Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym/Working Out
(01-14-2018, 10:55 PM)Naomi Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 09:28 PM)maldita Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 06:13 AM)Naomi Wrote: Every doctor I've seen and every article I've read recommends going to the gym/working out to help with depression. I understand that the physical activity will release endorphins which should help with mood. I also understand that people can get a natural high from the sense of accomplishment. I've tried going to the gym so many times and I just don't get anything from it. If anything, I'm more annoyed and just waiting until I can go home and watch tv. Does anyone else experience this?

This is the consensus in the scientific world. It does not mean it will work for you. There will always be outliers. When I was able to do a lot of physical activity, I will run (and I do get a runners high), do mountaineering activities. I never got a chance to go to the gym as they always ask me for a doctor's note and none of them will sign. As my physical problems worsen, I had to change to other activities, such as cycling (which took me two years to learn!) and is gentler on the joints. The Gym might not be for you but I do hope you find the activities you enjoy that would help with the depression.

TY Maldita. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I have found cycling easier on my knees, I can't run for very long. I've been looking into at home working programs on YouTube. I'm thinking maybe taking away the pressure of going to the gym and feeling like everyone is looking at me might help.

I'm the same way.  Running is always one great hour and two days of pain for my knees.  I cycle every other day and love the joy that comes with it.
(03-02-2021, 09:20 PM)Kingzzz Wrote: If anyone needs any ideas of workouts or wanna bounce some ideas off of a physical therapy professional I got you guys !
that is nice to know King.  I need specific work outs for my piriformis Muscle,  by the end of the day I can hardly move.  I try to do daily stretches and walk but so far nothing.  The more I hurt the less active I am and I know that isn't good.  Any suggestions?
(04-20-2021, 01:12 PM)Kingzzz Wrote: I personally think that the addictive part of it and that “high” you speak of, is when you’re able to look in the mirror and start seeing your body change. It’s very addictive and if you’re like me. When you see abs forming you get super excited and wanna keep going. The compliments you get are great too. It’s like the whole world notices your efforts. When you are putting full effort in the gym of course. Not just halfing it

My ex was exactly like that. Once he saw results he'd keep going back. It's definitely an addiction in itself. He would never be home cause he would work then spend the whole day and night at the gym. I don't know if that's a form of body dysmorphia? Correct me if in wrong. He would just obsess over his body and complain "im not big enough" when his arms were so big he could barely wipe his own ass.
Confused
Please consult with your doc or an in person PT that can do an evaluation and create a treatment plan with you.  Each person has individual issues, and one size does not fit all when it comes to your body.
How do you all stick to a plan? I have a hard time getting started but once I am used to it things go more smoothly. Anyone used this ? >https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
Dang... I missed going to the gym today!!!

That makes 6 years in a row...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Hey JBurrow, I have a question. 
It used to be super easy to do high protein low fat and lose weight. It's not so easy now. 
I know cardio and weights 3x per week is what I need, but I can't do that at the moment. 
The job I'm doing has me at a desk all day. I've always had to move and be active in past jobs.  There is absolutely no way I can do 10,000 steps a day.
Do you have any suggestions  that I can do at work?
(08-03-2023, 05:50 PM)JBurrow Wrote: So I obviously don't know what you got going on in life but there business owners and on call doctors who have time to devote to their health.  You don't have yget 10000 steps a day it's about moving more is the bottom line.  How many hours a week do you work?  What are you doing in your free time?

Well that was a pretty snotty remark.  I asked to get a different perspective. 
I have time and do take care of my health but thanks for making a bunch of generalizations.
Cool Heart
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

{video=youtube}https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9l-jicUEM{/video}

Trade the { } to [ ]

that part that says video=youtube is just where it is being hosted, ie, vimeo, Ut00b, fakebook etc...

I've never used the bottom of the page to post vids, so that I am not familiar with

and for the record.... It is NEVER okay to smart off to ANY of the Mods, Admins or our Pioneers...

That is a battle you will lose...
That I am quite sure of

I've yet to say anything about your remarks....
However , when I do chime in, well lets just say the Ladies you spoken with
and corrected you are very very nice....
But I'm no lady and I surely am not nice

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit