Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The effect of music on the human stress response
All music lovers already know that music mitigates stress, but it is always nice seeing detailed studies that confirm the therapeutic power of music. There have been several published over the years, but my favorite one is this one from 2013.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3734071/

Would anyone care to share how they use music as therapy? I will start. I love nearly every genre of music, but find that hard rock/metal is where I continually go for my therapy fix. Still working through anger/trust/disillusionment issues due to a nightmarish childhood. I find that the natural aggression found in metal music provides a perfect counterbalance for my own aggression. This music not only picks me up, but it keeps me level. It has literally changed my personality for the better.  There are those who believe that listening to aggressive music will make one more aggressive. I believe that this is rarely the case. It gives you a place to vent your frustrations and feel better. Is music the best therapist? What do you all think? 
Too many too mention but it is indeed Therapy! On the Metal side I love Ronnie James Dio and all the bands he was in! Love classic country like Haggard and Jones, Love Southern Rock like The Allman Brothers Band-#1-Skynard,MTB. Even like some POP stuff like Elton John and even Barry Manilow? It take a man and older usually to admit that one. Pearl Jam is the last real rock that I liked and still listen to. There are other bands and songs I love as well, obviously! Have to run and get my long hair cut for Christmas!-FF
When I am feeling down, I listen to hard rock/heavy metal, also. Some of the angriest and saddest songs make me feel better, especially if I sing along with lyrics. Nobody wants to picture that...Smile

It’s strange how that would help with depression, but for me it does. I don’t feel angry or aggressive, but maybe my anger has turned into depression. It helps me to vent my sadness, though.

Thanks for the article.
i was trained to never show feelings.

but i listen to music and i am able to feel the exact feelings i felt before. sadness may come but no anger so to me, it means i have forgiven people whom deliberately attempt to hurt another.

i do have a pep song or two. come on eileen, or buckcherry. But i trained for so many yrs to never let another see my
emotions but for my son, it is only when i am alone and put up a song or two.

Certain men, wanting to cure life with six moves, get so upset to see a woman cry. they want to fix it.

I like remembering and feeling the past as the adult i have become. So, sometimes let us cry or do gaelic dancing to come on eileen.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
(12-22-2017, 01:34 AM)Rafterman Wrote: All music lovers already know that music mitigates stress, but it is always nice seeing detailed studies that confirm the therapeutic power of music. There have been several published over the years, but my favorite one is this one from 2013.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3734071/

Would anyone care to share how they use music as therapy? I will start. I love nearly every genre of music, but find that hard rock/metal is where I continually go for my therapy fix. Still working through anger/trust/disillusionment issues due to a nightmarish childhood. I find that the natural aggression found in metal music provides a perfect counterbalance for my own aggression. This music not only picks me up, but it keeps me level. It has literally changed my personality for the better.  There are those who believe that listening to aggressive music will make one more aggressive. I believe that this is rarely the case. It gives you a place to vent your frustrations and feel better. Is music the best therapist? What do you all think? 

Hey Rafterman...

I would not be able to get through a day with this PTSD if I did not have my music to relax me. I have either Pandora streaming or listening to over 5000 songs I have downloaded shuffled of course.

When I get really stressed and feel a panic attack coming on the best therapy for me is to get into my car, crank up the music and drive without anyplace to go.

Literally I do not think I could survive without my music

Peace All and have a blessed day

Fury
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
Wow, Fury, what you say is so true in my case as well. Reading your words is like reading something that I could have written. I can so relate to driving with no place to go while cranking music to help relax me and fend off a PA. I absolutely could not survive without my music. I would take it over any medication or therapist. As with you, it's more than just a pick me up. It's my comforter and my companion. There are times when nothing else but music will do it for me. In fact, that is most of the time. It makes a lot of things possible that would not be possible without it. It is great to hear that it works the same way for you. Sometimes the best things in life really are free.  RM
(12-29-2017, 12:35 AM)Rafterman Wrote: Wow, Fury, what you say is so true in my case as well. Reading your words is like reading something that I could have written. I can so relate to driving with no place to go while cranking music to help relax me and fend off a PA. I absolutely could not survive without my music. I would take it over any medication or therapist. As with you, it's more than just a pick me up. It's my comforter and my companion. There are times when nothing else but music will do it for me. In fact, that is most of the time. It makes a lot of things possible that would not be possible without it. It is great to hear that it works the same way for you. Sometimes the best things in life really are free.  RM

Tracking with you 110% Rafterman. I wake up to music and go to sleep listening to it.

Everyone has to find what therapy works for them. I too would rather take a little drive out to the country with the music cranked up and maybe a little MJ and usually that calms me right down. Other days not quite so simple but you work on it.

Music by far is the first choice always before picking up that little blue pill...

Peace All

Fury
I'm thinking it, but the words are being generated by your fingertips! Absolutely couldn't agree with you more. Thank you, friend. RM
Hi RF and Fury, maybe I need more music in my life.  

Charon, the song you like -- learn something new everyday.

Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
The Perfect Song...

"All I Want To Do Is Have My Peace Of Mind"