Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENADRYL(DIPHENHYDRAMINE) WORK'S GREAT FOR ME AS SLEEP AID, BUT?
I ONLY TAKE THE REGULAR 25MG AND IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! THEY SAY IT IS NOT HABIT-FORMING, BUT IF I DON"T TAKE IT I CANNOT SLEEP. IS IT A PROBLEM TOO TAKEIT EVERY NIGHT? I TAKE A MED FOR MY TRYGLICERIDES THAT CAN CAUSE LIVER ISSUES, AND BENADRYL ACCORDING TOO WEB SHOULD NOT AFFECT LIVER. DOC TOLD ME TO TRY AN ALL NATURAL MED, FORGET THE NAME, IT DID NOT WORK. ANY OVER THE COUNTER SLEEP AIDS I SHOULD TRY INSTEAD OR AM I OK JUST CONTINUING USING   BENADRYL, NO TOLERANCE TO IT AS I HAVE NEVER NEEDED THE EXTRA STRENGTH 50MG, ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS FF
Antihistamines like Benadryl are safer than GABAergics like benzos because they aren't addictive. (They won't cause withdrawal when stopped.) However, that doesn't necessarily mean they're completely safe. There's been some recent research showing that anticholinergic drugs (which includes antihistamines) might increase the risk of dementia.

But sleeping is better than not sleeping. If you want some other ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotic#Others
I notice that benadryl makes me very dry (dry eyes, dry skin, dry mouth...) if I take it multiple nights in a row. This can't be great for your body. It does help me sleep longer though.
Thanks for the advice my Friends. Now and then so tired I have not taken one. Even if I am dead tired physically which is a lot, my mind races though my body needs rest? Dementia, not a laughing matter, but I am half-way there as I scrambled my mind for a decade in my late teens to late twenties on LSD,Shrooms,MJ and other things. I say that in Jest as I am doing fine but I could not get by without a notepad too remind me what I must do today. 52 years old and hope to walk this good earth for another 20! Best to You All-FF
It is possible that on the nights you don't take it, you get a rebound effect. This isn't the same as being addicted (as with benzos), but can suggest you've grown used to having diphenhydramine to sleep.

BTW The link to dementia is very speculative. The problem is that if you take one group of people using diphenhydramine (or similar) and a group using nothing, the first group will tend to include more people with other medical issues (some serious, some not). There are several competing theories about the causes of dementia, and this only fits into one of them. At best the study shows a correlation, but not causation. There may be something in it, but lack of sleep is also associated with dementia, so I don't think this is something to panic about. The causes of dementia really aren't known, all we have are a few statistical risk factors.

MsFussbudget, the dryness you mention is the anticholinergic effect. With dry mouth, just make sure you take care of your oral hygiene for the sake of your teeth. Lots of medicines cause it. It you get a chance mention it to your dentist next time you have a checkup, but it isn't an emergency.
I have recently read an article that benedryl, (dephyhydramine) with chronic use can lead to dimensions in old age, I used to take it ever night for years, so did the. Rest of my family, something you may want to look into though, but you never know what is nit real and fake news anyore anyway.
do a g00gle search on: what can long term benadryl usage do.

I had heard it messes with one's kidneys. Have not read one full article yet today. But, now, yes, it is linked with dementia. And, it is suggested that one should not go cold turkey off benedryl now either. I never had that problem.

I do have allergies. So, i take one benadryl at nite so i can awaken breathing fine.

And, it helps me sleep.

But, for every medical article that comes out stating benadryl is bad for you, twelve more will come out saying its a wonder drug, oh say for wrinkle prevention. They make some of this up. I am sure of it.

Biotene spray and mouthwash and products give back moisture to one's mouth. I know it helps with lupus but I am fairly certain I knew of many it helped.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Thanks Again folk's, Am Happy at the New Farm and your info has been helpful! Have cut way back on the Benzo's,Cigarettes, and Beer and see a bright future ahead,and feeling better than ever!! Bless YOU ALL!- FFD barg, you make a very solid argument that I am not addicted, Thanks!
That's all good new FF. Both my DH and DD take antihistamines every morning for allergies. Sometimes if DD is having a wicked bad allergy attack I give her benedryl at night too. Rare but happens.

Personally of all the stuff that we chose to take to help ourselves function, I would say benedryl would not be one to worry about.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
Interesting fact about Benadryl is it was the first drug that was found to have anti-depressant properties in studies. They switched the benadryl formula around in order to make the first Anti-depressant, Prozac. That's why sometimes one may feel a little happy kick when waking up in the morning after taking it. I definitely try not to take it more than three times a week as a silly paranoiac because of the kidney warning but overall, I think it's healthy as long as one does not over-do it.