Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Suicidal Ideation and Social Withdrawl
Hello all,
For any of you dealing with depression or other mood disorders, or really anyone else, how do you properly cope with serious suicidal thoughts? I've had a very rocky time mentally for a while now and some days just are really, really low. I have suicidal thoughts most days and they really start to become the strongest points of thought in my mind. I unfortunately have totally lost the emotional idea that it will hurt those who are close to me here, the main thing holding me back is the belief that suicide is punishable in some afterlife. What are some good reminders to try and keep in mind when feeling this way? Maybe what is a good activity to force yourself to do? My attention span has been severely damaged in recent years so please something easy, not reading which is very difficult. 
Also, I have become increasingly socially withdrawn in the past year and currently have no irl friends besides my immediate family (whom I am grateful for, when more sober). Is social withdrawal and reclusiveness acceptable ever (time for yourself) or should it be something to avoid, something to overpower? I know there are many questions here but even just one being answered would be more than I could ask for. Thanks.
I'm very sorry to hear that you suffer from suicidal thoughts. Do you believe that this is a side affect of meds you may be taking for the depression? If so have you tried other meds that may not cause the same affect? Is it the meds that are causing you to be reclusive or the depression? Have you talked to a psychologist about any of this or are you uncomfortable? I'll stop so as not to drag on but I wish you all the best.
Hi greaseman !

Make it a habit to stop by the Good Morning Thread everyday and say hello.

Some of us do , I do almost every day.
Well thanks for your post as time goes on I am sure more including me will add to it.

Don't do what the most downtrodden thoughts seem to be the answer to you.

Keep talking on here for one thing, because there are so many good folk that will be a friend to you.

Ok so I did not say read anything now did I?
Lol
See ya on the Good Morning Thread, K?
Hello everybody. Thank you for taking the time to offer some advice and support.

oneanddone: I have appreciated seeing you around, and I feel somewhat of a bond as we joined the forum around the same time. This is not a side effect of any medicine, these thoughts have been persistent for a long time now, nothing new, it's the reason I'm taking medicine. Was just recently prescribed zoloft and propranaol because I was NOT a fan of the gabapentin (did nothing for my anxiety unless ~900 mg or more was ingested, then I would just nod off. I have talked 2 different psychiatrists and a number of different therapists, and yes suicidal ideation has been a big subject during our treatment sessions. Unfortunately mental health care in the US is somewhat Kafka-esque, almost like a frustrating non-linear dream and results take a LONG time to manifest.

Linville: Although I am new here it is always a pleasure to stop by Cafe Linville and browse, as it is to see your various posts. I will definitely check out the Good Morning thread and stop in once in a while. I know that there are good people here, and that the negative thoughts shouldn't be answered to, but as always it is rather invasive and forceful. Haha, thank you for not mentioning reading!

fishfarmer: Thank you for the warmth and kindness. I am sorry to hear that you too live mentally in a dark place. I hope that as time goes on we can offer more support to one another. I have taken the DNA tests, thank you so much for mentioning them, it could help many confused, isolated people. Happy to hear that the weather and environment are treating you well, Nebraska seems like a beautiful place. When living with these sort of low moods it is very difficult, no impossible to appreciate your surroundings, no matter how magnificent they may be. A paradise can look like hell depending on what lenses, or mindset, that you have put on for that day. In answer to your question pertaining to the 8 year old... I don't have one. I can't possibly even begin to imagine what that experience would be like. I don't know what she would think, if she would even think anything at all of it. Although I appreciate the new frame of perspective. I love your suggestion for volunteering at a hospital, Charon suggested that service to others lifts spirits and it is something that I need to implement into my life. The last two sentences are beautiful, thank you.
Keep talking, or typing rather Smile I will continue to read. Sorry that you are not getting anything out of the therapy but it sounds as if your talking to others that are not virtual. Your life is exclusive! LIVE IT!
Hello BlackSocks. Yes I would agree that it is definitely a symptom of underlying things. I'm not a true supporter of chemical imbalance, I think that there are reasons for why things happen. My sleep is ok. NO WHERE NEAR insomnia but I do wake up either in the night or very early in the morning and can't fall back asleep, few episodes of "sleep drunkenness," and major trouble falling asleep most nights. Fortunately I have medicine for it and I also take melatonin.
(02-14-2018, 09:45 PM)thegreaseman Wrote: Hello all,
For any of you dealing with depression or other mood disorders, or really anyone else, how do you properly cope with serious suicidal thoughts? I've had a very rocky time mentally for a while now and some days just are really, really low. I have suicidal thoughts most days and they really start to become the strongest points of thought in my mind. I unfortunately have totally lost the emotional idea that it will hurt those who are close to me here, the main thing holding me back is the belief that suicide is punishable in some afterlife. What are some good reminders to try and keep in mind when feeling this way? Maybe what is a good activity to force yourself to do? My attention span has been severely damaged in recent years so please something easy, not reading which is very difficult. 
Also, I have become increasingly socially withdrawn in the past year and currently have no irl friends besides my immediate family (whom I am grateful for, when more sober). Is social withdrawal and reclusiveness acceptable ever (time for yourself) or should it be something to avoid, something to overpower? I know there are many questions here but even just one being answered would be more than I could ask for. Thanks.
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering like this, G. I left you a PM regarding this matter. Please check it out when you have a chance. Thanks