Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like/Dislike
(11-18-2016, 05:56 PM)Charon Wrote: You have to wait till u get in ur first fifty posts my friend. Then, u may rate another's post.  We only allow members to give positive ratings to another.  Only administrative staff may give negative reputation points to a member.  It is done to get their attention when they first come on.

We have found newbies whom were banned or trolls, to come on here and give negative ratings to me, my staff, my members, all to disrupt this forum of peace.

So, we have figured that by the time one reaches fifty posts, most of us whom are here have a very good idea of the character of the poster.  

That is when you will be allowed to give reputation points to others whom have made a good post.  Sometimes whom need a bit of encouragement.

But, we don't have a like button, per se.

We have voted against having a dislike button for any reason.  We noted in the first few weeks of running this forum, that some mean people come on here, take an instant dislike to another, and start giving them all dislike posts.

It can really hurt someone's feelings.  They can never want to interact at a forum again.

I have been running forums since i first became disabled some twenty odd yrs ago.  

We strive to only encourage and uplift our members whenever possible.

But, we were originally private.  We are public at the moment.  I am sure we shall discuss the Like button again.

In reality, because i am permanently disabled, my arms just stop working by about evening.  So, I shall give a "like" to a person by giving them reputation points, or, in the alternative, I use "new Reply" function.  And, I choose a heart and a smile face.

I know my co admin, Admin of Steel, has answered this query before.  We whom are the staff and the beginner members do vote on how to proceed.  To date, we use the ratings button to show approval for a post.

Or, a heart.  A smile.  

Your suggestion has been duly noted though.  We shall think again about a like button.  A dislike button can be used for cruelty.  If you do see a horrible or negative post, please use report button to let us know so that one of us can delete or edit same.

k?
Hey, this is great to know.  I like that in a way the forum is decentralized in a way that all members can keep tabs on one another and offer positive feedback and encouragement.  I was not previously aware of this until I read this post.  Just another good reason to slow the advance to 50 posts; because of that time I have been browsing more and learning more.  It is obvious that this is a place where one needs to focus on helping others, not just being here for their own needs only.  I really like that concept of support.  I can use more friends;.