Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benzo's as appetite stimulant's
(12-01-2017, 11:50 AM)OldBoy Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 02:26 AM)Rafterman Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 11:13 PM)OldBoy Wrote: I've often wondered why I seem to have a much more normal appetite when being treated with benz@s...I'm the sort who skips breakfast in favor of an extra twenty minutes sleep, forgets to eat lunch because there is always something more important to do / worry about than fixing a sandwich, and now that I live alone, for the most part have soup, a canned vegetable, and perhaps a sandwich for dinner.

That's when I'm untreated, or miss a dose of medication.  When I'm being actively treated with a benz@ anti-anxiolytic, I eat a normal breakfast, pack a lunch to take with me, and cook something reasonably appetizing for dinner, I'll even snack on popcorn or pecans in the evenings.

I've always surmised that the calming effect of the medication makes one worry less about over-eating, or simply produces a normal appetite by virtue of relieving the stress and anxiety that cause loss of appetite, but I could be absolutely wrong on that count, I've done no research and read no studies to support my conclusion.
Hey OldBoy,
The benzo's increase appetite through a complex process that makes food and drink seem more palatable to the brain. I imagine that there is the secondary effect of reduced anxiety helping the appetite along a little further. Here's an PubMed piece that explains how they work in animals. With the science in place behind it, you would think that benzo's would be approved as an appetite stimulant, but the FDA thinks that the risk/reward ratio is upside down. How wrong they are. They do not take anorexia seriously enough. It is a killer. In any event, here is the piece.  Take care.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7770192/

Excellent, Rafterman.  The article's abstract neatly destroys my own theory, and the text (fortunately, I still have access to ScienceDirect via my former employer, if only for six more months) is a great read.  Berridge and Peciña demonstrate pretty conclusively that perceived palatability of food and fluids is enhanced by benz@ agonists, and that the anti-anxiolytic effect of the medications is a (remotely) possible, but only secondary, if at all extant influence on appetite.

Really appreciate the link my friend, much better reading over breakfast than the newspaper Smile

Lol, my pleasure, OB. My best to you.  RM