Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PTSD and Me
(04-23-2017, 11:24 AM)Furyan66 Wrote: Good Sunday All... Things still been going pretty good controlling all the Anxiety and even been doing better at getting out of this shell and actually socializing more. Always will be a struggle but just remember when you feel the anxiety coming on just take a deep breath and refocus your thoughts to that "special place of peace" in your mind everyone has one and concentrate on your breathing. Most people who don't suffer from PTSD breath and dont even think about it. PTSD sufferers have to control your breathing otherwise anxiety can turn into a full blown panic attack and those are one of the worst things I have ever went through. Breathing, Controlling your thoughts and you have to be one tough minded person to fight through this but you can..

Each person has to find their own way and some doctors don't always know best.

My daughter recently gave me a couple Salt Lamp Crystals that I have incorporated in to my meditation and after taking a few nights to get used to the diferent glow at night, I have now learned to love em

This is a link to another thread that has good info about Anxiety
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=2389

Salt Lamps Link
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=29...light=salt

Hope you are doing well mboxfrogger and dancing wolf, remember you are not alone. My PM door is open

my mother swears by these steam releasers that you drop essential oils into... i'm really more of a visceral person and i usually need some sort of proff something is working or will work but at the very least it's neutral and  could argue the point that if you use it (many essential oils are very pleasant smelling to spread through your living space) when you are calm you could create a neural connection there.

on another note, the worst thing i've noticed about my PTSD, after my 'frozen' period where i mostly felt nothing is that your average panic attack which is nothing to sneeze at could, given the right circumstances (for some reason sunday late nights going into monday mornings are a concern/trigger point for me) i go through this... total breakdown where a bed of general anxiety and fear is laid down and the smallest thing will set off a panic attack. these episodes will last for 4-5 hours and i could easily have 2,3,4 panic attacks an hour in that time. I find the weirdest things to latch on to to hold on to my sanity (running sink water, sitting in a chair i normally don't sit in, pacing because to sit down will trigger another panic attack, running warm water over my hands or feet) this type of stuff really makes me feel crazy and is a fresh new hell in my battles with mental health. any experience or advice on this?
(04-25-2017, 12:25 PM)mboxfrogger Wrote:
(04-23-2017, 11:24 AM)Furyan66 Wrote: Good Sunday All... Things still been going pretty good controlling all the Anxiety and even been doing better at getting out of this shell and actually socializing more. Always will be a struggle but just remember when you feel the anxiety coming on just take a deep breath and refocus your thoughts to that "special place of peace" in your mind everyone has one and concentrate on your breathing. Most people who don't suffer from PTSD breath and dont even think about it. PTSD sufferers have to control your breathing otherwise anxiety can turn into a full blown panic attack and those are one of the worst things I have ever went through. Breathing, Controlling your thoughts and you have to be one tough minded person to fight through this but you can..

Each person has to find their own way and some doctors don't always know best.

My daughter recently gave me a couple Salt Lamp Crystals that I have incorporated in to my meditation and after taking a few nights to get used to the diferent glow at night, I have now learned to love em

This is a link to another thread that has good info about Anxiety
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=2389

Salt Lamps Link
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=29...light=salt

Hope you are doing well mboxfrogger and dancing wolf, remember you are not alone. My PM door is open

my mother swears by these steam releasers that you drop essential oils into... i'm really more of a visceral person and i usually need some sort of proff something is working or will work but at the very least it's neutral and  could argue the point that if you use it (many essential oils are very pleasant smelling to spread through your living space) when you are calm you could create a neural connection there.

on another note, the worst thing i've noticed about my PTSD, after my 'frozen' period where i mostly felt nothing is that your average panic attack which is nothing to sneeze at could, given the right circumstances (for some reason sunday late nights going into monday mornings are a concern/trigger point for me) i go through this... total breakdown where a bed of general anxiety and fear is laid down and the smallest thing will set off a panic attack. these episodes will last for 4-5 hours and i could easily have 2,3,4 panic attacks an hour in that time. I find the weirdest things to latch on to to hold on to my sanity (running sink water, sitting in a chair i normally don't sit in, pacing because to sit down will trigger another panic attack, running warm water over my hands or feet) this type of stuff really makes me feel crazy and is a fresh new hell in my battles with mental health. any experience or advice on this?

Yea it's a horrible thing to have to go through and the bad thing is that before I was diagnosed with PTSD I was one of the idiots who thought I was immune, stronger and no way could happen to me. Well learned that lesson the hard way. This is serious and if you don't find a way to deal with it you will never have the quality of life you deserve.

After countless doctors visits and MANY medications most made me feel worse, I learned the things I could do to calm myself down. Focus on breathing, listen to music (That's a biggie), taking long drives in the country. When I am stuck at home and I have issues I mostly come back to listening to music, meditating, focusing on breathing and trying to focus my mind away from what I call "The Edge Of Sanity" and get back to a normal train of thought. You got to learn to fight and try to silence at least some of the negative "racing thoughts" going through your mind. Easier said than done I know but you can do it. You really got to learn what combo of medications and alternate therapy work for you but realize this.. I know it seems like sometimes no one understands but trust me I can relate 100% and their are others.

