Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People and their damnable selfies
A mob of beachgoers wanted to play with a baby dolphin — and wound up killing it

By Amy B Wang August 16 at 2:42 PM

A dead baby dolphin displayed by a member of Equinac in Mojacar, southern Spain. (Courtesy Equinac via AFP/Getty Images)
A baby dolphin died last week after “hundreds” of beachgoers in southern Spain surrounded the animal to touch and take pictures with it, sparking condemnation from a local animal rescue group.

The incident took place last Friday in Mojácar, on the country’s southeastern coast, according to Equinac, a Spanish nonprofit organization that advocates for marine wildlife.

According to several posts on the group’s Facebook page, a baby dolphin that was stranded on the beach was quickly surrounded by numerous “curious” people, including children, who wanted to touch and photograph it. Some accidentally covered the dolphin’s spiracle, the blowhole the animals use to breath, the group said.

One concerned person reported the stranded animal to 112, the country’s emergency services number, but by the time Equinac rescuers arrived at the beach, the dolphin was dead, the group said.

“Once again we note that the human being is the most irrational species that exists,” Equinac wrote on Facebook Aug. 11, the day of the incident, blasting the “selfishness” of those that had swarmed the animal. “There are many [who are] incapable of empathy for a living being that is alone, scared, starved, without his mother and terrified…. All you want to do is to photograph and poke, even if the animal suffers from stress.”

The group later clarified that the baby dolphin may have been isolated because it was sick or somehow separated from its mother. However, even though the beachgoers had not been responsible for the dolphin’s stranding, merely touching and photographing the animals can cause them to enter “a very high stress state” and, at worst, to experience fatal shock, the group said.

Those who see a stranded dolphin should call emergency rescue services rather than try to handle the animal, it added.

Equinac did not immediately respond to a request for further comment Wednesday. In a subsequent Facebook post, the group said it had turned down media interview requests “because we are not interested in circuses.”

The incident was reminiscent of a similar one last year in Argentina, when beachgoers picked up an endangered baby dolphin and passed it around for selfies. The animal later died. Its death triggered a round of public shaming against those who had mobbed the animal, as well as a strongly worded statement by the Argentine Wildlife Foundation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...ost&wpmk=1
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

That's just so upsetting Charon.

There have been quite a few situations where live whales have found themselves washed up on beaches in New Zealand...and even upstream in the Thames as far as The Houses of Parliament.

But people have been so patient and helpful and only put the best interests of the whales first. Nobody would even think of taking selfies with them.

Unfortunately the whales seem to die from one thing or another and people don't know why they keep getting beached in the same place.
Maybe their natural internal tracking and navigation capabilities get confused.

Just so sad.
Whereas i agree that the mammal needed immediate medical attention and that It may not have been saveable, i rescued kittens an hour old that the momma had been killed or rejected the baby so i would have still gotten the baby to rehabers.

A few selfies showed the idiots covering the airhole so the baby could not breath.

It is so infuriating to me, ok, also that people take these selfie competitions and are pouring boiling water on a strange girl, or shooting themselves in the head. All for selfies. But, when I have been holding an animal that had to be put down, or whom was dying and we knew nothing could be done, at least the baby could have been shown love.

He died hearing laughter and being in pain and fear and being air hungry is no fun. I am a veggetarian, does it show?

I read way too many stories of challenges on social media. And, people die. The Blue elephant was 100 cruel and escalating acts ending in Live suicide for whomever is promoting this.

And, criminals are live streaming rapes of people. Other crimes.

Before Survivor aired, we had laws in place that animals could not be hurt on camera. But, it all reverted to animal abuse when all those surviving shows evolved. Grotesque.

And very stupid people, with no thought to consequences, are harming other people and animals, on live streaming or pics they upload to factbook. Well it sure makes it easier to prosecute them.

However, No one was prosecuted for killing the allegedly protected animals in a sanctuary in africa i believe it was.

They are gonna have severe mental problems the people whom live on social media and relating only to social media.

It is not life as it should be. It is friggin social media. The Courts have stated one is expected to lie online. Will not be held liable for lying and creating false personas. Argh.

In my day, our name and a handshake was our word. Now? Even if there was no meeting of the minds, it is now understood that the average person u speak to online nowadays is a criminal. Like someone from nigeria or cameroon.

Or, that nice trump family whom keeps offering me millions. Gah. End of rant which turned into one on social media as it is changing. I hoped it could help people connect and mature using online and education online, but, they are regressing rapidly as they feel they can get away with anything. Anything at all.

People have become so callous. Those teens that live Facebooked the man who was drowning, laughing the whole time as he slowly drowned. This poor baby dolphin. I have heard of other people who have passed marine life around taking selfies until they kill or injure them. Ugh.
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ~ Mark Twain
that is right. i did read about teens laughing as an older and disabled man was drowning in the water. They kept yelling: you should not have gone in.

I am not sure if he had heatstroke, or suicidal tendencies and changed his mind. And, when i was young, could not swim, my girlfriend and i went to the local pool. with two high school guys whom were lifeguards. I guess its called a rip tide cuz i lost part of the bikini. would not come out even if i could win over a rip tide. My girlfriend was saying: i have to tell her mother that i let her die. Finally the two life guards we came to jones beach with swam out, got my bathing suit piece, and were able to swim whilst carrying me.

So, i had no warning. The poor disabled man maybe had no warning. But, how in god's name can people sit by and let another die?

I am sorry its just my sister and the Pastor are seeing incredible evil and she tells me all this.

Oh, from a few years ago as i follow law cases: If u r disabled, never post that fact on social media if your location is not hidden. One poor man in the bronx, had a gaggle of three scum break in regularly for his Valium for gods sake.

On the fourth break in, he fought and they killed him. Over Valium.

I shall never again use a walker or cane in public when i move cuz people assume we all have money and meds. I beg to differ.

I guess this has become the Bad deeds thread. Sorry.

What mankind does to one another is sick. I didn't hear about the poor dolphin but the drowning incident I believed happened very recently. I know that it isn't a law that people help someone in this type of need but lets say somebody has the audacity to tape or take a picture of an incident like this...then I believe a stern talking to is in order.
This story hurts me so much. I used to work at a zoo, and had a daily show where I brought out three types of reptiles and talked about them and conservation issues. I loved that job, because I knew the animals had a great life and I was educating the public about how to protect wild animals. One summer we got a traveling stingray exhibition at our zoo. I didn't realize that our zoo was the first stop for these stingrays and that they had been taken straight from the ocean. It was an interactive exhibit, and guests could touch the stingrays. I spent part of my day on a microphone reciting the rules and guidelines for touching the stingrays. It was incredibly hard to get the crowd to comply with the rules. Everyday we found more stingrays dead. By the end if the summer they had all died. That summer still haunts me.
I agree, these stories are very upsetting.

We used to see a by-stander effect where people wouldn't help because they'd assume someone else would do it, or that someone else would be better placed (e.g. more knowledgeable). Now we get this whole new layer added with camera phones. I am not excusing them, but I suspect for some people when they are viewing events through the screen/viewfinder, it has a distancing effect and makes it seem less like they should do something to help. It is a worrying trend.
ugh this reminds me about a year ago it become almost a trend that young women/teen girls would take a pic next to a relative that were very old and clearly very ill as in close to death. one woman even took selfies at the funeral

Those poor people obvously could not consent to have their pic taken and the people taking the selfies clearly did so to get attention and likes.

There is a time and a place for selfies but people always have to push it.

Kim Kardashion has said the selfies trend is over..... and thank God for that.
AAAAaaaaaaaaaargh Sad
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata