Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them?
(01-13-2018, 02:22 AM)maldita Wrote: Rafterman, my fasciculations are definitely different and more of an annoyance unless my pain is really bad. It is a difficult situation to be in. My dad-in-law had ALS and I took care of him so I can understand the difficulty. More hugs from me.

Thanks again, Maldita. your father-in-law was really blessed to have someone like you to care for him. People usually run for the hills when they hear that someone has this disease. Even the strongest people can't handle it. It is hard enough to be a caregiver to anyone who has any major disease, but caring for an ALS patient brings special challenges. You must be a very strong woman, emotionally speaking, and quite selfless. Its hard enough for a wife to care for her husband, but a woman caring for an in-law in that situation is extraordinary. God bless you.   RM
Hey Rafterman,
Shoot I am sorry to hear your wife is struggling with both anxiety and annoying twitches. I know t is possible for twitches to be caused by anxiety so hopefully knowing that eases her worries. Has she possibly looked into something like gabapentin?  That can be used to help calm the nerves. Also, maybe look into some type of muscle relaxant to help like baclofen?  And definitely treating the anxiety isn’t importantly since that’s the underlying factor. Does she’s use anything to treat that?  Benzos of course are a go to in treating anxiety but if she wanted to look into something else or if benzodiazepines haven’t helped her, buspirone could work (also taking it everyday could help avoid anxiety rather than treating it as it happens). And as weird as this sounds, my psychiatrist prescribed me to take vyvanse each morning and it works wonders for me Smile

I hope she finds some relief!  Happy weekend!
(Oh and of course try some meditation, yoga, or perhaps a massage to relief some anxiety and stress Wink
(01-19-2018, 11:28 PM)maeve Wrote: Hey Rafterman,
Shoot I am sorry to hear your wife is struggling with both anxiety and annoying twitches. I know t is possible for twitches to be caused by anxiety so hopefully knowing that eases her worries. Has she possibly looked into something like gabapentin?  That can be used to help calm the nerves. Also, maybe look into some type of muscle relaxant to help like baclofen?  And definitely treating the anxiety isn’t importantly since that’s the underlying factor. Does she’s use anything to treat that?  Benzos of course are a go to in treating anxiety but if she wanted to look into something else or if benzodiazepines haven’t helped her, buspirone could work (also taking it everyday could help avoid anxiety rather than treating it as it happens). And as weird as this sounds, my psychiatrist prescribed me to take vyvanse each morning and it works wonders for me Smile

I hope she finds some relief!  Happy weekend!
(Oh and of course try some meditation, yoga, or perhaps a massage to relief some anxiety and stress Wink
Howdy, Maeve,  and thank you very much! I appreciate all of your suggestions. It is obvious that you put a lot of thought into it and you are right on target. You named several things that the doctor recommended for her. She has tried Gabapentin and also Baclofen. The Gabapentin seemed to help right off the bat and then petered out. She said that it also made her feel a little creepy. The Baclofen also seemed to help for a while and then, likewise, petered out. I totally agree that underlying anxiety is crucial to address in these situations. She is on a decent daily dose of benzo's as it is. I told her to talk to her psych about temporarily upping the dose as a test. Or maybe switching out one benzo for another. The thing is that she has learned to live with the actual twitches, but her mind won't let her stop worrying that she may have motor-neuron disease. The good thing is that a lot of time is going by. People with MND would have probably advanced to the next stage by now. She is still fine, minus the twitching. I doubt that she will ever get rid of them, but if another year or so would go by, I think her mind would be eased and that she would realize that she doesn't have MND. Thank you again for your help and concern. We really appreciate it.    RM
I just had a sleep study and the twitching is normal when going into sleep to some degree, Also noted increase when I do not take benzos,everyone gets those to some degree,I would not worry at all unless there are other symptoms or the twitching gets very serious,myne seems to occur in phases may be magnesium etc..I'll get them for a week or a few days,really just a bit annoying and hoping people don't notice.The likelihood is so remote 7t sometimes I over think stuff too..
(01-20-2018, 08:57 AM)Justice1 Wrote: I just had a sleep study and the twitching is normal when going into sleep to some degree, Also noted increase when I do not take benzos,everyone gets those to some degree,I would not worry at all unless there are other symptoms or the twitching gets very serious,myne seems to occur in phases may be magnesium etc..I'll get them for a week or a few days,really just a bit annoying and hoping people don't notice.The likelihood is so remote  7t sometimes I over think stuff too..

Howdy Justice,
Do you get them in both your upper and lower body? My wife was okay when she had them in just her calves because they are so common there. She began worrying more when the started appearing everywhere. I thought that maybe she was having a psychosomatic reaction to the fact that my MND started with fasciculation's. That would freak out anyone. I just wish that they could give her a diagnosis that rules that out. It takes so long for any kind of diagnosis of things of that nature. Anyhow, thank you!   RM
Your so right about it taking so very long..I find care is so fragmented.I have the twitches to various body parts,upper and lower,trunk and extremeties,and it's not anything bad so far..I think underlying cause can be so broad,,like electrolyte imbalance,hormones,some illnesses of course,and can just be normal.The odds are that its just normal body stuff but since she is so worried has she had any tests done to see what underlying thing it maybee.Ive found my diagnosis,and it sucks,,it's a systemic vein failure,,and also narcolepsy,,I'm a bit shocked and processing it all..preceded by 5 yrs of hypertension,I've had a gazillion tests and nothing is happening that could be causing unusual twitches..