Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAD - Seasonal affective disorder - A place to share ideas and tips to get thru it...
Man, Izzy...yet another post that I could have written myself. Pretty much word for word. I am really sorry to hear what your brother is going through. Try to keep optimistic that he will be helped, hopefully as soon as possible. I don't have a brother who shares his problem, but my best friend did for many years. His turned out to more psychological, than physiological, in nature. Deep, unresolved anger and issues. 2 month's of cognitive therapy did more for him than 4 years of going from med to med. His was the exception, though, and certainly not the rule. I have dealt with the most stubborn cases that you could believe. One man was so bad, that they finally ended up using the anesthetic Propofol. Even Midazolam wouldn't put him out. Izzy, are you in the UK? Did the meds they tried on your brother include anesthetic's? They are often seen as the last thing to try because a person under their influence should really be observed for the full time they are under (think Michael Jackson and his incompetent doc). But they will put someone out. For instance, if your brother needed an operation, I am assuming that they can put him under. I am assuming that he responds to anesthetic's. Of course, it's not like real sleep. A person under anesthesia typically doesn't cycle through the normal REM and non-REM stages. It's actually like an induced mini-coma. But if a body is absolutely breaking down because of the prolonged inability to sleep, anesthesia can be used. Anything more that you care to tell about his, or your, situation, I am hear to listen.
Hi Rafterman, sorry I had not seen this thread for some time and hadn't seen your post but thanks for your comments!

I'm definietly starting to get over the worst of it and am really starting to feel much more positive about everything...I guess my body has just gotten more acclimatized or something - Eitherway I am definatley feeling better(Even a little "festive" today!)

So, just wanna say thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback...sometimes I guess all you need is a little reassurance - and it really did help!

Soon enough it'll be Springtime once again!!

Cool
Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path...
And leave a trail... of Love, Laughter and Understanding.
(12-06-2017, 10:07 PM)Izzy76 Wrote: Hi Rafterman, sorry I had not seen this thread for some time and hadn't seen your post but thanks for your comments!

I'm definietly starting to get over the worst of it and am really starting to feel much more positive about everything...I guess my body has just gotten more acclimatized or something - Eitherway I am definatley feeling better(Even a little "festive" today!)

So, just wanna say thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback...sometimes I guess all you need is a little reassurance - and it really did help!

Soon enough it'll be Springtime once again!!

Cool
Very glad to hear it, Izzy. Thank you for leaving this update.  RM
THIS is a great thread, finally I can see others, like me, suffering from SAD. I have it severely and boy does it hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as the clocks change back. First the cold hits, the first snow hits and it's dark on the drive into work and back home. Put me to bed and let me hibernate til about April please... ha.
It's so odd, I can feel it overcome me physically-  like this blanket of dread and despair on top of my regular depression. Fun times Undecided .
But like others here have said, I try going to the tanning salon and that does help some. Drink lots of milk, try to keep my thoughts from going to the 'dark side' and most importantly for me... My pets. THEY have saved me mentally more than any meds have ever. I have no children, no friends really or much family (except a sis out of state) but my pets are my life. I find extreme joy in them even at my lowest. So I'm grateful for them and cling to them desperately this time of year!  Also I used to live in Florida almost my entire life and then made a sudden move to the Midwest. Talk about SHOCK !
The weather difference about floored me and I'm still not used to it. Wish I could go back but.... Undecided
(12-07-2017, 01:43 PM)Mikka Wrote: THIS is a great thread, finally I can see others, like me, suffering from SAD. I have it severely and boy does it hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as the clocks change back. First the cold hits, the first snow hits and it's dark on the drive into work and back home. Put me to bed and let me hibernate til about April please... ha.
It's so odd, I can feel it overcome me physically-  like this blanket of dread and despair on top of my regular depression. Fun times Undecided .
But like others here have said, I try going to the tanning salon and that does help some. Drink lots of milk, try to keep my thoughts from going to the 'dark side' and most importantly for me... My pets. THEY have saved me mentally more than any meds have ever. I have no children, no friends really or much family (except a sis out of state) but my pets are my life. I find extreme joy in them even at my lowest. So I'm grateful for them and cling to them desperately this time of year!  Also I used to live in Florida almost my entire life and then made a sudden move to the Midwest. Talk about SHOCK !
The weather difference about floored me and I'm still not used to it. Wish I could go back but.... Undecided
Mikka!
I have dreamed of living in Florida for my entire life, primarily to escape some of my SAD symptom's. It's too bad that you had to leave there. I lived for almost 50 years in Brooklyn and Northern NJ before moving south to escape the snow. It helps a bit, but I still have that feeling that I am being stalked by the Winter, if you know what I mean. I start to think about it in the Summer! It gets a little cold where I am, but we only average 3 inches of snow per year. Contrast that to a few years when we had 80 inches in Jersey. BTW, I love your cat icon. I he/she yours? I am also an animal fanatic.I couldn't live one more minute if animal's did not exist in this world. I have been looking for a good picture of my Chihuahua-mix, Cooper, to use as my icon. He is the love of my life. My feelings about animals has served to alienate me from some folks over the course of my life. Always nice to meet someone who feels the same way. I am really glad that you joined the group.   RM
(12-08-2017, 02:57 AM)Rafterman Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 01:43 PM)Mikka Wrote: THIS is a great thread, finally I can see others, like me, suffering from SAD. I have it severely and boy does it hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as the clocks change back. First the cold hits, the first snow hits and it's dark on the drive into work and back home. Put me to bed and let me hibernate til about April please... ha.
Mikka!
I have dreamed of living in Florida for my entire life, primarily to escape some of my SAD symptom's. It's too bad that you had to leave there. I lived for almost 50 years in Brooklyn and Northern NJ before moving south to escape the snow. It helps a bit, but I still have that feeling that I am being stalked by the Winter, if you know what I mean. I start to think about it in the Summer! It gets a little cold where I am, but we only average 3 inches of snow per year. Contrast that to a few years when we had 80 inches in Jersey. BTW, I love your cat icon. I he/she yours? I am also an animal fanatic.I couldn't live one more minute if animal's did not exist in this world. I have been looking for a good picture of my Chihuahua-mix, Cooper, to use as my icon. He is the love of my life. My feelings about animals has served to alienate me from some folks over the course of my life. Always nice to meet someone who feels the same way. I am really glad that you joined the group.   RM

