lex is a bit different, in the fact that it contains a proprietary anxiolytic and is approved for treating panic disorder. It's an SSRI, as opposed to Effexor, which is an SNRI. SNRI's increase dopamine and norepinephrine levels in the brain by delaying their reuptake. People who suffer from "anxiety-based depression" sometimes cannot handle the increase in norepinephrine and the excitatory effect it has on the brain and body.. For those people, an SSRI tends to be a better choice. For those with "apathy-based depression", the SNRI is usually preferable.  RM
i was on lexapro a few years ago after a traumatic accident led to panic attacks. my dr as well keep increasing my dose to no avail. he even said w/ these kind of medications its hit or miss. there is no one size fits all.
If you also have anxiety, Stay away from Effexor cause is norepinephrine reuptake too, not just serotonin.
I was on Effexor for a year back in the horrible dot-com era - Kaiser Permanente insurance, they don't write for benz@s AT ALL.  Plus: It did control my GAD, minus, it leeched every emotion and my entire libido from me.  I was a humdrum robot for a year...Not anxious, not happy, not sad, really didn't care about anything at all.

That's not to say it will effect you in that manner, but everyone I speak to who has been prescribed the Devil's own SSRI (Effexor) describes similar results.

My youngest daughter, on the other hand, has been on Lexapro for five years, first 10mg, then 20mg daily, and she's completely happy with it.  Eliminated her panic attacks completely, hasn't affected her mood or character - She loves it.  She's also on 20mg Adderall a day (10mg twice a day) for ADHD - I wish they'd tested her earlier for that one, she did well at University, but could have done better.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil