Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What do you collect as a hobby?
That is beautiful Apple. made my day!!
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Let's get this back on track after the rather tragic diversion...

Earlier in the thread I said I collected 12" records/vinyl as a former DJ in nightclubs.

A more recent hobby has come from the movies. I can't give my location, but let's just say it gets used to make a lot of TV and film, plus music videos and adverts. Everything from a small movie doing one day to Speilberg. My street is long enough to use for car chases and wide enough to flip a vehicle. The streets around me have been dressed by art departments to be London, Poland and the USA (plus more I can't remember). Actually, it's really weird watching TV drama when characters walk along my street, turn right and there's Big Ben (or some other internationally known building). Also, when I travel I have an uncanny ability to find myself in the middle of movies. I arrive and there are the white Warner Bros trucks waiting. LOL  Rolleyes

So, I've a collection of props from movies. I have a bullet casing, a watch, and a frightningly real Japanese sword. The sword is wired in for safety as people used to ask if it was sharp and immediately use their thumb to test it! FFS, would you test whether a gun was loaded by shooting yourself? Luckily no really serious injuries resulted, but I'd had enough of patching up my friends. I've got reels of 35mm film, cans to hold it, even some 70mm IMAX film. As cinemas/theaters convert to digital, many are finding prints of movies in storerooms. An entire film comes in a lot of heavy cans. Now I just buy trailers for iconic movies since they fit into one small film can. Most precious of all is the slate (clapper-board) from a movie signed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours).

Recently I was going through my Dad's things (he died a while back) and found an amazing collection of postage stamps from all over the world. We don't do so much letter writing today, but I might try to revive the tradition in my family. He also had a load of coins, one was 1700s. I wish I knew where he got it from. Just shows how diverse hobbies and collections can be!
Glorious idea. I should just delete my posts.

What a collection you have.

There used to be places where one could buy the clothes worn by actors in favorite movies. I went for Benicio Del Toro's shirt.

I used to collect Irish items.

Anyone else a collector?

(12-31-2022, 03:48 PM)Your dad’s collection sounds incredible!  What a great way to honor his hobby for your family to keep the tradition going i used to collect bills and coins from my travels. barq- Wrote: Let's get this back on track after the rather tragic diversion...

Earlier in the thread I said I collected 12" records/vinyl as a former DJ in nightclubs.

A more recent hobby has come from the movies. I can't give my location, but let's just say it gets used to make a lot of TV and film, plus music videos and adverts. Everything from a small movie doing one day to Speilberg. My street is long enough to use for car chases and wide enough to flip a vehicle. The streets around me have been dressed by art departments to be London, Poland and the USA (plus more I can't remember). Actually, it's really weird watching TV drama when characters walk along my street, turn right and there's Big Ben (or some other internationally known building). Also, when I travel I have an uncanny ability to find myself in the middle of movies. I arrive and there are the white Warner Bros trucks waiting. LOL  Rolleyes

So, I've a collection of props from movies. I have a bullet casing, a watch, and a frightningly real Japanese sword. The sword is wired in for safety as people used to ask if it was sharp and immediately use their thumb to test it! FFS, would you test whether a gun was loaded by shooting yourself? Luckily no really serious injuries resulted, but I'd had enough of patching up my friends. I've got reels of 35mm film, cans to hold it, even some 70mm IMAX film. As cinemas/theaters convert to digital, many are finding prints of movies in storerooms. An entire film comes in a lot of heavy cans. Now I just buy trailers for iconic movies since they fit into one small film can. Most precious of all is the slate (clapper-board) from a movie signed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours).

Recently I was going through my Dad's things (he died a while back) and found an amazing collection of postage stamps from all over the world. We don't do so much letter writing today, but I might try to revive the tradition in my family. He also had a load of coins, one was 1700s. I wish I knew where he got it from. Just shows how diverse hobbies and collections can be!
One of the curious things is a cloth bag filled with shillings (pre-decimalisation in the UK, which I think was 1971). It is from the Royal Mint, who make the coins, and has a seal stamped on it. Like it is embossed in lead or some other soft metal. I'd guess there are a thousand "mint condition" coins in there. I have no idea what to do with that... maybe a museum?

As for the stamps, I'd quite like to find a real enthusiast and let them have the stamps. One or two are valuable and I could sell them and give the money to a charity he supported.

Then there are a few old coins which I'm keeping for now. I live in an old area, there is a 250 year old canal that crosses my street so having coins of the same age makes me feel connected to the area. (It isn't where he lived, but he knew the city for work reasons.)

@Charon - I admire Benicio Del Toro as well. What sort of Irish items did you collect?
I used to collect a piece of beleek china. Differing ones. QVC used to have a Gaelic celebration and I would buy a few items each years. Sweaters, Irish jewelry. But no more. Had to move too many times.

So, now, I collect semi feral cats outside this home. And i really love having them around.

I love scouring, vintage shops for antique china. Things were made so beautiful back then with so much detail.

I love feral cats as well. They are so independent and so hard to gain their trust but when you do you feel so special!
Porcelain cats since I was a teen. Several years ago during a move, I dropped the box and a good amount broke. The ones that survived the fall were actually gifts from family so I chose not to see it as a negative. I need to get back into it. Hobbies are healthy when your mind is a twisted blend of chaos.