Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym/Working Out
Well gyms don't work for everyone. I do not do well in crowded or busy environments. A book for some like me that may work is Solitary Fitness by Charlie Bronson (the notorious criminal from the UK, not the US actor). In it he lays out a work out regimen that can be carried out anywhere in your own home. There are some ridiculous things in it but the core routine is actually very helpful. I tried the gym for a while but couldn't stand driving there, being there etc. so I moved onto this book. Then I moved on again and don't work out too much, which I'm trying to remedy. At the end of the day I prefer outdoor walks to push ups.
I'm actually with the docs on this one. Rejoined a gym 2 months ago and my mental health is much improved with exercise. I just took a new role which is longer hours/more stress, but a good workout certainly gets rid of some of those stresses, and I feel better about my body as well (I'm a long way from a six pack but we've all go to start somewhere!)

Funny the above post about crowds. I have real swings in my desire to interact with people, sometimes I can be quite gregarious, others I just don't want to interact at all (and I really don't like taking taxis, enclosed space with a stranger where it's rude to leave your headphones on!)
(01-13-2018, 06:13 AM)Naomi Wrote: Every doctor I've seen and every article I've read recommends going to the gym/working out to help with depression. I understand that the physical activity will release endorphins which should help with mood. I also understand that people can get a natural high from the sense of accomplishment. I've tried going to the gym so many times and I just don't get anything from it. If anything, I'm more annoyed and just waiting until I can go home and watch tv. Does anyone else experience this?

Hey, Naomi. I was a lifelong bodybuilder before I got sick and I needed to have my fix every day. There are so many positive things associated with working out. In every unbiased study that I have ever seen, it ranks either number 1 or number 2 for relieving depression. The increase in Serotonin, the endorphin release, and the sense of accomplishment that is achieved by doing it are probably responsible for this. Try to stick with it. Nobody starts out by enjoying it. There is a turning point, though. For some people it comes after a week or two. For some, it may take months. But keep at it. You will suddenly begin feeling that its not so bad after all. Keep at it some more after that and you eventually may actually become addicted to it. You won't be able to sleep right or function without your workout. I know that seems counterintuitive, but it is reality for many, many people. Cheers. RM
I started working out within the last year and I personally can tell you it was the greatest activity I picked up! There are days where I feel super lazy so I bought some preworkout to get me to the gym! Just some basic advice: I would always focus on form first, and then worry about the amount of weights your lifting. If weights intimidate you, start with some cardio! I don't mind suggesting some basic workouts if you aren't too knowledgeable on the topic!
There are tons of things to try, from swiming to kangoo jumping , you must find the one that fit to you. Also, don't forget something so simple like running, you can run alone or in group .
even simple walking counts as exercise. i like to track my steps at the end of the day. they say 10k is a good aim. i sit all day at work, so sometimes i barely get 2000 steps in.
Gyms are great, but I prefer using my elliptical at home and preferably a vigorous hike in the mountains/nature has always worked well for me. Studies has shown the positive effects of getting out into nature and with the added benefits of a workout it's a win win.
I really should start working out again.  I have a cheap (but decent) gym membership and am prescribed 150mg of test per week for TRT (Through the VA, thank goodness...that stuff is expensive!)

Maybe when it warms up a bit outside ;-)
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil

I have a daily regimen of a blender filled with everything from seeds to spinach, berries, yogurt, etc. (you need half your weight in protein a day to avoid becoming catabolic). That along with about 30-45 minutes everyday. No matter what you do just listen to your body. Eat complex carbs before working out and stay far away from any bread that is not in the complex carb list (hey are useless). I have been on a health kick ever since my diagnosis and feel better than I did before. You are what you eat. Exercise too!.. just get your heart rate up, can change your brain chemistry. Good luck and PM me if anyone has questions, I have done a good bit of research and read many books on the topic, I'm glad to help if I can. Have a great day my friends!
"It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has."  -William Olser
(02-07-2018, 04:02 PM)OldBoy Wrote: I really should start working out again.  I have a cheap (but decent) gym membership and am prescribed 150mg of test per week for TRT (Through the VA, thank goodness...that stuff is expensive!)

Maybe when it warms up a bit outside ;-)

I would LOVE for it to warm up so I could go for walks, jogs, etc. I don't always feel like doing the whole gym process, I just want to walk out my door and get going. At least Spring is coming soon.