Hey there Rafterman..
So,I see you understand my pain of the winter & snow!! It's the worst, huh?
The term you stated as "stalked" by the winter. THAT is a great expression ! 
  And my kitten avatar, that is actually Mikka! It's only right to use her photo if
I'm going to use her name here   Blush
And I'm like you, my animals are my life! I would be in a verrrry bad place if I didn't have them.
They are a blessing. And aren't they sooooo much better than some of the people you know? 
Ha. The more I talk to people in real life (like at work), the more I like my cat!  Big Grin
I'd love to see a pic of your Cooper boy. 
Maybe we should start a Show your Pet thread....
That would be fun but not sure if that's allowed.
Love me some critters!
And thank you for the kind words. Ditto, nice to meet you, as well.
Mikka ~
Hi Mikka,
I believe there is a thread about pet stories, pics, etc. I'll take a look, and maybe someone has run across it recently?
(12-13-2017, 01:25 PM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Hi Mikka,
I believe there is a thread about pet stories, pics, etc.  I'll take a look, and maybe someone has run across it recently?

Hi there !
Oh, that would be great if you or someone could find it, thank you!  I'm still trying to find my way around..

Mikka~  Wink
For me, the light boxes do seem to work. I'm not even sure why, I put a lot of stock in the power of placebo. If you think something may work, sometimes it just clicks something off in your brain. I brought mine almost a decade ago and it still works just as good.

Sometimes the first month is the hardest. Mentally, we'll soon be at the point where the days start getting longer. At least that's what I try to fake my brain into thinking Smile
(12-31-2017, 04:57 AM)coffeedude22 Wrote: For me, the light boxes do seem to work.  I'm not even sure why, I put a lot of stock in the power of placebo.  If you think something may work, sometimes it just clicks something off in your brain.  I brought mine almost a decade ago and it still works just as good.

Sometimes the first month is the hardest.  Mentally, we'll soon be at the point where the days start getting longer.  At least that's what I try to fake my brain into thinking Smile
Dude, great point about the placebo effect, IMO. Nothing stronger than a persons own mind when it really believes something. I do the same thing with repeating to myself that the longer days are coming. I also hit my mind with as many hard facts as I can on the subject. I have a poster of 'sunrise/sunset times" on my wall. I replace it every year with the latest one. Even though the days are growing every so slowly longer right now (about 1 minute per day), I am psyched over that fact. It gives my mind the impression that we are heading toward the light at the end of the tunnel. Regards, RM