Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FATHER DYING OF CANCER-LOST APPETITE?
Grew and smoked a ton when younger. "The Munchies" we called it back then as our appetite was incredible after smoking. Live in Nebraska and MJ is Illegal. Are there forms of MJ that a Doc can script that may increase appetite as I know Dad will not smoke MJ, Cancer in stomach, that may make a difference? Your thoughts appreciated-FF  Thanks
(12-11-2017, 12:51 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Grew and smoked a ton when younger. "The Munchies" we called it back then as our appetite was incredible after smoking. Live in Nebraska and MJ is Illegal. Are there forms of MJ that a Doc can script that may increase appetite as I know Dad will not smoke MJ, Cancer in stomach, that may make a difference? Your thoughts appreciated-FF  Thanks

Man, FF, I am so very sorry to hear about your Dad! That absolutely sucks. I lost an uncle to stomach cancer and I had a first row seat to the entire thing. Anorexia is fairly common is all cancer's and MJ helps mitigate it by it's effect on the endocannabinoid system through the cannabinoid receptor's that are found on surface cells. All this is still fairly new science. I believe that they only discovered the ECS system some 25 years ago. They divide into two parts, CB1 and CB2. Receptor's for these are found throughout the nervous system (some say in both the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system) and the brain. CB1 is for appetite regulation, euphoria, relaxation. CB2  regulates inflammation in the body, skin quality and immune system response. Your Dad would want to target CB1 cells and the way to do it is with a Indica-dominant strain. A doctor's script will cover that strain, as it would cover, say, Sativa-dominant strains and all strains. Your Dad might want to try it in ingestible oil form, or as an edible (after the appetite kicks back in), or maybe as a tincture. The fact that he has stomach cancer should not affect it's absorption (if the cancer is confined to the stomach), although it would really be great if you could get him to smoke it. Again, so very sorry to hear about this. My best.  Rafter
i am so sorry fish farmer. when me mother had cancer, as my family succumbs to cancer it would seem, i was her caregiver. we tried to use marinol, but the doctors would not script it. i don't think it worked well and she was weakening by then.

so God help me, i was friends with a cop where i lived. We got her the smokable type. But, then rethought it cuz the stupid doctor dx'd her with lung cancer. It was not. And, it could have potentially been treated.

But now? I would suggest an edible made from MMJ. Hopefully u have a friend in a legal state.

My houseshare told me a new pill form of MMJ was coming out. But I would not wait on that. And, i believe he stated that a pill form will not have the same effects as u desire.

I know cancer also. Edibles are usually small bits of food that have been made with MMJ. But, with stomach cancer? There is also an MMJ oil. It helps to alleviate nausea and pain and will increase appetite.

I don't have a source for you. But, I am sure someone in a legal state will read this. Whereas we cannot condone this as a forum, I do know it will help. Enormously.

Ask the doctor if the new MMJ pill came out.

But, my mother gave me hell for fifty years or more cuz one day i smoked a J. My grandmother learned in jury duty how to tell. swell.

But she was willing to try it.

Or, I would try begging legal states to mail an edible or oil to your home. California will not as far as I recall.

But whereas I don't have a source, I bet someone will.

God be with you both now, fish farmer. And, yes, people will freak that I posted this. But, as i said, I know cancer. It also helps with other illnesses. It needs to be made legal.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Thanks Charon! When he does finally go it will make me or break me. My Father is a man of strong Christian faith and has been an inspiration as he walks the walk!! I too am a man of Faith, but lag a bit behind Pa, but I do think that after the grieving, it will Make Me as I know he would want me to live on and be thankful for all our Blessings and the wonderful times we shared together as he is a Hunter-Fisherman like myself and I made many great memories with him!! This is so not politically correct that maybe some will shun me, But I do not believe I am here and am the man I am just because of a cosmic accident. I am so far West in Neb. that CO. is only an hour away, but I will make the suggestion to him to discuss with his oncologist as I think most states allow Doc's to script Mj or some form for terminally Ill cancer patients? Thank You both Charon and RM for good info that I can share with Pa. Bless you both! FF
fishfarmer, I am so sorry about your father. Your family will be in my prayers.  Heart

My brother-in-law had gastric cancer and was prescribed marinol.
Thanks for tip willie, just going to txt Dad, Nice timing, Thanks-FF
Sorry to hear about your dad, Fishfarmer.

I have a feeding tube due to severe digestive issues, and I've experimented with MMJ for these reasons. If your dad lives in Nebraska, the only (legal) option would be to get a prescription for Marinol, which is synthetic THC that comes in pill form. It is often prescribed for cancer patients to help with chemo nausea.
Hi fishfarmer.
I am sorry to read about your Dad.

If you get tired, learn to rest, not to quit.
Hi fishfarmer, I too am most sorry about your father.

Edible mmj does actually come in pill form now in the legal states.

But I would be wary of transporting across state lines.

DH was scripted marinol as well about 20 years ago when he was having radiation post cancer surgery. Was expensive. $60 a pill.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
Hey FishFarmer,

I am really sorry to hear about your father. I lost my mother several years ago to lung cancer. She would not try anything MJ related but my sister and I got her to try some edibles MJ and that helped more than ANY of the medications the doctors had her on and it did ease her suffering.

Prayers go out to you and your entire family...

Fury...
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"