Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seroquel vs Alprazolam for sleep
Why would you need too sign a contract to be on lyrica? I never heard of that?
OR
I had horrible insomnia when I was pregnant--I mean like literally awake for 6 days at a time insomnia. A low dose of Seroquel, in combination with Trazodone, helped me fall asleep for a couple hours and sometimes go back to sleep. So, it was probably my most effective solution at the time, which was short-lived. However, it has been linked to weight gain and diabetes. It often gives people the super munchies, and I've known people on it who "sleep ate." They would wake up to find an empty bag of chips and have no recollection of eating it. I can't comment on the effects on hunger, as I was in the third trimester of pregnancy and pretty much always hungry. I did have gestational diabetes, and didn't find that it interfered with my blood sugar, but then I was only on it for a short period of time. The makers of Seroquel were sued for not disclosing the true side effects of the drug and for promoting off-label usage. IMO, Xanax helps with temporary or intermittent insomnia; however, I have found with any benzo I develop a tolerance and daily usage can create dependence. Benzos SUCK to get off of, and are the only drug besides alcohol that can kill you in withdrawal. Have you tried atarax, trazodone, or amitryptiline? Not to discourage benzos if you need the, I just know in my experience daily use caused bad withdrawals.
I have pretty bad insomnia and I've tried a bunch of things from seroquel, trazodone, ambien, alpra, amitryptiline, benadryl, etc. Some of the work at first but I've build a tolerance to all of them. Also, many of them gave me munchies and I would totally pig out. The only thing that has been working for me recently is some ambien or alprazolam with some somas and it knocks me right out. I feel refreshed as hell the next day.
(01-19-2017, 07:28 AM)Batgirl Wrote: I had horrible insomnia when I was pregnant--I mean like literally awake for 6 days at a time insomnia. A low dose of Seroquel, in combination with Trazodone, helped me fall asleep for a couple hours and sometimes go back to sleep. So, it was probably my most effective solution at the time, which was short-lived. However, it has been linked to weight gain and diabetes. It often gives people the super munchies, and I've known people on it who "sleep ate." They would wake up to find an empty bag of chips and have no recollection of eating it. I can't comment on the effects on hunger, as I was in the third trimester of pregnancy and pretty much always hungry. I did have gestational diabetes, and didn't find that it interfered with my blood sugar, but then I was only on it for a short period of time. The makers of Seroquel were sued for not disclosing the true side effects of the drug and for promoting off-label usage. IMO, Xanax helps with temporary or intermittent insomnia; however, I have found with any benzo I develop a tolerance and daily usage can create dependence. Benzos SUCK to get off of, and are the only drug besides alcohol that can kill you in withdrawal. Have you tried atarax, trazodone, or amitryptiline? Not to discourage benzos if you need the, I just know in my experience daily use caused bad withdrawals.

Thanks for posting that. I DO get the "sleep eats" and always have a bag of chips besides my bed. I wake up and must have food!  Then I knock back out again and only remember it from the crumbs in bed the next morning. Duh, a little slow in connecting it to the seroquel.
(01-15-2017, 10:03 PM)hqinmaine Wrote: You are exactly right. I was primarily prescribed xanax for panic attacks, and secondly for sleep. I do like it for sleep though because it didn't stay in my system long, and I woke up refreshed (as opposed to the weird Frankenstein state I seem to wake up now, with seroquel.) I am really tired of the doctors now prescribing off label uses of antidepressants for everything because of their fear of prescribing a "controlled" substance. In Maine, they declared LYRICA a controlled substance and I had to sign a contract to get it. Jeez.

I take Ambien for sleep from a Rx from my PC Dr.  but he cut off the alprazolam for some reason and gives me ativan but it doesn't work for anxiety so need alprazolam. Huh
Would never use seroquel just to sleep. Got it from the doc time ago, to help panik attack. Stopped using it cause of the side effects. Just my oppinion.
Serial killers will knock you right out. But also just make you hungry and want to eat. I think I'd stick to your xanax.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
Seroquel is usually prescribed to be taken three or four hours before "bedtime" so you don't have the sleepy effects the next day but i do still feel groggy somewhat. I am scripted it for insomnia but only take half a 50 mg pill occasionally when my sleeping is horrible. I can't take Ambien at all since it causes me to sleepwalk and do weird stuff... scary stuff that!

Xanax is very addicting so i would be careful relying on that for ongoing sleep issues--very short half life and easy to get used to.

Cheers
I take seriquil at night, it works well, but I absolutely hate it if I run out and the pharmacy always seems to have to order it. I get these panic attacks that make it feel like im falling and kinda makes me nauseous. I take 400mg, I suggest if you do take it to keep the dose as low as possible. Im working on reducing my dose and any benzo seems to make those feelings a lot better
Seroquel can make you feel very groggy and out of it, i would take take small doses until you know what works for you. It is good for sleeping problems and of course used for bi-polar etc but it is strong so tread carefully especially if are prescribed and have a job in the morning Smile

Xanax does work well for Panic attacks but i wouldn't take it for general anxiety--it is fast acting but very addictive.