Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello & Happy Holidays from Australia
welcome aboard. May u find all u need. Quite wise to have read the rules. It is unreal how many people think rules are not very important in terms of safety.

I like your spirit. Have fun.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Hello and welcome Richardg8092. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday.
How to get to 50 meaningful contributions - that's my dilemma.

I've been doing lots of reading over the last few days; sorting the Open Forums in various ways - most stars, most replies, most views, etc.
I've also been using keywords to search for topics that I'm interested in, or have a question about.
But the bottom line is that I really feel I should only leave a comment if it's going to add some value to the conversation.
Dropping comments like "Me too. I know what you mean." at the end of every topic would quickly build up my numbers sure; but would it be useful to anyone?  No.

I'm keen to take on board any suggestions that the older & wiser members might have to offer a serious Newbie like myself.
Maybe I'm taking it a little TOO seriously (it wouldn't be the first time!) - or perhaps there are other ways of contributing that have thus far eluded me.
My ears are open.
Thanks in advance.
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.
(01-01-2018, 10:59 AM)Richardg8092 Wrote: How to get to 50 meaningful contributions - that's my dilemma.

I've been doing lots of reading over the last few days; sorting the Open Forums in various ways - most stars, most replies, most views, etc.
I've also been using keywords to search for topics that I'm interested in, or have a question about.
But the bottom line is that I really feel I should only leave a comment if it's going to add some value to the conversation.
Dropping comments like "Me too. I know what you mean." at the end of every topic would quickly build up my numbers sure; but would it be useful to anyone?  No.

I'm keen to take on board any suggestions that the older & wiser members might have to offer a serious Newbie like myself.
Maybe I'm taking it a little TOO seriously (it wouldn't be the first time!) - or perhaps there are other ways of contributing that have thus far eluded me.
My ears are open.
Thanks in advance.
Not to worry, Richard. It will come in time. Sometimes one may be trying too hard. Just think of the knowledge that is already in your head, which I am sure is extensive. I sound stupid advising anyone because I have only been here a couple of months. I can tell you that, if you work at it, you can thrive here. Go to some of my threads (nearly all of them are on the medical part of the forum) and join in. I have opened discussions about depression, anxiety, SAD, appetite problems, just about everything. I am sure there is something there for you to jump in on and post some meaningful info. BTW, your own personal feelings are meaningful, for the purposes of these kind of discussions. (Oh, I love your country). Regards, RM
Welcome to the forum Richard, may you find all that you seek my friend!
"The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease"  -William Osler

"The art of Medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease"  -Voltaire

(01-01-2018, 02:57 PM)Rafterman Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 10:59 AM)Richardg8092 Wrote: How to get to 50 meaningful contributions - that's my dilemma.
Not to worry, Richard. It will come in time. Sometimes one may be trying too hard. Just think of the knowledge that is already in your head, which I am sure is extensive. I sound stupid advising anyone because I have only been here a couple of months. I can tell you that, if you work at it, you can thrive here. Go to some of my threads (nearly all of them are on the medical part of the forum) and join in. I have opened discussions about depression, anxiety, SAD, appetite problems, just about everything. I am sure there is something there for you to jump in on and post some meaningful info. BTW, your own personal feelings are meaningful, for the purposes of these kind of discussions. (Oh, I love your country). Regards, RM

Thank you for the invite, Rafterman.   I've restricted myself to the IOP forums so far because, as I understand it, only posts in there count towards the Magical 50.  (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!).  
It's a while ago now, but I  spent a decade and a half of my early working life as a CAM clinician - so I will definitely be getting involved in the medical forums.
It will be so interesting to learn what's changed. What's new & promising? Which of the traditional natural meds are still held in high regard?  (Did some-one say KAVA?) 
It is something of a consolation knowing that although many (most?) IOP's wont ship to Australia, the Kava extract most often regarded as the best standardized extract on the planet, is manufactured right here in Oz. 
So in the absence of anything else, I will always have great Kava.

Thanks for your reply Rafterman, and I look forward to catching up with you in the medical forums.
(01-02-2018, 07:51 AM)Richardg8092 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 02:57 PM)Rafterman Wrote:

Thank you for the invite, Rafterman.   I've restricted myself to the IOP forums so far because, as I understand it, only posts in there count towards the Magical 50.  (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!).  
It's a while ago now, but I  spent a decade and a half of my early working life as a CAM clinician - so I will definitely be getting involved in the medical forums.
It will be so interesting to learn what's changed. What's new & promising? Which of the traditional natural meds are still held in high regard?  (Did some-one say KAVA?) 
It is something of a consolation knowing that although many (most?) IOP's wont ship to Australia, the Kava extract most often regarded as the best standardized extract on the planet, is manufactured right here in Oz. 
So in the absence of anything else, I will always have great Kava.

Thanks for your reply Rafterman, and I look forward to catching up with you in the medical forums.

Howdy again, Rich
All of the on-top areas count toward the 50, not only IOP. So feel free to mosey on over to the medical section and go to town. It should be a breeze with your background!  Regards! RM
Perhaps we have a current glitch. and perhaps that glitch allows a music post to count toward first fifty posts.

Encouragement toward another is always gonna count as a post.

I have faith in u. You don't have to write doctoral thesis in here, we just want to know u a tad bit before we share info.

You can do it.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Ha Ha Ha! Well, when in doubt, re-read the rules, Richard!
Rule 3 says "Posts made in the OFF TOPIC area do not count towards your 50 Posts."

The way I read this was "Stay ON TOPIC in your posts about IOP's, IOP General Discussion, Who's Got it & Suggest IOP's"

But I now see what Rule 3 is referring to - it's the area titled.... "OFF TOPIC".
Really? Could it have been any clearer? No.
What a shame there's not a smilie for "outrageously embarrassed". I could use it right about now.

So now I'll head into in 'Diets and Supplements' and 'Addiction & Recovery' - both topics of special interest to me.
I'll read widely and somehow try keep my posts down to 5 per day  Rolleyes.
(Ha Ha Ha. And here I was all worried about never being able to get to 50 posts.....)

Thank you Rafterman & Charon for steering me in the right direction.  (insert embarrassed emoji again)
R.