Good Luck my friend and may you find peace
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
PTSD is a real issue.  For years after I was discharged from the service, I was in constant denial of any symptoms I may have been experiencing and, embarrassed to say, was suspect of others who were diagnosed with it.  People who knew me both before and after I went into the military said they had noticed a drastic change, but I wanted nothing to do with it - I thought it made one 'weak.'  As a matter of fact, for years I would deny the symptoms during psych exams, even though I suspected I had them.

Eventually, after about 20 years, my life was falling apart.  I was drinking too much, my marriage collapsed, and I became homeless.  I blamed it on the booze, and sought help for that and stopped drinking.  Lo and behold, I still couldn't hold down a job or be responsible.  My life still sucked and now I started to contemplate ending it all.  Out of desperation I went back to the VA and checked myself into a psych ward.

Wanna talk about feeling worthless.  I was at a low point.  An understanding counselor began to question me about my past and suggested that my problems were PTSD related.  I finally began to listen and add value to what she was saying, and received some medication to help me with sleep and depression. (I hadn't slept more than 2 hours in a row without waking up for over 20 years).  AT first the VA denied my claim because in the past I lied about having any symptoms, but eventually they got on board and I got the help I needed.  It has been a long road, but I am finally back to relatively normal, and look forward to what is next.

-dc
Well whoever said when it rains it pours sure is right. Been a rough week keeping focused and anxiety down with my uncle passing last week but got some news today that has just put my mind into a "numb' for lack of better word. Found out that over next 10 to 12 months my entire department at work will be phased out and our work going to a third party vendor.

Talk about an anxiety spike!!!!

Good news is we get decent severance package but for a middle aged person as myself with only associates degree, gonna be hard to start over. Companies all want at least those bachelors degree's or better to pay worth a damn.

This Sux.

Gotta relax and focus and come up with a plan here....
ok, no matter what degrees one has, they are not hiring a person if they are 56. that is what disability told me.

so, u are not that far along. u r wise.

think of a plan. u will find a way. and, its far easier to get a new job when one already has one. i studied all this when i spent two yrs trying to get work as an attorney when the crash hit in 2008. It hit NY attorneys first. The newspapers published that all the newly hired law students would instead be paid fifteen thousand to not work that year. then it got worse.

listen, i see how smart u r. keeping anxiety at bay is good. seriously. if u r under 56, u r ok. and frankly, the fact that i have a doctorate made it harder for me to get any work. i was over qualified. even to read to rich peoples dogs at doggie birthday parties. on camera. they said i did not have enuff experience. reading? with animals?

and, its very impt u r currently employed. it helps. big time.

and, u have worked with a firm before. they want team players. i was a rebel whom only worked with one other attorney and people under us. so, i was not deemed a team player. u are.

keep focused. u got this covered. trust me, i am not one of them, but there are people out there starting to make money again. u r in the group whom will get it. if u had a higher degree, they would not hire u as they feel u would want too much money.

they did that to my BIL. a wall street accountant. jpchasemorgan. told them they had to move to PA. then, to india. but the company tricked them all and moved to india and hired all new workers. scum.

u have a heads up. if worse comes to worse, u hire a headhunter whom will find u a job. the ones online are usually already gone.

networking now is key. go to function is. meet business men in ur area whom u may connect with. if they like u, they are more likely to hire u.

i know its brutal out there. i am a doctor of law but my husband died suddenly. i had no funds to rent an office. had a job offer on park avenue in NYC till the patriot act makes u give up ur age. when they heard i was older than i look, they took the offer off the table. its discrimination but no one cares about age discrimination.

u can do this. i see u work well under pressure. focus. plan. u r in the group of people being hired. honestly.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Thanks Charon for the encouragement.. I do beat the 56 year mark not by much though. Bad thing here as I have been with them 12 years and we do get severance package of one year. Problem being I have to ride out the storm. If I look for another job now and take it before they release me from my contract (and I don't know the exact release date no one does) I do not the the severance so I have to ride it out to the end. 

I know I can get something lined up got a lot of friends and I already working things out..

Just a TOTAL surprise today and sure did not need it..

Thanks Again Charon.. Angel Angel Angel
these kind of events are stressful...even if they lead to better opportunities.

Charon is right...we can see that this will work out for you. for example, in your next job..maybe experience will mean more than education.

and a year to plan for it is wonderful !!!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
(05-12-2017, 02:43 AM)Popster Wrote: these kind of events are stressful...even if they lead to better opportunities.

Charon is right...we can see that this will work out for you.  for example, in your next job..maybe experience will mean more than education.

and a year to plan for it is wonderful !!!

Thanks Popster..

Oddly enough I do feel somewhat positive just hope it's not wishful thinking. Could be just the change I have needed for a LONG time. Hell of a shocker and scary these life changing events.

Damn what a month...

Peace All
Feeling positive is more powerful than thinking positive...by a long shot.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
(05-19-2017, 05:31 PM)CrossBow Wrote: Fury, thanks for this link.  I'm glad I'm not alone, but sorry others are also suffering these things.

Hey CrossBow. There are great people here willing to help and you are NOT alone. I have also got several PM,s from members but Still a little hard for em to actually post in the open. The more I find I post and get responses back from people like you make it just makes it a little easier. PTSD is no joke and I believe each person has to find their own way of treatment but one main thing is you gotta talk about it.

Well help each other deal with it.

Peace All