Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
switching up benzos
(05-19-2017, 02:36 PM)cmdline Wrote: As title states i basically want to reduce my tolerance for good while been on 3mg xanax,now getting some stock ive basically went to random benzos that have longer half life but are quite weak,ive have taken nitrazepam 5mgs and bromazepam 5mg,both quite old benzos that hardly compare in strength to valium.

interestingly enough jumping down to 15mg of said benzos keeps me stable,and anxiety free for the most part of the day,nitrazepam does have some negative groggy effects in the morning ,but found that im able to cope on such dosage and plan on further dropping to 10mgs daily on said benzos.

Any advice or experiences will being on weaker benzos for couple months decrease tolerance,since have xanax and clonazepam which i stockpiled and dont want to get back to any on until i can be fine on dosage that is lesser then 2mgs per day.

Since i know i wont be able to kick them any time soon and WDs are unpleasant, but still thinking rationally dont want to spiral where i need to have at least 3-4mgs on daily basis to function properly.

Now someone reading might say why dont i stick with whatever i take now and minimum amounts,its basically i have summer off and keep all the stressful situations where i have anxiety to minimum also switching off coffee and eating healthy thus while still feel WDs but they are manageable on small amounts when not doing much.

Any inputs appreciated.

When you are switching benzos, which I have many many times, you are right about coffee.  But you also need to avoid cigarettes (slows down healing and a stimulant), alcohol/sugar.. anything that will speed up your body in any way.  

From my experience it is much easier to switch or taper if you avoid these things.  

And don't try to beat it faster than you're comfortable with, you will end up in the ER and not even know how you got there.  Good luck, God bless.. it's a long journey.
hi thx for response yes benzos isnt smth that can be rushed, im back to where i started,i have this sweet spot of 40mg vals or any other simillar acting benzos but that's it,once it builds up i can skip a day or two,if reducing eventually i find myself in wd's withing week or two,since seems small skipping 10mgs or so but it catches up, its been years now since ive been stuck at almost same dosage since dont get any benefits from taking more thus taper is smth i return when i run low, which is bad since i should be doing it when having good supply, which is another catch when times are good and i think ill do it later or some other pathetic excuse.
Coffee/caffeine increases my anxiety 10 fold. I'm sure there are many people out there with anxiety issues that don't realize the connection. Maybe out of habit with coffee every morning and of course caffeine is addictive.
Yes, i do find coffee increases my axiety... I still drink it everyday. Once i start clenching my jaw i know its time to slow down.

And i would think clonazepam would be great for detoxing off of benzos.
"Nobody owns life, but anyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death." -William S Burroughs
Valium is the best way to detox off benzos. Klonopin is too high an affinity benzo so even though it's long acting, when it leaves you are left in a panic. Valium is different. Another way is to take a long acting benzo like valium to sleep or even ones like temazepam surprisingly and you can make it through the day. Interestingly. I was using halcyon and was able to go the whole day with no benzo and then stopped the halcyon with no problems. That was very interesting.
(10-26-2017, 06:10 PM)cutstack Wrote: Valium is the best way to detox off benzos. Klonopin is too high an affinity benzo so even though it's long acting, when it leaves you are left in a panic. Valium is different. Another way is to take a long acting benzo like valium to sleep or even ones like temazepam surprisingly and you can make it through the day. Interestingly.  I was using halcyon and was able to go the whole day with no benzo and then stopped the halcyon with no problems. That was very interesting.

Hi Cutstack, what do you mean by "Klonopin is too high an affinity benzo"? Are you referring to its potency by milligram?

I know Ashton recommends diazepam for benzo tapering, but I would imagine any benzo with a decent half-life would work. I've heard of people successfully tapering after switching to clonazepam or even lorazepam.
Lexapro worked really well for someone I know. Not so much for me.

Personally, the benzos, like Vailum and Kpins, with the long half lives work well for me. I normally taper off after the half-life ends with a low-dose weak benzo (bromazepam is perfect) if I can't take the moody anxiety.
(05-20-2017, 06:17 PM)dynalift Wrote: I'm kind of considering the same issue, though I'm on a lower dose of Alps (1 mg). I also have k-pins and etiz. I find the etiz OK only in emergencies, does not really help for anxiety. But I have switched every other day between similar doses of K-pin and Alps and do find my attitude improves a bit, feel a little more energetic, but still keeps the anxiety at bay. I think giving the old receptors something different might be a good thing long term. You just have to stick with a taper schedule and make sure the equivalencies are correct--in theory, you might have better success this way than simply tapering from a single drug. Good luck! I think its very doable to get below 1mg alps by end of summer!

Saw this post. I took Etiz once but felt no effects. Is the medication supposed to be as effective as normal benzos? I know it is a different category but related. I just felt nothing when I took it for a few days. Maybe it was a bad batch.
(11-13-2017, 06:02 PM)bwitherite Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 06:17 PM)dynalift Wrote: I'm kind of considering the same issue, though I'm on a lower dose of Alps (1 mg). I also have k-pins and etiz. I find the etiz OK only in emergencies, does not really help for anxiety. But I have switched every other day between similar doses of K-pin and Alps and do find my attitude improves a bit, feel a little more energetic, but still keeps the anxiety at bay. I think giving the old receptors something different might be a good thing long term. You just have to stick with a taper schedule and make sure the equivalencies are correct--in theory, you might have better success this way than simply tapering from a single drug. Good luck! I think its very doable to get below 1mg alps by end of summer!

Saw this post. I took Etiz once but felt no effects. Is the medication supposed to be as effective as normal benzos? I know it is a different category but related. I just felt nothing when I took it for a few days. Maybe it was a bad batch.

Hi Bweitherite,

Etizolam is technically a "normal" benzo. Within the category "benzos," there are subgroups depending on minor molecular differences. Most of the classic benzos are 1,4-Benzodiazepines (diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam, etc). Alprazolam and triazolam are triazolobenzodiazepines. Etizolam is a thienotriazolodiazepine.

Etizolam is actually the most-prescribed benzo in Asia. If you took it and felt nothing, it's possible that you didn't take enough or had a bad batch. I personally find it similar to lorazepam, potency-wise.

But different benzos have different effects on the various GABA-A receptor subunits, which is why they have subtle differences despite having the same mechanism of action.

This is a pretty good overview of the different GABA-A receptor subunits:
http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/550567-T...diazepines