Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The effect of music on the human stress response
(01-01-2018, 02:56 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Hi RF and Fury, maybe I need more music in my life.  

Charon, the song you like -- learn something new everyday.

Love this one, too, Fire. Its got that Celtic pop sound that was popular for such a short time in the US. I wish that there were more like it. So original and well done.

(01-01-2018, 11:57 PM)Furyan66 Wrote: The Perfect Song...

"All I Want To Do Is Have My Peace Of Mind"

It really does say it all, doesn't it? That entire album had such a laid back tone. Energetic, but laid back at the same time. Like the guys were just looking for peace. I used to use the entire album to decompress back then. It was such a sensation when it was released, but it really sounds just as good right now.
Music has saved my life over the last few weeks. Seriously. Actually my entire life.  No insurance, Dr or meds. Bring on the Greatful Dead. I start my day with a nice version of Eyes of the world and Amen I  am able to start my day on a positive  note.  God bless the  Dead.
Love your post, Silver. I truly believe that music was put here to make life bearable. I believe the same thing about animals, but that's a subject for a different thread. So glad that you get some relief from it! Love the Dead. Grew up on them and they will forever be part of my psyche. Many saw them as only a party/burn out band, but they were so much more.  "Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right". I think that you and I are seeing it right now. Rock on, my friend.   RM
RM - You are so right about music and animals. Both have seemingly magical mood changing abilities.
My son even played come on eileen as he intro'd the mother of the groom at his wedding. and then of course we danced to danny boy, and no matter what, i shall cry. I wanted come on eileen and it is well with my soul at my funeral. we did on the sunny side of the street for me father. then morning has broken. but some were shocked but those whom know we irish, know we live by music. laughter. love even if no irish parent i met before me said: i love u to their child. tis an irish problem they have. i do not.

but, i can release all my emotions via music. and, of course, one can dance. one releases good things in both mind and body.

its a glorious thing. music and the love of animals.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Charon- singing and dancing is so freeing and soothing. I love doing it when I'm alone because I can really let lose. I feel so much better after.
(03-20-2018, 11:13 PM)Charon Wrote: My son even played come on eileen as he intro'd the mother of the groom at his wedding.  and then of course we danced to danny boy, and no matter what, i shall cry.   I wanted come on eileen and it is well with my soul at my funeral.  we did on the sunny side of the street for me father.  then morning has broken.  but some were shocked but those whom know we irish, know we live by music.  laughter.  love even if no irish parent i met before me said:  i love u to their child.  tis an irish problem they have.  i do not.

but, i can release all my emotions via music.  and, of course, one can dance.  one releases good things in both mind and body.  

its a glorious thing.  music and the love of animals.

I can't tell you how much I love reading your posts, Charon. They are so full of insight, love and hope. I was just telling Fishfarmer that I have never known anyone quite like you before. I am sure that every member on here thinks the exact same thing. You are spilling over with a wonderful combination of intellect, humility and selflessness. It is not my intention to embarrass you, but you continue to be an inspiration to me at a time when I can use it the most.
Simply put, music is magic! I listen to many genres, though mostly classic rock, pop, country rock even a little Gangsters Paradise! There have been soo many times when I just retreat to my den and put in my ear buds and just listen for hours reminiscing. Turning the damn tv off and putting music on generally improves the mood of the entire household. At my ripe age of 59 I'm learning to play guitar. That will be truly magic Smile
(03-26-2018, 06:12 PM)MoJim Wrote: Simply put, music is magic! I listen to many genres, though mostly classic rock, pop, country rock even a little Gangsters Paradise! There have been soo many times when I just retreat to my den and put in my ear buds and just listen for hours reminiscing. Turning the damn tv off and putting music on generally improves the mood of the entire household. At my ripe age of 59 I'm learning to play guitar. That will be truly magic Smile

Great post, MJ. So well said. We are the same age, and I feel exactly the same way about music that you do and I have tried many times over the years to take another shot at the guitar. In 1984 I purchased a 1974 Strat from a good friend for $150. It has sat in storage since then, except for the many times I have made an attempt to learn how to play it. It's just me. I have zero talent in these fingers, but my heart is full of music. I wish you well and hope that you can make a go of it!  Regards, RM
For some reason, I prefer rousing orchestral music, often written and composed for a specific movie soundtrack. Something about hearing certain cords and notes cause me to relax, even if only slightly, and for a very short time, it somehow gets my mind out of my regular circular thinking and ruminating. Definitely my go-to for anxiety/winding down in the evening, I strongly prefer it to anxiety medication, which I tend not to use nearly as often as it is written/allowed. In fact I have an entire playlist of maybe 50 calming songs that I love, of various genres & personal meanings to me, so if I start to panic or feel out of control the first thing I do (physically speaking) is reach for the volume/remote/headphones & said playlist.