Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New FDA statement for Benzos w/ Opiate maintenance
I found this a few days ago...very interesting to me to see this since the FDA's previous "black box" warning about the dangers of prescribing opiates with benzos caused me much suffering under the care of a heartless and arrogant doctor. Seems they are loosening up and ever so slightly back tracking, at least for those on methadone or suboxone:
[/url]
[url=https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm576752.htm]https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm576752.htm

Main paragraph from above:

"As noted in the Drug Safety Communication, the co-administration of the MAT drugs methadone or buprenorphine with benzodiazepines or other central nervous system (CNS) depressants can pose serious risks, including difficulty breathing, coma, and death. The FDA’s new alert follows the agency’s warning last year of the risks of using opioid analgesics (to treat pain) or prescription opioid cough products and benzodiazepines at the same time. At that time, more consideration was needed regarding the combined use of these MAT drugs and benzodiazepines or other CNS depressants due to the unique medical needs and benefit-risk considerations for this specific patient population. As a result of that consideration, the FDA’s new advisory that we’re issuing today asks health care providers and patients to be aware of these risks. But at the same time, the agency is also reinforcing that MAT should not necessarily be denied to patients taking these other medications. The dangers associated with failing to treat an opioid use disorder can outweigh the risks of co-prescribing MAT and benzodiazepines. Instead, careful management of the patient and coordination of care is recommended."
(09-25-2017, 06:28 PM)dynalift Wrote: I found this a few days ago...very interesting to me to see this since the FDA's previous "black box" warning about the dangers of prescribing opiates with benzos caused me much suffering under the care of a heartless and arrogant doctor. Seems they are loosening up and ever so slightly back tracking, at least for those on methadone or suboxone:
[/url]
[url=https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm576752.htm]https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm576752.htm

Main paragraph from above:

"As noted in the Drug Safety Communication, the co-administration of the MAT drugs methadone or buprenorphine with benzodiazepines or other central nervous system (CNS) depressants can pose serious risks, including difficulty breathing, coma, and death. The FDA’s new alert follows the agency’s warning last year of the risks of using opioid analgesics (to treat pain) or prescription opioid cough products and benzodiazepines at the same time. At that time, more consideration was needed regarding the combined use of these MAT drugs and benzodiazepines or other CNS depressants due to the unique medical needs and benefit-risk considerations for this specific patient population. As a result of that consideration, the FDA’s new advisory that we’re issuing today asks health care providers and patients to be aware of these risks. But at the same time, the agency is also reinforcing that MAT should not necessarily be denied to patients taking these other medications. The dangers associated with failing to treat an opioid use disorder can outweigh the risks of co-prescribing MAT and benzodiazepines. Instead, careful management of the patient and coordination of care is recommended."

Great article.
It used to be you could never find a Dr taking patients..
Now they all do, but it's "do you want to be on sub of benz"... they will NOT take you if on benz8s
You used to be able to sign a waver saying it's my body and not on the Dr. (how it should be, IMO.. if the Dr agrees, of coarse).
However, you can find,, if you are lucky a Sub Dr whom is also a psychiatrist, who can prescribe you both sub and benz.
A friend recently found one, and she said it took her a very long time, and is 1 out of 30+ Drs she had phoned, that would work with her.
It's a Mad World.
Funny, it seems like ever since the CDC posted their harsh opioid prescribing guidelines everything has gotten worse in the US - more people turning to street drugs with god knows what in them. Nice to see the FDA backpedal with this publication, at some point they were pretty much saying a benzo + an opioid on the same script was an unofficial contraindication, no wonder docs are so scared of prescribing these days.