Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's new executive order to combate opiate epidemic
Today(10/25/2017), President Trump signed a new executive order to combate the opiate epidemic. The signed order is designed to accomplish these four goals:
  • Identify existing federal dollars to combat drug addiction, including opioids;
  • Assess availability and access to addiction treatment centers and overdose reversal and identify underserved areas;
  • Measure the effectiveness of state prescription drug monitoring programs;
  • Evaluate public messaging campaigns about prescription and illegal opioids, and identify best practices for drug prevention.
There is a place for bashing Trump himself in another area; they have never been more serious.  I like number #2.  #3 means big trouble for us as this could end up as a national database which will squeeze doctors even more.  And of course, #4, bringing more media and attention is gonna hurt or help?  Curious what others think.
Happy are those who dream dreams
and are ready to pay the price
to make them come true

L.J. Cardinal Suenens

It could have been much worse
They already have as far as I know national data base for sudafed
The me th making ingredient that does wonders for stuffy nose

They just need to invest money into some way to control paIn that doesn’t have the bad side effects

Before taking away what they do have is what I think

Well just thinking out loud about a solution not as you say bashing

Things they are a changing either way it seems sliding fir sevral years now

-I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

I just really really really (should I add one more really) that all efforts, orders, plans, related to minimizing opiate misuse, addiction, etc... would add a sentence or two about how responsible use saves one's life - by giving them quality of life.

I think there are many more of us chronic pain patients out there who are responsible users but are simply afraid to speak up.

I know I am afraid to speak up on the part of chronic pain patients.

I believe to do so would be 'suicide' in that oneself would be labeled, and one's doctor investigated.

I don't think executive orders carry much weight anyway. But I could be wrong.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
Well, I messed up. That's the order from last March. :S I just saw though where something big was happening today. Maybe the final report that was due is being announced:

In 90 days, the commission will submit an interim report to Trump with its findings. It will submit a final report by Oct. 1, unless more time is needed, according to the executive order. The commission will dissolve a month later.

On the campaign trail, Trump promised to tackle the nation’s opioid crisis. But in February, the New York Times reported the Trump Administration planned to eliminate the White House Office for National Drug Control Policy, a three-decades-old office that President Ronald Reagan and Congress created to orchestrate the country’s drug policy and strategies. The report concerned public health officials who worried about lost resources in the middle of nationwide opioid epidemic.

The executive order signed Wednesday by Trump asks that office to help the commission carry out some of its tasks. It does not make mention of what will happen to the “drug czar,” a leadership position created by President Ronald Reagan. President Barack Obama’s most recent appointee, Michael Botticelli, promoted expanded access to naloxone and other kinds of treatment, and shepherded a prescription drug monitoring program that is active in all states except Missouri. He also made headlines for being the first person in the position to be openly recovering from addiction.
Happy are those who dream dreams
and are ready to pay the price
to make them come true

L.J. Cardinal Suenens

Just wondering how other nations deal with chronic pain?

Is the whole world like this ?

Holding back proper meds

-I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

When your a "Newbie" like me, you struggle sometimes to come up with good things to talk about. It sure would be interesting Linville to know how other places in the world deal with CP. Why there was not a single word in the EO goals that said something like, "...while protecting our citizens who are truly in need...". Just don't get the absolute non-concern for others sometimes.
No extra funding for this which means "lip service" usually. (I always look at the money situation when it comes to any government action.)

Don't expect much to change, at least in the short term.
(10-30-2017, 06:23 PM)ghostofjack Wrote: No extra funding for this which means "lip service" usually. (I always look at the money situation when it comes to any government action.)

This whole mess really sucks for those of us that have a legit medical need for these meds. Why are we being punished along with the abusers? Actually, I think we are being punished more. We have to have these meds to be able to function and have SOME quality of life. The abusers don't really need it for anything more than a buzz.

So what I don't get about this big crackdown is, What good is it to be a law abidin' citizen followin' the rules and doin' what we're suppose to do, if we're gonna be punished like the abusers? What sense does this make? They are destroyin' our lives for things we didn't do. Angry Angry Angry

Does ANYONE in government have an ounce of sense? Doesn't seem like it.

Cricket
(10-31-2017, 02:40 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 06:23 PM)ghostofjack Wrote: No extra funding for this which means "lip service" usually. (I always look at the money situation when it comes to any government action.)

This whole mess really sucks for those of us that have a legit medical need for these meds. Why are we being punished along with the abusers? Actually, I think we are being punished more. We have to have these meds to be able to function and have SOME quality of life. The abusers don't really need it for anything more than a buzz.

So what I don't get about this big crackdown is, What good is it to be a law abidin' citizen followin' the rules and doin' what we're suppose to do, if we're gonna be punished like the abusers? What sense does this make? They are destroyin' our lives for things we didn't do.  Angry   Angry   Angry

Does ANYONE in government have an ounce of sense? Doesn't seem like it.

Cricket

I hear ya and don't think it is going to get any better in the near future. Unfortunately the media is harping about the opioid epidemic and the # of overdoses is trending upwards at an alarming rate. Political actions often follow what is being portrayed in the media so I think that will be the tail wagging the dog right now.

Not a pain patient myself but I remember taking my aunt to a pain clinic a couple of years ago when she had end stage pancreatic cancer. She was dying and the pain management was just to help her be more comfortable in her last days. The pain clinic looked nice but it reminded me of a methadone clinic in the way they treated people. She had to take urine tests to check for other drugs just to be prescribed the pain meds. One of the visits was a surprise morning call where she had to bring her remaining meds into the clinic the same day so they could be counted. If she didn't comply, they would not continue prescribing. WTF? I was totally appalled at how she was being treated. Reminded me of a medical ghetto, not compassionate medical treatment for someone with a few months left to live. Makes me queasy thinking about how she was treated.
This mess is not gonna make life bearable for pain management people.My wife  is already  put in a bind to get some little relief.
Disabled Veteran.Heavily medicated for your safety Blush