Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazed by what Neurologist advised me....
Hello,
Well I finally got a appointment with a neuro early next month for nerve pain after I had a total hip replacement. So far I have tried gabapentin lyrica, neurontin all with bad side effects. I have heard this neuro is good but kind of a jerk so we will see what happens.

Sudsy
Best of luck Sudsy. I have seen a few neuro's in my day.

Definitely more important that the neuro is good doctor than that they have a good bedside manner.

One point on the meds that you have tried is they are what I (and others probably) call a systematic (sp?) approach. You have one nerve or a group of nerves that are somehow being aggravated by something that happened during your hip replacement. So to take a pill that has a systemic approach means you are impacting how ALL of your nerves are working or how you brain is interpreting ALL of those nerve signals.

To me that is why so often these drugs are overkill. You do not have diabetic neuropathy or any other nerve disease that impacts many of your nerves.

You have one specific area that is hurting. Hopefully he can figure out which one and where and provide a localized approach to the pain.

Also imo, it's important to realize that with nerve pain, we often feel it in different places than from where it is actually located. Called referred pain. I use to have some good links on that. I will look around and post if I can find them.

Please know I am not trying to diagnose or anything. I just really really believe that we as patients do better when we can both articulate our pain issue and understand the pros and cons of suggested treatments.

So early next month is October. Do update us.

Wishing you the best,

Fire
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
FirePlaces,
Thank you for the information.

Sudsy
I know someone who's had fibromyalgia for 20 years, and MMJ is the best thing they've ever tried for it. Interestingly, they say only eating it gives pain-relieving effects; smoking/vaping it does nothing.
(09-17-2017, 09:11 AM)Sudsy Wrote: Hello,
Well I finally got a appointment with a neuro early next month for nerve pain after I had a total hip replacement. So far I have tried gabapentin lyrica, neurontin all with bad side effects. I have heard this neuro is good but kind of a jerk so we will see what happens.

Sudsy

I think every neuro doctor I've seen has been a complete jerk. They seem to forget that we are their customers and for the life of me I really think they left out bedside manner in their training in medical school. I hope you get a much better experience than I've had with them than I've had. Just follow what they say and don't interject with your opinions ok what's wrong. I think that's where things got weird for me each time.
"Love your life and love others around you"
I live in the UK is there any way to get medical marijuana of the doctor and if so could you post a reply thanks
Hey Fred13, be sure to make yourself a welcome post.

Do you need the link to the welcome thread, should be first post. and only 5 a day until 50 posts

Click Here;

Welcome Thread

1. Its compulsory for each newly registered member to introduce self in the Welcome Threads click this, Welcome Center section.  Use “Post A Thread” Button.
(09-17-2017, 09:11 AM)Sudsy Wrote: Hello,

Sudsy

@Sudsy May I ask what side effects you suffered with Lyrica? I'm planning on asking my GP for it during my next appointment. It is a last resort for me as the others you mentioned made me feel like a zombie and like I wasn't in my right mind. Thank you..
Hello Davix,
For me it was swelling of my tongue, but the worst was the added anxiety.
Neuro appointment was changed to next Friday the 22nd. I will post update.

sudsy
Both Neurontin and Lyrica gave me added anxiety as well. They have very strange effects, sort of sedating yet stimulating at the same time.