Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thyroid and benzo
Hello. Is anyone having experience with the thyroid behaving strange when taking or stopping taking benzodiazepines?
(09-04-2017, 02:39 AM)Melissa Wrote: Hello. Is anyone having experience with the thyroid behaving strange when taking or stopping taking benzodiazepines?

Hi Melissa, what kind of issues are you experiencing, and how are you determining that it's thyroid-related? Benzos can affect all neurotransmitters through GABA/glutamate, and neurotransmitters influence hormone secretion.
I had my thyroid tested and was told it was on the lower end of the scale (close to underactive)
This shocked me because the resason I got it tested was due to the fact i thought it was possibly overactive. I had most of the symptoms, for example i eat a lot but im quite skinny.

I waited and got it tested again and it crept back up.

The only thing i changed between tests was my d1az intake (i skipped my morning 5mg, pre-test)

So yes, i believe they do temporarily lower it (or make it less active) but i dont think they can permanently alter it.

Just my 2¢
Since benzos lower neurotransmitters, they could definitely lower TSH, which would reduce thyroid activity. But I do agree that they probably don't permanently alter it.