Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effective sleeping pills
(07-29-2019, 04:58 PM)MoJim Wrote: Melatonin works for me, but only in very small doses of .5 or .25mg. Anything higher gives very very strange dreams. Benydral (Diphenhydramine) works well, but I will only rotate it into my sleep routine once or twice a week. My RX for amitriptyline works too well as it will knock me out for 12 hrs, so again only once a week maybe. It is mostly used for depression and anxiety disorders and less so for insomnia. Never take it with alcohol!

ZMA sounds like a good option especially being OTC.
I wish amitriptyline worked for me. I was hopeful it would give me some rest but it failed. It’s so sad, insomnia is destroying me.
I've had no luck with trazadone, melatonin, and Rozeram (a prescription drug that works like melatonin, but stronger.) Benzos get me maybe two-three hours asleep, then I'm wide-awake again. I was prescribed gabapentin for bad pain (central pain) but a standard dose left me out cold for 48 hours (other than occasionally staggering to the bathroom as the room spun and I saw double.) Small doses of gabapentin don't have much effect on me -- the problem is, gabapentin takes *way* too long to wear off on me, possibility because of my severe liver disease. So, it either does nothing of keeps me flat out for days.

Zolpidem (Ambien) is the only thing that works for me. I have been trying and trying to see a psychiatrist so I can get an RX for it. Psychiatrists always agree that I really should be on Ambien, but getting in to see one in my area seems near-impossible. I do have some Zopiclone on hand right now, but it just doesn't work as well for me as Ambien. Last night, I took Zopiclone and went to sleep, but woke up less than three hours later.
(09-11-2019, 05:51 PM)Peony13 Wrote: I've had no luck with trazadone, melatonin, and Rozeram (a prescription drug that works like melatonin, but stronger.)  Benzos get me maybe two-three hours asleep, then I'm wide-awake again.  I was prescribed gabapentin for bad pain (central pain) but a standard dose left me out cold for 48 hours (other than occasionally staggering to the bathroom as the room spun and I saw double.) Small doses of gabapentin don't have much effect on me -- the problem is, gabapentin takes *way* too long to wear off on me, possibility because of my severe liver disease. So, it either does nothing of keeps me flat out for days.

Zolpidem (Ambien) is the only thing that works for me. I have been trying and trying to see a psychiatrist so I can get an RX for it. Psychiatrists always agree that I really should be on Ambien, but getting in to see one in my area seems near-impossible. I do have some Zopiclone on hand right now, but it just doesn't work as well for me as Ambien. Last night, I took Zopiclone and went to sleep, but woke up less than three hours later.
Interesting, I was prescribed gabapentin for my upper back/ neck pain and too little does nothing, and a little extra just gives me a headache and feels dysphoric. As well as the zopiclone I take a 1 7.5mg pill and a half and sleep through the night all the way till the morning, dont even wake up when I really need to pee lol. Maybe you're not taking the right dose? Or maybe your insomnia/sleep problems are much worse than mine.
I am pretty desperate to find something to help me get to sleep. I have always had trouble with sleep but my mother died very suddenly a month ago and she and I were close. I have been so depressed that sleep is impossible.
I went to a doctor and asked for 10 pills of Ambien and he said no. I have never asked my doctor for any controlled pill so I was shocked. I just wanted something to help me get over the worst part. But I miss her so much
That is very interesting, I will have to try this out. -- I know Melatonin works for me, but I also found that natural Valerian Root, helps anxiety and sleep insomnia, also. This has been working for me, for a few days but again I am drinking a lot more than "suggested" on the tincture bottles.
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell. -- [stay positive, stay strong, feed your soul. ]
Quote:I went to a doctor and asked for 10 pills of @mbien and he said no

I specifically asked for a one-time prescription from my Doc, after explaining that I wanted them to get over jet-lag when flying over the pond. She said that was fine. But that was two years ago, and since that time @mbien prescription has all but halted in the US. I expect to make a similar request this year when it's time to make that trip again. If she says she can't prescribe it, I guess I'll ask her what she can prescribe?

On the UK side, most people I know who were being prescribed @mbien are now on prescription Z0pyclone.

Benny
There is a big difference between melatonin which action is to reset the brain at a special time to go to sleep and a relaxant like zolpidem which will cool your brain. 

The first one is a natural hormone encouraging the brain to follow your instruction to produce melatonin every 24h after you take a dose. Perfect for jetlag by example or if you went occasionally out of you regular sleep time. Second is an synthetic hypnotic, and sleep pattern will not be natural. I am surprised to see here that some people feel dizzy the morning, when we know the half life is only about 3 hours. Probably they take more than 10mg. I can feel dizzi after a xanax (12 hours half life), but usually after a good coffe a 30 minutes it is ok. About tolerance, sure you can get it if you take it every night for many months.

therefore if you can go with melatonin, it is best (my oppinion). Also you can mix small dose of zolpidem with melatonin. You can rotate also. By example taking melatonin 7 days and zolpidem 7 days.

BUT you can also cure you insomnia. Starting with few days with melatonin at THE SAME HOUR. and going to bet at same time each days including week end. AND NOT TRING TO SLEEP. You are just relaxing in your bed and that is enough. Sleep will come when it will be the moment.
(10-10-2019, 11:55 PM)jeanbrun Wrote: There is a big difference between melatonin which action is to reset the brain at a special time to go to sleep and a relaxant like zolpidem which will cool your brain. 

The first one is a natural hormone encouraging the brain to follow your instruction to produce melatonin every 24h after you take a dose. Perfect for jetlag by example or if you went occasionally out of you regular sleep time. Second is an synthetic hypnotic, and sleep pattern will not be natural. I am surprised to see here that some people feel dizzy the morning, when we know the half life is only about 3 hours. Probably they take more than 10mg. I can feel dizzi after a xanax (12 hours half life), but usually after a good coffe a 30 minutes it is ok. About tolerance, sure you can get it if you take it every night for many months.

therefore if you can go with melatonin, it is best (my oppinion). Also you can mix small dose of zolpidem with melatonin. You can rotate also. By example taking melatonin 7 days and zolpidem 7 days.

BUT you can also cure you insomnia. Starting with few days with melatonin at THE SAME HOUR. and going to bet at same time each days including week end. AND NOT TRING TO SLEEP. You are just relaxing in your bed and that is enough. Sleep will come when it will be the moment.

It is good that melatonin works for you, but it DOES NOT work for everyone, and certainly IS NOT a cure for insomnia. If zolpidem works for someone, then yes, use it.  Shaking things,up every few days so tolerance doesn't build is a good idea.   Going to bed at the same time is part of sleep hygiene and is also a good idea.  As someone who has dealt with insomnia for more than half my life, I take offense at someone telling me it can be cured by lying in my bed and relaxing after downing some non-effective melatonin.  It isn't that cut and dry for most of us.
valium has always worked for me, and it's a muscle relaxer also and halcion, but I h avent it seen around for decent price since my favorite iop went down
My experience of melatonin is it worked great for sleep my first night taking it but it's definitely not a long term solution for me, however I do know a lot of people find it helpful.