Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kevin Spacey
Kevin Spacey apologises after being accused of sexual advance on 14-year-old actor

Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp claimed he was left traumatised after Spacey lay on top of him during evening at actor’s apartment 31 years ago

Link here:
hxxtps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/30/kevin-spacey-anthony-rapp-apologises-accused-sexual-advance-14-year-old-boy

I've known Spacey was gay since 2003. I also knew he liked young men (emphasis on men rather than boys). There will probably be more stories and a photograph of Spacey doing something inappropriate that could emerge. Assuming this empowers more victims to come forward, there is a movie director who is probably especially worried just now.

Drunk or not, you don't make sexual advances to 14 year olds. It is very simple! Anthony Rapp is brave for speaking out. As a fellow victim I really sympathize. My abuser was also in the media, but not someone I'm confronted with on a regular basis as he is now retired. For Rapp his abuser went on to become very successful so Rapp was faced with him, or the threat of having to work with him, ever since.

In his statement Spacey doesn't deny it and sort of apologizes, but then switches topics and makes it about him coming out as a gay man. Some mainstream media went with that as the headline. But the issue isn't that Spacey is gay, the problem is he tried it on with a 14 year old kid. It is a bit like Weinstein getting help for sex addiction - that's a distraction technique.

What worries me is that in the world of twitter, people are already doing the gay = paedophile thing. There have been many studies of sexual behaviour (most famously Kinsey). Research shows gay men are no more likely to be paedophiles than straight men.

If there is anything positive about this, it is that the focus has widened and shown that boys/men can be subjected to sexual assault - i.e. it isn't just an issue for women.
i am sorry u were a victim, barq. it can carry a heavy weight.

lived in the Catholic area. We all attended the schools. There was much abuse of children. The boys were not exempt. The damn gym teacher was abusing all the boys. A few confided that to me. And, i got the nuns to let me do a cheerleading team so no boy had to be alone with Ted Gaynor again. At practices, home games and away.

Predators go after many innocents. Of course it has nothing to do with being gay. This story was presented this morning in a synopsis of the Wash Post by making it sound like he made inappropriate advances now. but to prove that was untrue, he is gay. It was strangely worded.

What u say makes far more sense.

The predator is all about fulfilling his pleasure. It does not matter to him or her whom they choose as prey. Its often a crime of opportunity. They could care less what damages they leave in their wake.

At least some of the bad acts of celebs are starting to come out now. They are certainly not perfect and it takes a strong person to face speaking out. One cannot unless a bunch of others have already come forward cuz courts demoralize the victim. Tear them apart.

Thank u for the insight, but I am saddened it has touched your life.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

His statment is wrong on so many levels. I mean when asked about a CHILD he linked it to being Homosexual. I find the statement he made to be so suspect like he is trying to divert it to him " coming out" as gay.

I think these abuse claims are the tip of the iceburg.
it makes me sick when people give roman polanski a freaking standing ovation. for those that dont know he raped and sodomised a 12 year girl who was crying for her mother, why is he even allowed to make hollywood films and get rewarded both financially and socially. it is messed up.

The pics of harvey weinstein makes me shudder, he looks like a disgusting perverted arrogant pig. I hope he convicted in a state that has severe punishments for sex crimes a decade or two on death row would be an appropriate sentence.
Thank you for sharing barq
roman polanski is another one. woody allen. didn't morgan freeman rumors to marry his step granddaughter about two yrs back?

i guess the men go after a wife's teen child because young child can be bendable. molded. Wives cannot always. Nor can adult men.

OT: When I have discussed this issue with men whom seem to be reasonable, they all say how cool it would be to have their teacher have relations with them at a very young age. I don't know if these men are joking or are not aware of the damage that can happen to the child. Why rob him or her of their childhood? But, many have said to me they wish they had Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau scenario in their lives. She was 34 and he was 12. A 12 yr old boy. SPLIT: Teacher who spent seven years in prison for sleeping with her student, 12, and having his two children is single as pair separate after 20 years. Surely, not all men think this is cool. At least none whom studied psychiatry. And many a youth feels that He or she was "made gay" by being molested as a child. The women grow up to feel they are never good enough for any man. They take abuse quite often. I don't understand people whom foolishly state they wish their teacher had been hot for them. Gah.

