Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
switching up benzos
(01-24-2018, 09:21 PM)OldBoy Wrote: I've switched back and forth countless times, and settled on good old Di@aepam.  Alps withdrawals start almost immediately and are pure hell, brom & ox are too  weak to do the trick, Clon is fine, but there are days where there feels like something's "missing".

Coming up on 20 years of benz@ prescriptions now, and 10mg Di@z first thing in the morning along with 10mg at 6PM seems to be perfect.

Thanks for that, O. Invaluable first hand info, as you always seem to come though with.
(01-25-2018, 02:33 AM)Rafterman Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 09:21 PM)OldBoy Wrote: I've switched back and forth countless times, and settled on good old Di@aepam.  Alps withdrawals start almost immediately and are pure hell, brom & ox are too  weak to do the trick, Clon is fine, but there are days where there feels like something's "missing".

Coming up on 20 years of benz@ prescriptions now, and 10mg Di@z first thing in the morning along with 10mg at 6PM seems to be perfect.

Thanks for that, O. Invaluable first hand info, as you always seem to come though with.

Thank you RM, most kind.  The problem with my experience is that it is anecdotal, and as we both know, so many factors differ between manifestations of GAD or panic attacks, and neurochemistry is (if only slightly) different between any two given people.  While Di@z seems to do well for me, I know folks who won't touch it - They want alp, clon, or loraz, because that's what works for them!

Sigh.  It's my age I suppose.  An older medication for an older fellow ;-)

Always good to see you, RM.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

-- Saint Basil

I'm experienced with ssris,and took pail for 6 yrs,,ran low on funds and switched to prozac,had to decrease paxil,break up pills and then when down to like 10 mg started taking the Prozac which seems just as good and isn't as sedating,also have taken some benzos to help manage panic and anxiety that is genetic plus my personality makes me vulnerable to it..so when on clonazapam,which has a long half life I certainly felt better but it gave me some withdraw type symptoms,insomnia,anxiety increased,wierd twitching increaed,,I wanted to go off of them because what if I do not have them and run out? I do not want to experience cold turkey,it's scary..I was prescribed then by a psychiatrist but switched insurances due to health issues causing me not to work,,so I am now taking one a given in the morning of 1 mg,and that's all but I also have them handy in case I need another,,once I get going in the day it seems less stressfull,but just 3 days ago I got a prescription for gabapenin,and I'm noticing a huge difference in my pain and anxiety and hoping I may be able to stop the daily benzos gradually.and just have them on hand in case of issues.My advice is to take as little as possible and it's just better all around not to become dependent on them especially when some providers will not issue a script even if you have been diagnosed and treated with them for 10 plus yrs,,yea 2002 is when I first got em,,and cut off last summer,,wow ,it's really scary when this occurs..so please be carefull and look at all data,tel lives and such so u minimize dependency.
(01-24-2018, 09:21 PM)OldBoy Wrote: I've switched back and forth countless times, and settled on good old Di@aepam.

I have had the same experience after getting in over my head with etiz.  The taper was very manageable!
Alternating different products in the same class seems to help with tolerance. I have had the most success with the big 3 Kpn,Atv and alp and even better results when rotating. However anything is better than nothing and even and old school med such as pbarb can help with a taper. When it comes to a full blown panic attack nothing beats an Alp in my opinion. In the end it is whatever works best for you as were All unique and that's a good thing.
Sometimes its better to live with the fact that you will need low dose benzos (best switching , each situation needs the most suitable benzo) for the rest of life, than suffer or try to stop completly. I think the benzos got more bad reputation than they deserve. And this is fueled by the most famous anti benzo Ashton doctor. I think they are life saving. But be moderate in the dosage. If you dont increase above therapeutic dose, you will be OK. Dont get scared by the anti benzo propaganda and hysteria. Many doctors refuse prescribe them, but i think the stress will do more harm to you than a small dose of benzos.
Anyone here try to replace Benzos for Baclofen ?
(05-10-2018, 03:22 AM)Costro77 Wrote: Sometimes its better to live with the fact that you will need low dose benzos (best switching , each situation needs the most suitable benzo) for the rest of life, than suffer or try to stop completly. I think the benzos got more bad reputation than they deserve. And this is fueled by the most famous anti benzo Ashton doctor. I think they are life saving. But be moderate in the dosage. If you dont increase above therapeutic dose, you will be OK. Dont get scared by the anti benzo propaganda and hysteria. Many doctors refuse prescribe them, but i think the stress will do more harm to you than a small dose of benzos.

think you are right, what i find with ashtons manual idea thats its almost 40 50 years old, same old practice keep lowering dosage, its no brainer to figure that one out really, but seems no one is willing to touch this field and any press on benzos is always negative, by design benzos are highly safe as its almost impossible to OD on them, even largest dose will put one down for sleep, but its easily counteracted. Since most cases involve alcohol which is major catalyst and then some A class drugs that usually will do most harm with alcohol, but media likes bashing oh benzos was used , dont see out cry when thousands each day die from alcohol, but once celeb and benzo its epidemic Undecided .

Anyway drifted off topic, i find being on long lasting benzos is way to go, i do switch to alps when needed but long term diaz ativan if not mistaken the long lasting ones are way to go.Since found that being on short acting week or two in you spiral out where dosage wears off in few hours, and intake keeps climbing unlike with long lasting ones it usually declines or stabilizes at some point where you feel normal and dont get any side effects, if you miss dose or two.