Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SORRY TO SEE SO MUCH INTEREST IN ALPS?
fishfarmer:

For me its damned if you do - or damned if you don't. Benzos work for me and, even though I maintained disciplined dosing of my first choice med., it no longer provides me with an adequate level of relief for my GAD and I don't want to increase my dosage in order to compensate for what was obviously a building tolerance.  

As a result, I moved on to Alps. I have found them to be very therapeutic at a low dosage, but it still requires a significant level of self-discipline to keep yourself in check at that low dosage. I slipped-up earlier this year when my Father died. On the day of his funeral I took a double dose in an attempt to ease my anxiety and grief. What happened at the reception can only be described as a black-out. One moment I was sitting at a table with family and friends in conversation feeling overly relaxed and minutes later (I think it was minutes later, but I have no idea how much time passed) I awoke not knowing exactly where I was, and how long I had been out of it. It was a scary feeling.

Lesson Learned: Alp is a powerful medication! We are talking about a med. that affects your brain significantly at dosages measured in fractions of a Milligram (1 Milligram = 1 Part per Million)! Even Low Dosage Aspirin starts at 80 Milligrams. So, if you decide that Alp meds. are what you need to cure your condition, take great care. Administer the lowest amount that works and then hold yourself there. Keep yourself and others in a safe environment when you are evaluating your effective dosage and, FOR the LOVE of GOD and your fellow man, do not get behind the wheel of a car while you are going through this process! (read my last paragraph again).

PM me if you have questions and please be careful.

Blackbird
Thanks for reply Raven, I do not have GAD and do know that ALP's are often the best Med for this condition but they must be more difficult to get a script for as so many search for them! Although Habit forming as well, I think K-Pins, even 1-2 mg a day is very effective and could be a good choice for some folks to wean themselves off of Xanax. Just My opinion, I could be wrong entirely? Hope You have a GREAT 2018 Raven-FF
I have found that Alps are much more additive and hard to stop taking. Raven - I have had similar experiences, total memory loss with Alsp & Klons too. Diaz works much better for me. I don't have adverse effects if I stop as with the others. Don't understand why docs are so reluctant to prescribe Diaz but will happily give out an Alps script.
It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all — in which case, you fail by default.
Helpful Comments Reilli & fishfarmer:

I keep a backup supply of V's should I run out of Alps. Hopefully I have enough on hand to taper safely. I also keep some Rivers on hand for the same use as well. I have read enough about Alp withdrawal to have a healthy fear of this med.

I'm doing pretty well at keeping myself at a low maintenance dose and it serves to keep my GAD in check. Should I, for whatever reason, be forced away from my current regimen however, then I will move to Plan B (which involves administration of the meds. mentioned above for safe withdrawal).

My sense is that I will require some form of Benzo for the rest of my life in order to control my condition. I have lived with it all my life and I don't anticipate that aging will provide any relief so, yea, I'm worried about my future.

Blackbird
Raven - Had a friend who was on the Alps and got thrown in jail for something, had to go cold turkey. Said it was the worst experience of his life, Dts, hallucinations, etc. Only took Diaz after that.
It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all — in which case, you fail by default.
Reilli, My Dr. wouldn't prescribe V's as well, but was happy to prescribe X. I have since switched to K's which, for me, works better and seems to be less addictive. Sometimes for instant relief I rely on Eti or IOP X's for emergencies.
MoJim
(01-02-2018, 03:37 AM)reilli Wrote: Raven - Had a friend who was on the Alps and got thrown in jail for something, had to go cold turkey. Said it was the worst experience of his life, Dts, hallucinations, etc. Only took Diaz after that.

reilli:

I consider myself to be fit for my age, but if I landed in the same situation as your friend with the intense stress/anxiety resulting from being jailed, combined with an extended cold turkey withdrawal, then I'm certain it would kill me.

Blackbird
That is Rough Raven!! Cod Turkey in a cell, Wow! Glad You made it back too the other side! Tapering down off K-Pins was Not to difficult for me, but have not kicked the habit Yet. That is not the way someone wants to Taper! Glad all is well now! Best Wishes My Friend-FF
fishfarmer:

It was reilli's friend who was jailed not me. I was just saying that, if I were to face the same situation, then I doubt I could survive it.

Blackbird
(01-02-2018, 01:04 AM)Raven Wrote: Helpful Comments Reilli & fishfarmer:

I keep a backup supply of V's should I run out of Alps. Hopefully I have enough on hand to taper safely. I also keep some Rivers on hand for the same use as well. I have read enough about Alp withdrawal to have a healthy fear of this med.

I'm doing pretty well at keeping myself at a low maintenance dose and it serves to keep my GAD in check. Should I, for whatever reason, be forced away from my current regimen however, then I will move to Plan B (which involves administration of the meds. mentioned above for safe withdrawal).

My sense is that I will require some form of Benzo for the rest of my life in order to control my condition. I have lived with it all my life and I don't anticipate that aging will provide any relief so, yea, I'm worried about my future.

Blackbird

Raven,

If you read my welcome post you'll find I will never touch an alp again - My Doc had me on 3mg / day for 12 years, then abruptly stopped prescribing benzos and started prescribing SSRIs, not bothering to taper me.  I experienced the dreaded "cold turkey seizure" a week or so later, and ended up with a broken nose, broken ribs, and several inches of hide scraped off of me.

My new Doc put me on .5 clon twice a day, but naturally I'm panicked, and am stockpiling Di@z (my all-time favorite) and Clon@z so that I can taper myself if the new Doc pulls the same stunt.

I won't disparage the medication, it is wonderful for people with panic attacks - But a steady dosage of Di@z would do just as well, as it has such a long half life.  Alps are just too dangerous from a seizure perspective for me.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil