Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disciplined Dosing
You guys gave such good thoughts on my "stocking up" question that I had another one for you - (PLEASE DELETE IF INAPPROPRIATE) what tricks do you guys use to stay on track with taking the right amount of medicine - by it's nature it's on a sort of personal honor system - you receive a supply of meds and there's a temptation to have a little extra to feel a little better, but if you do that you run out too soon and that's BAD...you kick yourself and would kill for just an appropriate dose again...Honestly my wife has been very good about locking my meds up for me and giving me a days worth every morning, but I know its a pain in the butt for her - I wish I had more will power to stay on track...   any thoughts tricks tips or advise? Is this something that the admins would rather not have discussed?
- Rust never sleeps
I can totally relate to this.

Im currently tapering off sleep medicine and get given the exact amount for the month, i always feel like i have lots on the first day. Im meant to take a whole one one night, then i have half the next night half, it is so tempting to take a whole one on nights where I'm not meant to and if have still been awake at nights i have taken another half sometimes to try to sleep. I now find myself with only the right amount to get to the next script with only half a dose. I also supplement it with a natural tablet and phenergan, I'm literally useless at doing this but know that the end of doctors prescribing for me is coming so i have to get control.
The part that i try to hold onto is that i can do it and function on the lower dose, it is literally me thinking i can take more as i have them. The thought of having none at all is worse and i won't intentionally leave myself with none, but whilst that is not a problem i will up my dose. I think part of it for me is just the fact of having something for my brain and not actually what the medicine does itself.

I can't offer advise as I'm my own worst enemy but wanted you to know your not the only one fighting this battle. When i was younger and was first prescribed them my parents used to give me my dose and lock the rest away, i would hunt high and low for the rest and if i found them i would always have more. Its actually quite scary how it becomes such a huge part of your life, id be so happy if i could stop it but i honestly don't know how.
It's all about self control and knowing your limits for the month. It's not an easy task but once you find your stable daily dose you'll find you don't need anything more unless it's a bad day. We all have bad days every now and then. Tall with your spouses about a monthly plan and try sticking to it. The self control aspect is easier to obtain if you set goals in place.
"Love your life and love others around you"
I may be playing devil's advocate here, but I think it is fairly common and natural to want to take more of something to feel better, especially if you are taking something to which you can develop a tolerance. I'm sure most people with a chronic condition can relate to counting the minutes until they can take their next dose on bad days, not to "get high" but for relief of symptoms. Good on you for recognizing that you struggle with this and taking active steps to prevent taking too many meds. When I was recovering from surgery, the pain was so bad I gave my Percocet to my husband to dole out, as my brain was mush from too little sleep and too much pain, and with the breakthrough pain I desperately wanted more painkillers just to function. Typically, though, if I am taking something regularly that has abuse/addiction potential, I have developed some tricks, such as stashing pill bottles away and putting a week's worth of meds into one of those Sun-Sat containers. That way, I know exactly how much I am taking and give myself limits. Good luck--it isn't easy sometimes when we have bad health days, but you are doing the right thing by recognizing your limits and reaching out for support.
REALLY Appreciate the feedback SaSa, Solar, Batgirl- every bit of information and interaction helps...
- Rust never sleeps
And, the thread was done quite discreetly. Thank you.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Hello 45ACP. Great topic and very good post. It is one I can relate to. Nothing like the first of the month when you look in the bottle and say no way can I take all of these. Then at the end of the month you are figuring how am I going to get by. I have started taking my does for the day out of the bottle and place in another bottle. That way I am looking at just the amount I have for the day. I work at home on a computer and if I leave them in the regular bottle and see them I will tend to take one early. I think this is a problem many of us face. It was nice to read all of the posts and see that I am not the only person with the issue. I hope you find something that works for you

I have also heard that many PM docs are calling you randomly and having you come in for a pill count. This is to stop the issue with all the diversion that is going on. That is enough for me to try to stay in line, you would think. I am going to stick with what has been working for me.

Good luck Eddie
Thank you Charon, I'm glad were treading ok here... Smile

esbayne, WOW I had never heard of that...pill count...thank you for that info-and a really interesting trick you shared too...thankyou
- Rust never sleeps
I control my dosing by never taking my dose where I keep my stash. I grab whatever I need to dose with me and take it outside of my house. No access = control. For me atleast.
Smart post, SS. Very.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel