Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Days when it is difficult to move? lazy? or depressed?
Hi

I am not depressed but I have days when I simply don't wish to get out of bed and only do so to feed my cat,  in only work 4 months a year.

The days when I don't work I struggle to get out of bed,  then I feel bad for my laziness.

in short,  is this laziness or depression.

It causes me distress as I wish I could jump out of bed and have motivation.

I do have things to do, I have hobbies, I volunteer at 2 places and always pop in on a neighbour.
I also have to take care an elderly parent.

my doctor says I am not depressed, and I don't fancy taking AD, but he did say that I could give them a try.

Anyone else relate?
are you on any other medication or taking something ?

i find myself to be reall lazy mess every morning i might get up at 7, then fall asleep for few hours, wake up again not leaving the bed and drift off till its like 12-1 in the afternoon, feeling massively drained and would lie in bed if i could, but house chores etc gets me out eventually and takes good half day just to get head straight just to stay awake next night until almost morning, since some nights feel all energetic rush of ideas etc, but come morning same panic anxiety mess that keeps me in bed loop begins.

found most of it is due for not having proper schedule, specially if not needing to work, since theres no plans for many days its easy to become lazy and lose motivation.

ive no experience with AD meds but if thinking that route maybe boost with litium melatonin and other supplements, if its mild period.
I can totally relate to the days when I did not work I struggled to get out of bed or do anything at all. When I was diagnosed with PTSD my doctor pretty much advised this was one of the main symptoms of PTSD. They had me on Anti Depressants several different kinds but they make me more depressed ans suicidal.

Obviously since I have PTSD doctors pretty much use that diagnosis as an excuse for all my medical issues but have learned to manage them through certain benzo's, meditation and MoM treatment.

But with AD meds I will not have anything to do with them. I don't need something to depress me further or make me suicidal.

Stress iz also a major cause of some of your symptoms.

Good Luck in getting it figured out

Peace All
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
(08-31-2017, 11:35 PM)BlackSocks Wrote: Yellow dog you're figuring out what's going on with you that's causing this struggle and feelings of distress.  The doctor said he didn't think you're depressed (but advised you to try Antidepressants)  Confused

My guess is the doctor was proposing using antidepressants diagnostically - i.e. if there is improvement after two months of citalopram (or whatever SSRI), then it probably is/was depression.

The problem is that depression gets treated in rather binary terms. Perhaps it is more useful to think of depression as existing on a spectrum, rather than something you either do or don't have. Perhaps you are low level depressed? To be clear, this is NOT a diagnosis (I'm not allowed, and I haven't met you)!

I'd guess your doctor asked you a few questions that focused on intention to harm, maybe diet, alcohol, etc. If you don't score above the magic threshold then you technically aren't depressed. But those measures are very blunt instruments. You get people who fall into what is termed "sub-clinical" depression i.e. have some of the markers for depression, but don't quite hit the threshold for it to be considered clinically significant. So maybe you sit there (again, not a diagnosis, just an example).

You could self-administer the HADS (Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale). It is one side of paper, 14 questions, and it might give you a sense of where you sit. If none of the issues seem applicable then you almost certainly aren't depressed, but if you get the "oh, yes, that's me" feeling about some of them then it might give you something more specific to discuss with your doctor when you next see them. Don't fixate on the score it produces, think about whether the topics resonate with you.

Good luck
Thanks to all those have replied.

I don't feel depressed I just feel unmotivated and lazy and then angry at myself for being lazy.

I just need motivation, I even tried ephedrine and that was a BAD experience.

I once made up a story when I got cleaners around, I cannot stand living in Filth and I do try and keep my house as spotless as possible, one time, It got too bad, so I told the cleaners I was recovering from an operation rather than admit I was too lazy.

The doc asked about self harm, drinking, suicide and I said NO,

He said AD MAY help but he does not think I'm depressed. I am tempted to try them.

I have not heard if that test Blacksocks.

If I someplace I NEED to go then I can get up in time and put a bit of make up on etc.

yet if I have nothing to do it can take me HOURS just to pull a jogging pants and a jumper on.

Thankfully I still bath and brush my teeth often

but there have been times, I have not bathed or washed or even changed clothes or leave the house.

I really have to push myself.

The times when I don't bath I think I MUST have depression but thankfully this only last about a week or so. and I feel to ashamed to let anyone see me.

thanks for listening

I feel bad for being lazy, then I feel bad for not being kind to myself LOL!

I wonder if there is a psych label that fits me, not depressed but to low to function
Personally, I am not sure if a doctor is qualified enough to diagnose you as not being depressed. This is Psychiatrist or phycologist area of expertise. 

You say your behavior with being in bed is causing you concern although you don't think you are depressed. As you are questioning the possibility it sounds like there is something going on. I wouldn't be afraid of going on a AD. You can weigh up whether you feel they are improving your quality of life or not.

Sounds like you have got nothing to lose by trying therapy or AD. You never know you may have slight depression without realising it.

Good luck, wish you all the best.
(08-31-2017, 12:37 PM)yellowdog Wrote: Hi

I am not depressed but I have days when I simply don't wish to get out of bed and only do so to feed my cat,  in only work 4 months a year.

The days when I don't work I struggle to get out of bed,  then I feel bad for my laziness.

in short,  is this laziness or depression.

It causes me distress as I wish I could jump out of bed and have motivation.

I do have things to do, I have hobbies, I volunteer at 2 places and always pop in on a neighbour.
I also have to take care an elderly parent.

my doctor says I am not depressed, and I don't fancy taking AD, but he did say that I could give them a try.

Anyone else relate?

I know it tough, but you have to force yourself to do things. Start off small by engaging in one of your hobbies. I know if I wake up and jump on the internet first thing in the morning I find it hard to get motivated. So I'll typically write a list of the things I need to do and the things I'd like to do. Cross them off as they are completed, you'd be surprised how good it feels to cross those jobs off that you've been putting off for too long. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get all of the items off, try a little harder the next day. Treat it like a reverse taper, slowly build and add things to your routine.
I'm kind of ashamed to admit this but at times I have not showered, bathed, brushed hair etc for a week, I feel to self councious to let anyone see me in a state.

I stick to by hobbies even though I no longer get so much enjoyment from them,

a girl in some other forum articulated so much better what she was going through and I could relate.

I think I do need to be less harsh and just focus on routine and small the stuff and keep on trying.

Thanks for all your responses.

I do need to sort my life out.

can anyone recommend any motivational youtube vids like the pale blue dot etc.
Not bathing is a classic sign of depression. How's your appetite?
very poor, I once dropped to a BMI of 12, they gave me ensure, ran test etc.

I have NO interest in food but I do eat healthy and now have a BMI of 20.

I generally have to force myself to to say,

Right must shower etc today,

In the past I would do it without thinking of coaxing myself.

I try to find someplace to go everyday as that would MAKE be bath etc.

In short I just want my MOTIVATION back, I don't want to seen as lazy slob, but at times that is what I think of myself.

when I do go out in public and I plan to dress nicely put on make up etc.

I do think I maybe depressed maybe that why trams help me. if I don't take them everyday, when I do take them they give me motivation so maybe I do need SRRI. I have not told my GP this.

sometimes even Codeine give me motivation.