Vili Fualaau filed for legal separation from Mary Kay Letourneau earlier this month

Letourneau was 34-years-old and a married mother of four young children when she began having a relationship with Fualaau, who was 12 and her student
She got pregnant with their first daughter Audrey when Fualaau was just 13, and gave birth shortly before pleading guilty to second-degree child rape
Her six-month sentence was eventually commuted to just three months, under the condition that she not have contact with Fualaau.

Ok, this was and is horrifying to me. That some think its cool if a woman makes the moves on an infant minor. About four years ago, right before i moved to this home, i read of six adult women having charges brought against them for making moves on neighbors young teenage kid. I did not follow all the cases.

The adults are deemed to know better.

Ok, not to libel morgan freeman, so i checked. it was his step grand daughter. He claims they stopped short of actual sex. But, the alleged affair broke up his marriage according to 2012 news reports. The step grand daughter was then found slain. We cannot ask her.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Thanks for all your thoughtful and insightful replies.

As a victim, yes it has affected my life and relationships (trust issues). It was someone at the BBC, not famous but quite influential. I wanted to work in film/TV so he used that to groom me. Anyway, I try to move on. What he did was very wrong, but I no longer hate him. I found moving on past anger to be a healing process for me. In other ways my life has turned out ok, e.g. in terms of profession and friendships. It is just the relationships bit that needs more more healing/therapy. But abuse comes in many shapes and forms, so other people will have different experiences.

Back to Kevin Spacey... I 100% agree with everyone about how wrong it is for him to use coming out as a way to deflect the allegation. And yes, the LGBT community (of which I'm one) is furious with him. We've spent years trying to show the world that we are normal people, love is love, we have standards of decency, and aren't the weird perverts that used to be the stereotype in the past. It fees like Kevin Spacey has damaged a whole community to save himself, which is shameful. I'm glad most of Twitter saw straight (bad choice of word!) through his ruse.

I think all of this is about power. Men (it is mostly men) find that in certain positions, certain professions that are hard to get into, have a lot of leverage. I have a friend in NYC who is a male model. Early in his career he had several experiences e.g. a major photographer who would only work with him if they went back to his hotel room for a meal (I'm sure you can see where that leads). Another photographer doing an underwear shot wanted him to get an erection and show it poking out the top of his underwear. This was a product shoot for a mainstream advert, so the extra shots wouldn't be used in the advert, so it was obvious the photos were for that photographer's "personal collection". These two examples are big name photographers. A new model has to build a portfolio of work. Sometimes they are unpaid because they need to be seen to have shot with these famous models. See the power difference? That's how it works.

BTW, sorry for any typos etc, I'm on very strong painkillers following a small medical procedure. They kill the pain, but also my brain :-)
Sorry to hear all that barq, nobody should have to experience these things, just horrible some people.
A friends son used to work at spaceys theatre in London, i thought he had come out years ago, from what i heard from my friends son i would have thought he was out the way he behaved around some of the other young guys at the theatre.
(11-02-2017, 12:30 PM)G.Elias Wrote: Sorry to hear all that barq, nobody should have to experience these things, just horrible some people.
A friends son used to work at spaceys theatre in London, i thought he had come out years ago, from what i heard from my friends son i would have thought he was out the way he behaved around some of the other young guys at the theatre.

Kevin Spacey's sexuality was the worst kept secret in Hollywood. Everyone he worked with knew. He was certainly open about it in London. I could name a lot of other gay actors/directors, but I don't believe in outing people unless they are being hypocrites.

With Spacey, people knew he liked younger men (as in, under 30). I think this recent allegation about a 14 year old genuinely surprised  those who know Spacey. He kept that well hidden.

Can I just add, in terms of my own abuse, yes it did affect me, but I am ok. In a way, if that hadn't have happened I'd be a different person now, and actually things have mostly turned out pretty good. That doesn't excuse what my abuser did, but I think it is a lot more traumatic for some people than others.
Glad you are ok in yourself barq, I have met quite a lot of people who have undergone bad experiences, far too may infact, some have learnt to live with it others haven't been able to come to some kind of terms with it yet which is pretty crap for them at present.

I thought Spaceys sexuality was probably not a secret among the Hollywood/acting community, from what I got told I would have thought that would be highly unlikely.

He actually ruins Call of Duty advanced Warfare btw he gets far too many cut away scenes that go on forever. Ruins it !